Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you were too...

User Info Menu

Default Re: If you were too...

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Ftw View Post
    Hey,

If you were to buy new heads for your drums and cymbals, hi-hats, pedals etc etc, and you loved a famous drummer and the sound of his kit.

Would you choose the ones he uses?
    You know what? There are equally good points here. If you like the sound of a certain drummer and you feel confident in being able to duplicate thier sound and style....Go for it.

Just don't forget to add your own little "zing" to thier style and make it your own. other than that, go for it.

As for your actual question, would I? No I would not myself buy gear for my set to try to duplicate a famous drummers set because I would not be able to accuratley duplicate his sound. I could mimmic his style of playing with tons of practice, but not his sound. I like my setup, and am still working on upgrading cymbals on my set for higher quality sound.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

As has been mentioned, you will for the most part never be able to mimic a particular artist's sound perfectly cause of the reasons mentioned except for perhaps a cymbal array. I think it's okay to try and emulate a favorite artists set-up and cymbal choice if you think that you would like to play that way. Even if you try to copy a favorite artists set-up, your playing style and sound will still be unique. So I say yes.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I've been more swayed to arrange my stuff like an idol in the past (see Jimmy Chamberlin's tom arrangement) than to buy specific equipment just because they use it or it bears their signature. While I love JC, I don't have his signature snare drum nor do I plan on picking it up.

I'm still likely to investigate a piece of gear if someone I really like uses it, but I'm less impulsive now than when I was younger.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Wow, lots of interesting responses. It's just a hard thing for me to choose. Thanks for all your responses, I suppose the end result is that it all comes down to opinion. Oh and I didn't mean imitate his/her kit like 100% i mean just pieces of the kit.

User Info Menu

id say a signature snare would be a good little add on, however.
    Last edited by almostmatt1; 10-17-2010 at 03:28 AM. Reason: typo
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex