Thread: Upgrading My Cymbals.

User Info Menu

Arrow Upgrading My Cymbals.

Hey drummers! firstly i would like to say that this is my first post out here and im pretty excited to get some opinions.

I recently took delivery of a new DW Collectors Series drum kit, up from a pearl vision.

I purchased some Zildjian ZXT's for my pearl (14"Hats, 16 + 18" crash and a 22"ride) and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm prepared to pay premium, I'm fully aware of top model costs.

Some info - I'm a rock/pop drummer primarily, however i would like the cymbals to be versatile to a certain extent.

Opinions + Advice would be much appreciated! Thanks
    Dw Collector's Series - Broken Glass.
    Zildjian Cymbals.
    Dw Edge Snare Drum - Puresound Snare Wires.
    Evans Drumheads.
    Ahead Drumsticks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Upgrading My Cymbals.

Welcome to DrumChat! Whoa! Congrats on the upgrade from Pearl to DW Collectors series kit! Go for broke and get some Paiste Signature Series or the Paiste 2002 series cymbals. Pop rock with bright sounds use AA or AAX. That's my 2 cents worth. Run down to your local music store and have a listen and choose the best that suits your ears! Cymbals choices are so subjective, you'll get lots of opinions here!

User Info Menu

As late8 said, bright sounds are probably good for pop rock... so AA/AAX are good, you might wanna look into some Meinl MB20's or something of the sort if cost REALLY isn't an issue.

User Info Menu

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome!

I know, i got lucky with that upgrade :p

Yeah, i was considering Sabian's, AAX and HHX are supposed to be fantastic.
    I will definitely get to my local shop and give things a test run though.

Thanks
    Dw Collector's Series - Broken Glass.
    Zildjian Cymbals.
    Dw Edge Snare Drum - Puresound Snare Wires.
    Evans Drumheads.
    Ahead Drumsticks.

User Info Menu

If cost isn't an option go for byzance, best cymbals i've heard. I personally dont like A customs but if you want something brighter and cutting from a B20 cymbal I suggest that. HHX are the most versatile I think

User Info Menu

I play the same music as you and I use a combination of Sabian AA and AAX, they sound awesome and I would be comfortable using them for most genres. Sabian HHX, Paiste 2002 and Signature, and Zildjian A and A Custom are all pretty versatile series to look at as well. But like late8 said, in the end it's about what sounds good to your ears.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Don't hesitate to look at Zildjian K or K Custom. They aren't just for jazz, and they sound great! AAX/AA/HHX/HH are all great as well. Can't really go wrong with high end cymbals of any make...just matters what sounds good to you!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Matt!

You've received some good advice already, so I'll just say that I like Sabian AAX, or Zildjian A Customs as versitile lines for Rock & Pop.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome Matt!!

I would just tell you to use your ears and listen to as many live cymbals as you can. Sometimes you can get a feel from watching a live band.