Thread: What do you think about drumming animals

User Info Menu

Cool What do you think about drumming animals

Seeings as there has been much debate and talk about the lack of drumming related posts, I have one. Do you guys think it is possible to teach an animal to play the drums properly (ie recognise a beat to a particular rythm arrangement and be able to play it etc.) Not just bash on a drum kit at random? If you do think so, which animals do you think would be capable? Have you ever seen it? Can you provide us with a video or something?

Now I know drummers are generally animals anyway, but I do mean the four legged and/or extra hairy variety. Not the muppet either. Or Vinny Abbott.

I am being dead serious with this question. I wasn't sure which area to post it under so I figured Q&A most suited.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Monkeys?

User Info Menu

I sure a chimpanzee could learn seen as thir dna is 99% simular to hours, they know how to use tools. Also, as a added bonus thay have longer arms in proportion to their bodies than us humans!

User Info Menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ju7Ng-gIqc Not a chimp but it sure is cool!

User Info Menu

See, i figured a monkey too, but there is nothing to suggest the can do anything other than mimic human behaviour. I mean, teach them rudiments and beats, and they can then play to music like you or I. And I'm not gonna get into the whole DNA argument again. That was brought up in the evolution thread, so let's just leave it there.

User Info Menu

well, if that big ugly gorilla named BTG can do it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    well, if that big ugly gorilla named BTG can do it.

Aw, DUDE.....you SUCK!!!!

(good one, though, ya got me)

Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

just kiddin' nuttin but love 4 ya homie

User Info Menu

Oh, I know, dude....but now, I owe ya one.

MWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    See, i figured a monkey too, but there is nothing to suggest the can do anything other than mimic human behaviour. I mean, teach them rudiments and beats, and they can then play to music like you or I.

BIG difference between a chimpanzee and a monkey, my friend....but yeah, my answer would have to be a chimp. Or, if we could maybe tape (or staple, hehehe) sticks to their flippers, dolphins. Extremely intelligent animals.

User Info Menu

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    BIG difference between a chimpanzee and a monkey, my friend....but yeah, my answer would have to be a chimp. Or, if we could maybe tape (or staple, hehehe) sticks to their flippers, dolphins. Extremely intelligent animals.
    I was using the generic "monkey" - way to be literal. I agree there is probably a way to teach a dolphin to, as they are apparently the smartest animal next to humans. The dexterity to do it is a problem, plus the whole water thing, but there may be some alternative method. I would love ot see an animal playing drums though, but a syet I haven't seen anything on youtube - which is odd. I mean, people videotape everything and put it on youtube, so why not an animal playing the drums, even badly.

User Info Menu

The closest I came to training an animal was teaching a kid to drum. Not your average kid, but one of those Ritalin kids. In 85/86 I was in a band and we had a dog that watched us practice our set, I swear his tongue would go to the beat when he was panting. I think he was the only animal I ever knew that really liked loud music.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

Heres a dog playing the drums, guess this ends the discussions.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAJojraPs2Y

User Info Menu

If an octopus could play drums that would be sweet! LOL

User Info Menu

Here we spends moths debunking the myth that drummers are dumb and then you guys try to get monkeys doing it.

User Info Menu

Cool What do you think about drumming animals?

The saying goes, "Monkey see, monkey do." If that behaviorist could communicate with Koko the Gorilla, surely someone could teach a chimp or an orangutan to play drums...

but I agree with rd--we're trying to prove drummers are intelligent men and women and...wait a minute!!!

Why am I starting to sound like the caveman in the Geico commercials???
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    The saying goes, "Monkey see, monkey do." If that behaviorist could communicate with Koko the Gorilla, surely someone could teach a chimp or an orangutan to play drums...

but I agree with rd--we're trying to prove drummers are intelligent men and women and...wait a minute!!!

Why am I starting to sound like the caveman in the Geico commercials???
    LOL!!!!!!