Page 49 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 2859

Thread: So what drum related stuff did you do today?

User Info Menu

Default Re: So what drum related stuff did you do today?

Are Glockenspiels really related to drums? lol'

Aviator, that is a very natural thing, same reason I posted above about giving the muscles time to rebuild. A bit of time off normally allows things to sink in, and at the same time allows the body to recoup. I ended up doing a couple hours again today thinking tomorrow will be my time to rest it a bit, will be workin, where the only practicing I get is on the pads with sticks, no pedals.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Got some good practicing in today. Worked on soloing in 7. Always challenging.

User Info Menu

Played for a solid two hours today! The house has no AC so it gets quite hot, but that just means an extra shower. I've been taking a lot of inspiration from Steve Jordan lately so I worked a lot on simple grooves, really trying to find myself deep in the pocket. I'm slowly learning I'm not much of a "chops" player and am more of a "play for the song" player haha.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Jammed with a couple of buddies of mine on some metal. Played some Mastodon and some originals that they were working on for their band. Got to use a few of those hands and feet licks which just don't work in some other forms of music. Including, but not limited to, this little thing:

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

not a thing all weekend. time filled with camping, fishing, and mountain biking.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Are Glockenspiels really related to drums? lol'
    Lol....well, were all drummers and percussionists here really, aren't we?

You might or might not know, but I teach both drumset and a whole range of percussion. Quite a few of the primary and secondary kids that I teach have to be shown melodic theory so that they can keep up with the others in their classes who would obviously be doing piano, recorder, flute, violin, maybe guitar (depending on their classes and teachers of course). Thank God I kept up with a fair bit of melodic theory as far as marimba and other tuned percussion is concerned, because it means that I don't have parents saying their son or daughter have told by their teacher that they're getting low marks due to them being rhythmically strong but melodically weak....unfortunately music classes at schools are always going to be geared more towards teaching melody, classical techniques and so forth. That's the nature of teaching at schools, as opposed to teaching at a drum store, and that's what I tell you firsthand, as I've done both. Any drum teacher who has even a bit of melodic percussion experience or can even double up on piano or other such instruments and can read both rhythm and melodic scores as well as being patient enough to teach kids will certainly get more work than a drumkit-only-oriented teacher. I have to have a laugh sometimes at my average teaching week, because while one student might want to come in and learn some simple Metallica stuff, another comes in straight from school with a school percussion score for tambourine, triangle and other percussion and/or a snare score, and yet another comes in and I might be teaching them djembe or doumbek, or maybe a Latin thing on the drumkit. Every week's slightly different, and it sure does keep me on my feet practice-wise.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

" and it sure does keep me on my feet practice-wise."

User Info Menu

Band practice yesterday. It was mega hot in the garage. My hands were super sweaty. Dropping sticks all over the place. But...we're banging out a new song and I'm really trying to get wild on the opening riff.

User Info Menu

Had another semi-productive practice today. We put together a schedule to help us stay consistent to one goal at a time because we only have two and a half weeks left before we plan on recording our EP. I've got to start going into full on click track practicing

User Info Menu

Spray painted an old(40yr.old), white 22" kick res to cover all the bad marks/crud/stains and ported it. Mounted it on my Sonor to see the diff a ported res would have. Of course it's twice as thick as it was due to the paint! Nice texture too but who uses brushes on kicks? Makes the kick look bigger than with the standard black reso.

E-mailed a bass and lead guitar to jam up and maybe form a blues band!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Band practice. Worked on Rebel Yell, New Orleans Is Sinking, Surrender and a heavy version of Wicked Game.

User Info Menu

Packed up the kit and took it over to the church. We'll play for an Ice Cream Social on Saturday, so we're going to do our final practice, on Tuesday, in the hall where we will play. I get the rest of the sound gear over there tomorrow, and on Tuesday the sound guy will start his tweaking.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Sat behind the kit and made a couple short vids...nothing edited....maybe a mistake...lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator42009 View Post
    Had another semi-productive practice today. We put together a schedule to help us stay consistent to one goal at a time because we only have two and a half weeks left before we plan on recording our EP. I've got to start going into full on click track practicing
    Good stuff man. Get it done!

User Info Menu

Building a workbench in the basement for my drum restoration projects.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Sat behind the kit and made a couple short vids...nothing edited....maybe a mistake...lol
    Awesome! I'll be keeping an eye out in the drum vid section for your stuff.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

made song cover songs on you tube and posted them. plan to buy new snare wire this week. hopefully get some sticks to, ive been playing vic firth 5b in hickory and pro mark in shira kashi oak in 5b but might get some vater this time instead of the vics, and might try the pro mark white Japanese oak in 5b. pro mark and vic firth have always been my go to sticks so it will be weird going back to vater after so long.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

I removed the masking tape markers from my drum rug and replaced them with the hook half of Velcro strips.

User Info Menu

Today I put two sets together for our jobs Friday and Sunday.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Well, I'm slowly getting there when it comes to rounding out my music theory even further. I had my marimba packed in my car, coming back from teaching a drumkit student of mine the basics of scales (he needs that as part of his high school music classes.....I think his folks are kind of glad that they not only have me making him an even better drum student, but that I'm also getting him familiar with the music theory that's outside of drumming and therefore he's not being left behind in his music classes....I hate seeing that happen to any of my gifted guys and girls...). Anyway, just happened to have passed a mate's place on the way back home and thought....well, I'm not in a hurry, and I haven't seen my mate Steve for quite a while, so why not urprise him? Besides, I needed to get some info about his vintage vibraphone that he owns, as I've become an occasional customer of a music store that deals with tuned percussion here, and I remember he needed prices and quotes to get a new belt for the vibraphone's motor and a bar or two need repairing (since shelving his music gear, especially his guitars, trumpet, keyboard and sitar...yeah, he was a serious student of that too, no kidding, Steve has been concentrating on architecture drawing and design to make money....honestly though, my childhood buddy is probably one of the most gifted musicians in the Western Sydney area....many people have said that he would have been an A grade session musician, and it was he who got me listening to the wide range of music that I listen to, from the 'A' of African jazz throught to the 'Z' of Zappa and every point in between). So after the usual pleasantries and banter (gotta love friends who you can continue a conversation as though you had spoke to them yesterday....and especially when you can keep each other in stitches for ages) Steve then said..."Well...you want to show what you know on the marimba or not?" I'm like, yeah sure....although inside I was sort of packing it a bit...I mean this guy's jazz and classical theory is still sharp after all these years. So I showed him how I've been moving about with mallets, the usual scales....and then he picked up a pair and demoed a few melodies. Straight away I was noting to him the scales and modes he was using, and he's like quite a bit surprised, saying "Aha, so you have studied a bit, hey?" then after a bit more hanging out and coffees late, popped on some jazz stuff and we had a bunch of fun working out the various pitches and mode and key. He still has a great ear and still inspires me to keep working on that weak area of my ear...being able to quickly pick up and pitch melody, but at least he said he could see a big improvement on that, and we must have spent hours going over stuff. I think he was a bit taken aback that I'm slowly pushing myself to play four mallets and get a better handle of chords....even he found that getting the balance of just one pair of mallets was hard enough. Also, he hipped me onto this Finnish guy, Severi Pyysalo.

Steve's going to me "Hey, you might be playing that sort of thing soon, who knows?" Yeah. Like.....fat chance. I'm studying and practicing it off my own bat still, y'know? With no one local to be able to show it up close, and my only way to learn it is with videos and instruction books. I've a long way to go before I could even touch that, lol. But yeah, we had bagloads of fun.....I don't think we ever think of ourselves as just adults, we both still feel like we could take on the world just like when we both were getting serious about music in our late teens and early twenties. Next time I'm around, he's letting me have a go of his nice vintage vibraphone. Plus I've got to get around this weird chord progression we wrote down that we stumbled across when we were jamming. Might take a few weeks to nail it, but it will be good to hear, especially on vibraphone bars.

As to what I'll be doing tomorrow? Apart from lessons, got to monkey around with and do some minor repairs to the 'bar stool' I've knocked up recently for my co.ckatail set. Catch my missus for a short while before getting on to more drumkit transcribing (she's busy too with her work-related studies....I think she's thanking God at the moment that our places are pretty much isolated from each other....so that's a good thing for me and her....more practice for me, hehe.)
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 09-07-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Played along to some Rush, Queens of the Stone Age, Porcupine Tree, STP, and the whole Pink Floyd Division Bell, with my son the bassist.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    I removed the masking tape markers from my drum rug and replaced them with the hook half of Velcro strips.

Nice memory marking system!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Took my brand new Evans Black Chrome heads to my rehearsal room to be put on very soon!!
    DRM>

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post

I like the idea of using velcro. Very cool areFish, and thanks for giving us the idea.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I like the idea of using velcro. Very cool areFish, and thanks for giving us the idea.
    Sure thing. If the Velcro survives the vacuum then it was a good idea.