Thread: What ear plugs do you recommend

User Info Menu

Default What ear plugs do you recommend

I practise in a very small room, so hearing protection is a must. Currently I'm using cheap DIY style foam plugs, which work but do unpleasant things to the sound.

I'd like to upgrade to some proper musicians plugs, but can't afford to get the uber expensive custom jobs.

The two brands I see a lot of are the ER20 types and the Alpine music safe pro. Leaving asside issues of comfort and fit, which seem to be very personal to individual ears, how do these compare for basic levels of protection? Both to each other and the to the foamy type?

I can get the ER20s for about a third the cost of the alpines, but both are within my price range and if the Alpines are going to give better protection I'll spend the money. But conversely if they are about the same I'd rather save the cash!

Over all that though, if the foam ones give better overall protection, even if they do make the sound a bit naff, I might stick with those as in the small room the volume gets really high and I want to put the protection above all other considerations.

---------------------
    Advertisement

Drummer Headphones / Ear Protectors

You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What ear plugs do you recommend

I am a big admirer of the ER20s (although these are the only ones I've ever used). I wear them for rehearsals and gigs, they reduce the sound by 20db and hardly cut any of the high and mid frequencies which is exactly what I need as a drummer that sings backing vocals.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

I use the Heros high fidelity ear plugs. They take the decibel level down, but you still hear everything clearly.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I use those green headphones you see on my snare. They're just regular isolation headphones
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

I use these. They are not earplugs, but headphones. However, when not listening to music, I still use them. They give a bizarrely good sound, almost like a recording. When I play music through them while drumming, it mixes perfect. I love them.

The model is S2INCZ, and according to the SkullCandy website... They're discontinued. News to me. I might have to go buy like ten pairs of them or something. I love the things.

C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

spark PLUGS!

User Info Menu

I had been using Heros...the blue foam ones. Not sure which model that is. I also have some natural colored flexible Heros that I dont like as much.

In haste, I grabbed some Winchester brand plugs from the shooting isle of Wal Mart. I don't like them as much.

User Info Menu

I use cheapo's when I practice. If I remember to use them
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

i got a pair that are push in style and they cancel out just enough to still here well.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Headphones for me, I cant handle earplugs for long before my ears start to hurt. But not all are created equal. Cheapest ones are in the sporting goods section at stores by the gun supply's. $15 to $20 on average. Look for the db rating on them. F/T

User Info Menu

Etymotic Research ER20 High-Fidelity Earplugs. they are the best i have found period.

User Info Menu

ER20++ for me... but I have only used those other than my custom molds. I can't speak for the other brands of hi-fidelity earplugs, I am sure they are very comparable. My ear canals don't hurt after wearing these for a long time, as they would with hard shell ear buds. I think any hi-fidelity earplug with a silicone sleeve would be suitable.

User Info Menu

Hearos Rock'n'Roll plugs. Five bucks and they work like a charm. Plus they're washable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bloodylipp View Post
    etymotic research er20 high-fidelity earplugs. They are the best i have found period.
    +1