Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hype about the "kickport"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hype about the "kickport"

I recently got one. I'm not convinced it's that great.

Does it make an unmuffled drum sound better? Sure, because it effectively muffles the reso. Does it sound better than a muffled drum? I actually switched back and forth between the kick port with no muffling on the reso and no kick port with an evans eq pad on the reso. I thought the sounds were almost identical. The kick port had a slight edge because I felt the drum had a little more volume.

I don't think there is that much magic going on with this thing. What I do think it does is to muffle the reso head without having to take up any space in the drum with towels/pillows/pads/etc. So what you end up with is a nice muffled sound but you don't lose the volume you would with the towels/pillows/pads/etc.

I'm not convinced you couldn't get the same or better sound with good head choice. In fact I'm going to be switching over to an Aquarian Superkick II and an Aquarian regulator reso head to see if I can achieve a similar (or hopefully better) sound with no muffling in the drum.

The bottom line is if mine was stolen today I probably wouldn't buy another one.

User Info Menu

I don't think it muffles the reso head in the truest sense. But it does do a couple of things; it creates more mass to allow the reso head to respond with longer cycles hence creating lower tones, and it creates a tunnel which affects the escaping air over a much greater distance than a plain port hole. It is the same dynamic as a subwoofer for your home stereo. For the record, I do muffle my batter head, just not the reso head. I want to try it on a completely unmuffled reso head as most come with an internal overtone control ring. The EVANS Resonant Black is available without the ring, but is only 7 mil. They also suggest a thicker head for best results so I am considering an Ambassador, provided they are available without the ring (REMO's website is unclear about this). At NAMM, they were using a clear single ply head with no sound ring. The A/B comparison was not only amazing, but undeniable.
    Last edited by xsabers; 11-05-2010 at 11:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_d View Post

Does it make an unmuffled drum sound better? Sure, because it effectively muffles the reso. Does it sound better than a muffled drum? I actually switched back and forth between the kick port with no muffling on the reso and no kick port with an evans eq pad on the reso. I thought the sounds were almost identical. The kick port had a slight edge because I felt the drum had a little more volume.

I don't think there is that much magic going on with this thing. What I do think it does is to muffle the reso head without having to take up any space in the drum with towels/pillows/pads/etc. So what you end up with is a nice muffled sound but you don't lose the volume you would with the towels/pillows/pads/etc.

I'm not convinced you couldn't get the same or better sound with good head choice. In fact I'm going to be switching over to an Aquarian Superkick II and an Aquarian regulator reso head to see if I can achieve a similar (or hopefully better) sound with no muffling in the drum.

The bottom line is if mine was stolen today I probably wouldn't buy another one.
    Who gave you the right to have your own opinion?

User Info Menu

I wonder why a thicker head has better results.

- Mapex Meridian Maple Studioease - Sabian Xs20 - Paiste Alpha -

User Info Menu

For me it was a noticable difference, but it lowered the bas tone and increased the volume. I was not looking for additional muffeling from my bass drum.

I think the replys here have answered questions but also raised some questions. At least from a certain standpoint. Depending on the volume, muffeling and tone your looking for would decide whether it's a good buy for someone. Also depending on the batter and reso heads you have may also control the results you experience with a Kickport.

I think your surroundings also play an affect on the final results. I'm talking about if you play in a 10x10 room with good or bad accoustics, or with sound foam. If you play in a 20x20 room with good or bad accoustics. I play in a room thats not sound proofed, decent accoustics. It's longer than it is wide, the sound from the bass was hard for me to pick up on playing triplets before I put the Kickport in. After the Kickport, I have no problem hearing the bass now and thats with earplugs in. Just my experience with it. I still am using the stock Reso head with a Remo Powerstroke batter.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Who gave you the right to have your own opinion?
    You sound exactly like my old lady!

Well I broke down today and bought a Aquarian Superkick II batter and a Aquarian regulator resonant head. With no kickport and no other muffling it sounds is pretty amazing. I like this setup better than the old setup (powerstroke 3 on the batter and resonant head w/kickport).

I didn't bother trying the kickport on this setup as the resonant head is already pretty muffled.

I think I might eventually give a "superkick I" a try as I think I might like a touch more tone and projection.

The one thing I'll definately concede to the kickport is that it muffles while keeping the volume. Even though I like the sound of the skII/regulator better, the kickport did have more volume with a similar amount of muffling.

User Info Menu

Dave Grohl uses one. If my understanding of how much he's worshiped is accurate, that should be enough to convince most of you.

User Info Menu

Of what I read I think the kickport is a waste of money.

User Info Menu

I'm thinking of getting one, it's always worth trying these things out for yourself.

Does anyone know about the size of the kickport? for instance, I use a 22" EMAD Reso which already has a porthole, would the kickport slot in there or not?
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

I measured my EMAD today...the hole is 5". The Aquarian Reso is a 4" hole.

I think I'm definitely picking one up.

User Info Menu

You sound exactly like my old lady!

Well I broke down today and bought a Aquarian Superkick II batter and a Aquarian regulator resonant head. With no kickport and no other muffling it sounds is pretty amazing. I like this setup better than the old setup (powerstroke 3 on the batter and resonant head w/kickport).

I didn't bother trying the kickport on this setup as the resonant head is already pretty muffled.

I think I might eventually give a "superkick I" a try as I think I might like a touch more tone and projection.

The one thing I'll definately concede to the kickport is that it muffles while keeping the volume. Even though I like the sound of the skII/regulator better, the kickport did have more volume with a similar amount of muffling.
    Superkick II FTW!!!
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I did some tweaking to my kick tuning Saturday and my drum never sounded better. I'm using EMAD2 (wide ring) / EMAD (KickPort) on a 20 x 17 all birch drum. I tightened up both heads to the point there is no wrinkles even when pressing down the center of the head. I also removed the sheet leaving the drum with no internal dampening. The only dampening being the control ring on the batter and KickPort on the reso. I'm digging the tone and the drum is um…LOUD!

User Info Menu

Awesome arefish, Glad to hear it. Gonna start messin with mine when I get it tuesday. F/T

User Info Menu

Great KickPort review in this month's DRUM magazine.

User Info Menu

Wow I can't believe I didn't read that! How did I miss it?!?!!

DRUM! is mainly the source from which I have been advertised to through. It is in DRUM! that I first learned and became interested in the Kickport. The review is good, however I bought a set of EC2 SSTs from reading one of the earlier reviews and I am only mildly impressed. I'll have to look to see who wrote that review and start keeping track of which of their writers I trust more!

Now the only question is, should I get black or white?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by butter View Post
    Now the only question is, should I get black or white?
    I guess the answer to that depends on whether you have a black or white reso.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I guess the answer to that depends on whether you have a black or white reso.
    One would think so, but I think it may look kinda cool to use a white kickport with a black reso. Not sure, and I doubt it would look cool the other way around, but I'll probably go with black to be safe.

Dunno, I might take a gamble. What a gamble.

User Info Menu

One would think so, but I think it may look kinda cool to use a white kickport with a black reso. Not sure, and I doubt it would look cool the other way around, but I'll probably go with black to be safe.

I was thinking the same thing about the white on black.

User Info Menu

Well, I've got a black one in my white reso and it looks fine. Nothing wrong with a little contrast.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I didn't know it came in white. I would have used white port on black reso.

After getting the KP I had the same initial reaction that most do, It deadened my drum.
    I was bummed. But being I don't quit easy and wanting to give it a fair shot I proceeded to tweek and tune things.

I retuned my batter and reso with KP installed(SKII bat/reso combo).
    And removed the dampening ring from the reso( I know it said no reso muff needed)
    Just being stubborn.
    And what do ya know it sounds amazing.

A few things I noticed:
    When I first got it I installed it.
    Instantly improved response and volume but Deadend the lowend.
    I Then removed the muffle ring on the reso and tuned the heads.
    At first this gave the reso to much ring and sustain, so I went with the old
    faithful light t-shirt gently touching the bottom of the reso head.
    I soon got the volume, response and lowend I was hoping for.

I use to enjoy the sound sitting at the kit but the sound coming out the front was less than desirable. Now I have the same sound at the chair, But even better results coming out the front. WIN! F/T

You are still on probation KP,Lol.
    Last edited by fumbled time; 11-10-2010 at 05:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    I did some tweaking to my kick tuning Saturday and my drum never sounded better. I'm using EMAD2 (wide ring) / EMAD (KickPort) on a 20 x 17 all birch drum. I tightened up both heads to the point there is no wrinkles even when pressing down the center of the head. I also removed the sheet leaving the drum with no internal dampening. The only dampening being the control ring on the batter and KickPort on the reso. I'm digging the tone and the drum is um…LOUD!
    I too use the EMAD2 with EMAD Reso with my 22" and I use a pillow in the drum, but the pillow does compromise the volume during rehearsals so maybe the kickport is for me just for the purpose of the volume in the rehearsal room and my other band members being able to hear it properly.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    I didn't know it came in white. I would have used white port on black reso.

After getting the KP I had the same initial reaction that most do, It deadened my drum.
    I was bummed. But being I don't quit easy and wanting to give it a fair shot I proceeded to tweek and tune things.

I retuned my batter and reso with KP installed(SKII bat/reso combo).
    And removed the dampening ring from the reso( I know it said no reso muff needed)
    Just being stubborn.
    And what do ya know it sounds amazing.

A few things I noticed:
    When I first got it I installed it.
    Instantly improved response and volume but Deadend the lowend.
    I Then removed the muffle ring on the reso and tuned the heads.
    At first this gave the reso to much ring and sustain, so I went with the old
    faithful light t-shirt gently touching the bottom of the reso head.
    I soon got the volume, response and lowend I was hoping for.

I use to enjoy the sound sitting at the kit but the sound coming out the front was less than desirable. Now I have the same sound at the chair, But even better results coming out the front. WIN! F/T

You are still on probation KP,Lol.
    Are you finding that you had to tune your head higher with the KP?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Are you finding that you had to tune your head higher with the KP?
    Yes tighter, more than expected. To loose and the heads sounded flat, to tight to much sustain. Had to find the sweet spot in between. F/T