Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hype about the "kickport"

User Info Menu

Default Hype about the "kickport"

I've been seeing advertisements for this (kickport) thing everywhere.

http://store.drumbum.com/skuA-208.html

Does anybody here use one of these? Have you tried one in a store or anything? I am skeptical whether this little piece of plastic will really improve the sound of my drum enough for me to be okay with dropping $40 for it... I don't doubt it may improve the sound a little bit, but the advertisements guarantee a huge increase in low end sound.
    I have read some of the reviews on MF, but they are 50/50. One person will say they love it, another will say their drum sounds better without it.

- Mapex Meridian Maple Studioease - Sabian Xs20 - Paiste Alpha -

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hype about the "kickport"

I just searched this forum for this very topic. I think I'm gonna pick one up and see what the rage is about.

User Info Menu

I've been using one for about a month now and feel that the difference is noticable. As far as the reviews on MF go, there's like 3 or 4 very negative reviews that all came from the same guy. Just something to consider.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

That links about to get taken down...

User Info Menu

I have two of them on my double bass set up.
    I'll put it like this.
    You can take out the pillow, blanket, dog and cat. or whatever your using for muffling.
    To me they sound great. Nice muffed sound
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cole1paul View Post
    That links about to get taken down...
    What do you mean??

Hmmm. I didn't realize the negative reviews were from the same person. I will probably try it now.

User Info Menu

Keep in mind that the KP is most effective when used as designed. No muffling on the reso head, etc. I love mine, but I had to dial in the tuning to maximize its effect. I actually tuned my reso up quite a bit from the Gatzen method. They do suggest trying multiple tuning combinations to get the right feel and sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by butter View Post
    What do you mean??

Hmmm. I didn't realize the negative reviews were from the same person. I will probably try it now.
    That's a commercial link, and as such can't be kept on here for certain reasons. Those kickports look like a fun accessory, haven't had one myself but I hear they are all the rage.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Haha. I was just about to post on this same topic.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Heres something a bit interesting. It is done by Kickport people so take it as you will. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w-1PAB_ndY"]Kickport frequency enhancements[/ame]
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"

User Info Menu

I like to use pillows so it would be a problem for me as it appears to be meant for more openly tuned bass drums. I also trigger the kick, so for me it wouldn't have any real use I would think. It's a lot of stress to put on the reso head due to the weight of the product, so that could come up as an issue as well.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I like to use pillows so it would be a problem for me as it appears to be meant for more openly tuned bass drums. I also trigger the kick, so for me it wouldn't have any real use I would think. It's a lot of stress to put on the reso head due to the weight of the product, so that could come up as an issue as well.
    They give you a re-enforcement ring to offset the stress on the head. I have had one now for a couple of months and have gigged the heck out of it in that time and it does what it says it will. especially miced!
    Last edited by backtodrum; 11-03-2010 at 05:13 PM.

Larrysperf Guest

I have one . It is amazing in that it channels the sound out of bass drum and to give you example . I have a cardbord box in my drum room . Before it just sat there now it moves big time

User Info Menu

I am definately interested in one. I'd like to try one before I buy it. I have good speakers on my PC, but the sub doesn't do much below 36hz. I dunno. Maybe it's time to use this Sam Ash gift card

User Info Menu

What do you mean??
    Butter, with the exception of Drum Bum (who owns this site) and any paid advertisers, commercial links are prohibited at Drum Chat. Don't worry, I just changed the link over to the Drum Bum Kickport page. I'm sure they could use the business.

To reference the Forum Rules, see the green link "Forum Rules" at the top of the site.

By the way, I have the Kickport and love it.

Larrysperf Guest

And Drum Bum has a great price on it also

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Butter, with the exception of Drum Bum (who owns this site) and any paid advertisers, commercial links are prohibited at Drum Chat. Don't worry, I just changed the link over to the Drum Bum Kickport page. I'm sure they could use the business.

To reference the Forum Rules, see the green link "Forum Rules" at the top of the site.

By the way, I have the Kickport and love it.
    Ah, I see. I will remember this in the future.

From the responses you all are giving, it looks like I'm going to have to buy one

Does it come with an installation kit? I tried porting my last kick reso with a hot can, melting the hole (I'm sure most everyone has heard of it). My head then was pretty old, probably 6 or 7 years old at least, and was also low quality. To keep this short, the melting worked alright, but within 10 minutes of playing the head cracked, completely broken straight to the rim. I think this was mostly because of the bad head, but I am a little reluctant to try porting again, I don't want to waste a head.

What is a good method for porting? I searched it and there is a ton of stuff, but it all seems sort of risky or not guaranteed to be effective.

User Info Menu

Ah, I see. I will remember this in the future.

From the responses you all are giving, it looks like I'm going to have to buy one

Does it come with an installation kit? I tried porting my last kick reso with a hot can, melting the hole (I'm sure most everyone has heard of it). My head then was pretty old, probably 6 or 7 years old at least, and was also low quality. To keep this short, the melting worked alright, but within 10 minutes of playing the head cracked, completely broken straight to the rim. I think this was mostly because of the bad head, but I am a little reluctant to try porting again, I don't want to waste a head.

What is a good method for porting? I searched it and there is a ton of stuff, but it all seems sort of risky or not guaranteed to be effective.
    I've had one for about three months now and love it. It did lower the bass tone but seemed to increase the sound volume out of my bass which was what I was looking for also.

They are super easy to install. They come as a kit with a template with an adhesive side that sticks to the Reso head of the base and you just cut the center out with an exacto knife, slide the kickport through with the rubber retaining ring and work the retaining ring from the inside with thin permanent marker. They have a video on line that shows the instalation. The kit also comes with directions on where to place it on the head.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I've got one too Butter, and it really does do just what they say it does. It channels the lower frequencies through the port, and accentuates the attack. Nice little invention.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

if i was doing a mix i would rather take out mid range then not have it there to start with ...can always boost 30hz with a compressor

but i cant make an omelette without an egg
    Last edited by itchie; 11-04-2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: fail

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    I have two of them on my double bass set up.
    I'll put it like this.
    You can take out the pillow, blanket, dog and cat. or whatever your using for muffling.
    To me they sound great. Nice muffed sound
    Absolutely agree with the above. I use a 20" x 18" kick played totally open with a PS3 batter, and I've found it focuses the sound and really punches it out - I've played my kit with everything from rock bands to show work and even a symphony orchestra with little or no miking, and I've had no issues yet.
    A-kit: Mapex 6-pc Saturn V in Deep Water Maple Burl
    1976 Ludwig Supraphonic 400, DW Design Black Nickel over Brass and Black Panther Velvetone snares
    14" Zildjian A Mastersound hi-hats
    21" Meinl Byzance Transition Ride
    18" Sabian AAX China
    Many Paiste Signature cymbals!
    Roland SPD:ONE Percussion pad

Protection Racket cases

E-kit: Roland TD-12 with VEX

User Info Menu

I'm still a bit skeptical. Could be that they just spend a whole dang lot on advertisement.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    I'm still a bit skeptical. Could be that they just spend a whole dang lot on advertisement.
    Could Be...... It also could be that a whole lot of experienced drummers that have posted in this thread don't have clue what they are talking about either! lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I have the Kickport and love it.
    +1...and bought from Drum Bum.

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Could Be...... It also could be that a whole lot of experienced drummers that have posted in this thread don't have clue what they are talking about either! lol
    LOL!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Keep in mind that the KP is most effective when used as designed. No muffling on the reso head, etc. I love mine, but I had to dial in the tuning to maximize its effect. I actually tuned my reso up quite a bit from the Gatzen method. They do suggest trying multiple tuning combinations to get the right feel and sound.
    + 1 for what xsabers says. Sounds great on my kit. Don't regret buying it.

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware