Thread: Sa me and my mates are heading to the US

User Info Menu

Default Sa me and my mates are heading to the US

Hi Guys
    myself and 3 friends are heading to Dallas on the 13th of april 2011 (TICKETS BOOKED YAH)
    we are catching up with a friend at wichatah falls for a few days than have a RV booked for 2 weeks
    where thinking
    Little rock
    memphis
    nashvielle
    south to new orleans (is this place back on its feet or should we ovid it)
    than across to huston

we want to check out a bunch of gigs (we dont mind local bands country , rock or blues) but just want to see a bunch
    so has anyone got the good word on venues in these citys and places inbetween
    like venues with music every night of the week
    best place to spend the 2 weekends we have on the road and shuch
    im looking forward to heading back to the US
    and whats even better is now the AUS dollar is above the US its soooooo cheap
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sa me and my mates are heading to the US

Croikey..........sounds like its gonna be a great time.

There are quite a few members from down in that area that should be able to give you an idea where to go. Im too far north of there to help you on this one.

Post some pics after the trip and let us know how it was.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

no worries there mate we will be taking heaps of pics and video and maybe will give me the excuse to fire up final cut and make a youtube series on it
    MY KIT
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

eddahenry, I'm in the Nashville area, as are a few other members, so tell me what you want to hear, and I'll try to suggest a few places you could go. Of course, if you're here for the Country sound, then besides any number of smaller clubs, you would have to try catching a performance at the Grand Ole Opry House, or the Ryman Auditorium.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

dave0549jv Guest

i would say that you should definitely visit new orleans. the touristy bits like the french quarter are all back to normal. it's a great place for live music, awesome food and getting stinking drunk... if youre into that sort of thing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    i would say that you should definitely visit new orleans. the touristy bits like the french quarter are all back to normal. it's a great place for live music, awesome food and getting stinking drunk... if youre into that sort of thing!
    Live Music ,,,, CHECK
    awesome food ,,,, CHECK
    stinking drunk,,,, Now comeon where aussies so CHECK CHECK CHECK

And as for music tastes Pastor bob
    the guys going with me are all country fans
    But where also all musos so we really like all music
    its easyer to say the stuff we dont like
    Pop and new wave metal i have never got into blasting
    so iron madian to george strait and everything in between
    MY KIT
    CYMBALS

User Info Menu

Sounds like a blast.

The U.S. is sorta bigger than Australia so you might want to leave a little extra travel time for snarling traffic jams.

Good luck with your trip.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Should be fun. Check out where some of the Drum Chat members are here: http://www.drumchat.com/forumdisplay...u-live-41.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddahenry View Post
    And as for music tastes Pastor bob
    the guys going with me are all country fans
    But where also all musos so we really like all music
    its easyer to say the stuff we dont like
    Pop and new wave metal i have never got into blasting
    so iron madian to george strait and everything in between
    Here's a webpage that will give you an idea of what is available in Nashville. It will give you a start at figuring out what you might want to do.

http://www.nashville.com/music.html
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Nice pastor bob
    thats what i need im keen on those music clubs
    MY KIT
    CYMBALS

User Info Menu

Hi eddahenry,

Although I haven't lived there in ~15 years, I was born and raised in Memphis, so maybe I can give you a few leads. Considering it sounds like you wont be staying in any one city for a long time, I would suggest you hit Beal Street while you are there. I know it's cliche and the "tourist" thing to do but it's actually pretty cool down there at night. There are lots of clubs (for live music, not dance) all along the street. And there are usually several old school, old blues trios that set up outside... the old man with his guitar slightly out of tune and blowing his harp... authentic stuff. One thing that is cool about Beal Street that is not commonly found in other cities is that you can grab a beer and carry it while walking the street. Other cities I have been in wont let you do that. You have to keep your drinks inside the establishment from which you purchased. On Beal Street, they actually have beer and drink booths set up outside on the street

Here is a taste of a typical spot on Beal... BB Kings...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs8qPueeg8w&feature"]YouTube - Eric Gales - Little Wing at BBs 3-21-2010[/ame]

Another thing... Memphis BBQ!!! There is a restaurant walking distance from Beal Street called the Rendezvous (search rendezvous memphis in google). The food there, as well as the atmosphere, is very good... that restaurant has been there ever since I can remember... authentic, not a chain.

Although it was built since I moved away, there is a Gibson guitar factory around the block from Beal Street, might be cool to take a tour.

Last but not least, be sure to stop by the famous Memphis Drum Shop in mid-town on S Cooper street. (If you do, there is another ridiculously good BBQ joint around the corner from there called Central BBQ... maybe not walking distance but still pretty close by... awesome Memphis style pulled pork BBQ)

Hope I was helpful and that you have a good time
    Last edited by kickinit; 11-12-2010 at 01:53 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm about 40 miles from New Orleans. Yeah, everything is back to normal since Hurricane Katrina. Let me know some round-a-bout dates when you will be in the area and I can help with finding local gigs. Either for my band or other local bands.

SD
    Premier Genista kit - (2) 16"x22" kicks, 8", 10", 12", 16", 18", 5" Brass piccolo - assortment of Sabian AA, AAX & HandHammered cymbals - Gibraltor rack - DW 5000 & 7000 pedals - DW 5000 cable hi-hat

Sonar A2E kit Force 2003 converted to Vdrums - Roland TDW-20 - Roland SPD-S