Thread: Slayer/Mastodon gig

User Info Menu

Default Slayer/Mastodon gig

Just got back from seeing Slayer play (with Mastodon and Mortal Sin as backups) at the Hordern pavilion in Sydney. It's a good venue for it - it holds 3,500 people, so it's a decent crowd, but not so big that you don't get to see the band up front and personal.

I missed Mortal Sin as I was ... otherwise occupied.

Mastodon were great. They had some sound issues early on (it took a few songs to get the mix right, at first all you could hear was a wall of sound, then drums were overbearing, but finally got it right) but still moved the crowd. It's relatively complex music for something so aggressive, lots of rythmic shifts and odd timings, so I was stoked that the crowd dug it so much. Brann Dailer played his arse off - he's got such a definitive style, playing a lot of notes in order to create what seems like a paradoxically laid back groove.

Slayer were something else all together. When they played the first song (God Hates Us All) the entire place erupted. It was one of the most intense gigs I've been to for quite a while. They played through a stack of songs from all their albums - the biggest crowd reaction obviously being for 'Angel of Death' and 'Reign in Blood'. I'm still covered in aches and bruises from the mosh-pit from those songs in particular. I must be getting old. My neck is still really stiff.

Dave Lombardo's kit was MASSIVE - the toms above his bass drums were so big, it was like he started with floor toms and then everything just got bigger. And by god did he play. I was amazed at how much he grooved considering the speed of it all. Listen to 'Reign in Blood' and it's so fast, but he really made it groove like nobodies business.

User Info Menu

i bet lombardo sounds even better now with slayer than he did back in 92 when i saw him with them last. the old slayer stuff was great but he has become so much better of a drummer in the years away from slayer.

User Info Menu

lombardo kicked ***. its really not fair how he gets slammed by other fans that he isnt as good as paul and cant keep up etc. he is a great drummer with plenty of groove and speed.

User Info Menu

and timing is excellent too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80
    lombardo kicked ***. its really not fair how he gets slammed by other fans that he isnt as good as paul and cant keep up etc. he is a great drummer with plenty of groove and speed.
    i have never EVER heard anyone say that. if i did i would kick them where thier nads used to be. for if they said such things they would be nuttless noobs anyway

User Info Menu

yes its really upsetting. check out the slayer message board on their website.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80
    yes its really upsetting. check out the slayer message board on their website.
    Wow. That's weird.

I always felt a bit sorry for Paul, because he spent such a long time living in Lombardo's shadow. But he's got his own style (check out the drumming on the new Exodus album, it's really well done).

User Info Menu

About the Exodus album, I will, and I love Pauls drumming style. GHUS was one of Slayer's golden albums and Paul did an amazing job on that album. Dave has is own style and a mean drummer and doesnt deserve the beating he is getting from just a handfull of fans.