Thread: Heal-Toe Technique

User Info Menu

Default Heal-Toe Technique

Hey just wondering if anybody here uses Heal-toe method for anything?

User Info Menu

I use it to impress my friends that i can do the heel-toe thing. actually using it musically though... no i find doubles on the pedals faster and easier.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

same, especially for doubles, I find it takes almost no effort once you get the technique down.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I've used heel-toe on my right foot for ages and find it really useful.

For example, fills where you play alternating doubles between hands and feet. Playing the 'horse-gallop' beat (offset triplet kind of thing) I generally play 2 right and 1 left. Also for the Bonham stutter kind of thing (like he plays in 'Good times Bad times' and 'the Immigrant Song'

User Info Menu

Iv always wondered about that john Bonham.. if he used heal-toe in 'good times bad times' or just his foot. I'm putting my money on the foot because Bonham is just crazy.

User Info Menu

Heel/toe tends to be more old school. Not as many drummers use it anymore. Most current drummers stay heel up most of the time, unless their doing the open/close hi-hat thing ostinato while playing something else.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    Heel/toe tends to be more old school. Not as many drummers use it anymore. Most current drummers stay heel up most of the time, unless their doing the open/close hi-hat thing ostinato while playing something else.
    Maybe, but double bass drumming techniques use heel-toe a fair bit to get increased speed (if you can heel-toe on both feet, you've almost doubled your speed).

I hadn't even thought of hi-hats - the only way I can get a decent hi-hat splash is by using my heel.

User Info Menu

i use heel/toe, but i like to try and use just heel up because the sound is more consistant

User Info Menu

i found if you just practice it enough you can control your speed, but I try to do heal up as much as possible because it takes a lot more effort to pull off a fast double with heal up then if you were doing heal-toe, thus making your foot stronger!

User Info Menu

the only thing I use it on is the hi hat. I cant believe no one has stated that.I have size 13-14 feet and use a DW 4000 double pedal.No way I can use that techn with those! But when you're on the ride,try it on the hat as opposed to 1/4's on the floor.