Thread: Working=drums gone.

User Info Menu

Default Working=drums gone.

hey guys, just regarding jobs which i know tons of you probably have. Did anyone here ever have to put away drums for a long period of time because of work or anything? my employer said I'll be working 40 hours a week in the summer. Dang just hope I don't lost interest or anything

User Info Menu

Working forty hours a week, you should still find some time to play the drums. After a week you'll adapt to the routine. I work forty hours a week, and in times when I had a job with lots of overtime I worked closer to sixty hours some week and still found time to practice and play out.

What kind of job is it?
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

Well, that all depends on YOU. 40 hours a week isn't really a lot, after all. For a while, a few years back, I was working 50+ hours a week, Monday-Friday, playing gigs with my band on the weekends, band rehearsals on Sundays (on the off weekends), and bouncing on off-nights when I wasn't playing. So, your commitment to drumming all depends on you. Working 40 hours a week still leaves LOTS of time to play.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

I used to work for a plastics manufacturing company that would send me to different plants all over the US. I would be gone sometimes for a month at a time. I did that job for 4 years and my musical progression was completely stagnant during that time. It's very tough to make any headway when you are away for that long of time. In the 2 weeks that I would be home, I would have to relearn everything I had forgotten the previous month, and by the time I got back up to speed again, it was time to leave again. 40 hours a week is a piece of cake to work around. It really should'nt effect your playing. I work 40 every week and still get from 10-12 hours of practice in every week.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CyberComa
    What kind of job is it?
    Well i'm working at a grocery store, I live right close to it so its pretty convenient. Thanks guys its good to know i'm going to be able to fit drummin in there as well . I'm only 16 so I've never worked 40 hours a week before its always been part time before.

User Info Menu

forty hours a week should still give you at least 10 hours of practice a week. and on the big days just get the pad out in front of the tv.

User Info Menu

I work more than 40 hours normally. It's a job - you can work around it. It does take some getting used to, but I reckon you'll be even more keen to play after a long shift.

User Info Menu

Cool Working=drums gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    hey guys, just regarding jobs which i know tons of you probably have. Did anyone here ever have to put away drums for a long period of time because of work or anything? my employer said I'll be working 40 hours a week in the summer. Dang just hope I don't lost interest or anything
    No! No! NO!

If you want to do somethin', man, you'll find the time to do it. You may have a short period of adjustment until you get used to your new schedule, but don't use it as an excuse to slack off...and if your schedule allows, you may still have a day or two where you can get some practicing in, whether it's on the set or on the pad. (Or if you have hand drums, you can practice almost anywhere.)

As I posted before, it drove me crazy when I couldn't play when I broke my finger some years ago, but I did what I could...and it didn't take too long to get back up to speed...

Keep up the practice, man, and
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jobby
    I work more than 40 hours normally. It's a job - you can work around it. It does take some getting used to, but I reckon you'll be even more keen to play after a long shift.
    I was hopeing that would be the case! thanks alot guys im feel'n good about this now

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin
    I was hopeing that would be the case! thanks alot guys im feel'n good about this now
    Cool!

You'll also have a bit more cash to spare, I'd imagine. So you could save a bit and pick up something drum related. Maybe even something like a good drumming DVD to check out and get inspired during time off (there are so many cool ones to recommend).

Good luck with the working hours - it can be a pain in the neck but the rewards (both short-term and long-term) are so great that you'll never regret it.

If anything, maybe do a bit of planning before you practice. You can get more out of one hour of good, focused, targeted practice than much more time spent aimlessly noodling about (not that there's anything wrong with noodling).

User Info Menu

I work 40 hours a week, I go to the gym 5 days a week for an hour and a half each day, I am involved in my church, I clean, do laundry, cook, I am a mother and a wife. If I can find time to drum 2 hours a day anyone can, you just have to learn how to prioritize.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Jobby(not that there's anything wrong with noodling).[/QUOTE]

I completely agree! LOL

User Info Menu

i'm looking forward to when my 40 hr a week job IS playing playing drums. at wich i will be happy to work extra
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 04-22-2007 at 05:09 PM.

User Info Menu

oh.. that be wicked man

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    I work 40 hours a week, I go to the gym 5 days a week for an hour and a half each day, I am involved in my church, I clean, do laundry, cook, I am a mother and a wife. If I can find time to drum 2 hours a day anyone can, you just have to learn how to prioritize.

Damn, Sue, you got any sisters????

Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    Damn, Sue, you got any sisters????

I also do other things I just can't post them here

Oh and yes, I have a sister but she's no good....... LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick
    Wow, I agree with BTG. I feel like such a slacker! DC, do you do time management seminars!

User Info Menu

I'm a monster! LOL

User Info Menu

40 hours is a standard working week :s There is heaps of time for stuff in there.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

yea 40 hours isn't much more time than the average high school student spends on school, homework, and extracarricular activities. They still find time to practice, I think you can work it into your schedule if you really want to do it.