Thread: Artist Drumsticks

User Info Menu

Default Artist Drumsticks

What do you guys think about the thousands of signature series artist drumsticks on the market? Do you use them? I personally feel it's gone past the point of ridiculous.

User Info Menu

I dont use them. I agree that it's gone past the point of ridiculous.

User Info Menu

I just want a pair of the Lars Ulrich sticks, that's all..... LOL

User Info Menu

I agree, I really feel there's no real need for them. After all they were designed by an individual to suit their needs. And seeing as you or I are also individuals our needs our most definatley not the same as 'theirs'. Now, if the 'average joe' drummer could have custom sticks to suit their needs that would be great!
    DRUM NAKED!

I Tried To Think Of Something Insightful, But This Is All That Came To Mind...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Most of the sticks are just the same as any regular stick, except with their signature on them and a bigger price tag.

Might as well just buy the equivalent sized stick.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Cool Artist Drumsticks

drummer, ya read my mind on this one, bro'!

I was given a pair of Louis Bellson signature drumsticks by an older friend of mine who told me, "Now don't play with them...they might be worth something some day." That may be true, but I'm not gonna be around by the time they actually ARE worth something (say somewhere in the 22nd century?)...

Of course, there came the day when I grabbed the Bellsons by mistake for a lesson. They worked like any other pair of sticks I ever used...and I didn't sound any different than I have with any other stick.

The only sticks I would like to put back for future use are the 5B Pro-Mark sticks that were popular in the '80s...they had some grooves in the butt end which, for me, solved my grip problem, felt good when I played, and have held up for over 20 years. (Granted, I don't thrash, bash and smash like some drummers, but I'm not that gentle either). Trouble is, when a co-worker and drumming buddy got me a pair ('cause I liked playing with his), they were among the last of that type still available...

Other than that, man...as long as they do what I want them to do, they could have almost anyone's name on them and they'll work for me...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i understand the point of a signature stick, but i really wish they would do something and make it a model, then say developed with

I mean, if someone likes a pair of travis barker sticks for example, and they go big time, that looks kinda cheesy, using someone elses stick, rather then say naming the stick razors or something developed with barker

The signature sticks, are basically just knock offs of the original sticks, but with slight little modifications, but i mean, it does get rediculous when there are 2 signature sticks exactly the same but one is .10 in longer than the other

User Info Menu

In my opinion I think there useless. Even if they do look cool or whatever, you should concentrate on getting better and better regardless of what sticks you use i mean common! and then maybe one day, you can put your name on one of your own sticks.

User Info Menu

ya got to admit we were all wannabees at one point. that is the market they are going for with the sig sticks. myself in the 80s had to have the pro mark 747s.(eventually becoming the peart sig stick) why? cuzz thats what neil played. so i guess i understand it from a marketing view.

User Info Menu

I use signiture sticks every now and then, i have a pair of peter erskings that i use for jazz
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

A Drumming friend of mine owns a pair of the Lars Ulrich Sig Ahead sticks. I own a set of Ahead 5As.

Perfectly identical. Except I don't look like I worship someone with bad timing and a bad attitude.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

i dont use them and i would prefer to buy a similar stick without the signature and half the price. ALTHOUGH, if i could get my hands on a pair of Dave Lombardo signature sticks.....even then I would not use them but have them up as a decoration or something like around my rear view mirror in my car LOL...just kidding!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    A Drumming friend of mine owns a pair of the Lars Ulrich Sig Ahead sticks. I own a set of Ahead 5As.

Perfectly identical. Except I don't look like I worship someone with bad timing and a bad attitude.

HB58
    Does he really have bad timing? (I don't know enough about drumming to be able to tell). I've heard that his timing is bad twice now........ I don't really know anything about him personally so I can't say wheather or not he has a bad attitude........ I just like their music.

I have to say my favorite drummer now is McBrain from Iron Maiden, I've been listening to them a lot lately just because I really like his style. I've always loved Iron Maiden but now I'm really liking them because of Nicko.

User Info Menu

^^ YAY DRUMCHICK!

hes one of my favorites too