Thread: Broken Snare Strainer :(

User Info Menu

Question Broken Snare Strainer :(

Today is sad day, my PDP X7's snare strainer is working, it wont clutch in unless i use alot of force. I could try get a new strainer but knowing how badly built these are im really unsure... im also thinking of upgrading my snare drum, the X7 was great but buzzes far too much. Im thinking smaller diametre drums, which makes less buzz (right?) or a piccolo, i have the money now, but i actaully wanted to spend that on a new ride. so yeah what to do?

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: Broken Snare Strainer :(

Post pics. No, you dont need a new snare. Most likely the same thing will be wrong with it anyway. This isnt the end of the world. It can be fixed.

User Info Menu

Dude, don't give up. It's probably fixable, or replaceable at the very least. Take the strainer off, and play around with it. You'll probably find the problem. Something isn't sliding right, or something will look out of place.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

i found the problem, there's a spring below where the shaft slides, but its blocking it and i cant really move it, i found out i can only pull my snares up when i push the shaft away from the spring but this is really inpractical

ThePloughman Guest

Ok,
    lets start with the basic mechanics of your strainer. My first impression is that you have your strainer tensioned up to the max, compressing the spring, and thus inhibiting its ability to engage. Loosen off the tension on your throw off, and then try to engage the trow off...... forget about the fact the snares will be loose. Get some tension off the throw, lets see if we can make it work. Then... we can start adjusting.

User Info Menu

... i always play my snares loose, maybe too loose, to reduce buzz

ThePloughman Guest

Is this one the side flip, with no lever? I have one of these here somewhere, the upgraded DW version. Please post pics of exactly what the problem is........otherwise no one can help you.
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 11-28-2010 at 12:57 AM.

User Info Menu

ok guys i was able to repair it, i took it off and cleaned it up and oiled all the levers, now its smooth and sparkly :D but i maybe will consider to buy a new snare... well christmas is near so...

User Info Menu

Ploughman,
    Great advice!

Larrysperf Guest

Never known Ploughman to give bad advice. We are lucky to have him here.

User Info Menu

Congratulations . Being handy is awesome
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Just to show you how maintenance is important to moving parts.

User Info Menu

ill do some maintanence when i get bored of hitting stuff...i usually end up tuning though haha
    PDP X7 Fusion Sparkling Black

Sabian:
    AA 14" Medium HiHats
    AA 16" medium Crash
    AA 18" Medium Crash
    AA 20" Medium Ride

Wuhan:
    17" china

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Never known Ploughman to give bad advice. We are lucky to have him here.
    You got that right, I had a broken throwoff once and ploughman hooked me up. This is a great place with great people.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

the Ploughman to the rescue!