Thread: Weird question: Pearl VBX and Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive

User Info Menu

Default Weird question: Pearl VBX and Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a drum set and until recently i was planning to go for the Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive, mostly for the short depth of the toms. I figured that this will help me position my toms lower than usual, which would be really nice for me since i'm barely 5"2 and have trouble reaching. I was in a store the other day and the sales guy was telling me to go for the Pearl VBX instead because of the sound quality difference. That and the prices for both sets with hardware included are almost the same.

I used to play mostly hardcore with double pedals and stuff, but recently i joined a band with a lighter, more punk/pop/ska feel, just to give any of you who're planning to answer an idea. i still would like to play hardcore if i get the chance to though.

What i want is to hear your opinions about these sets, and what you think about how i should decide - the sound quality or the comfort or maybe a totally different thing? i do know these can vary with diff tuning and set-ups, but maybe you could give me more insight about these things and/or other matters.

Thanks in advance for your help!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Weird question: Pearl VBX and Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive

Bummer, have you had an opportunity to play each of the kits? If not, I would suggest that is the next step for you. The sales guy may simply like a different sound than you, or he may receive a better commission on the sale of the Pearl kit. The key is that you have to be happy with the sound of your kit. I know there are people here that that will tell you they have one of the kits you are considering, and they are very happy with their kit. By all means, get their input, and make sure you hear them for yourself as well.

BTW, that's a long time between posts - might even make you the record holder!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks pastor_bob!

It's been a problem finding ways to try out drum sets. i live in nyc and have been going around from music store to music store, and i still havent found one that has any of these on display. i've also been told that that it's not really going to help that much even if i do find a set i can try out since they probably wont be tuned anyway. i remember being able to try out a tama superstar a looong time ago-not the hyper-drive though. would you know any other way to go about this?

User Info Menu

Other than asking the members about - like you are doing - you could go on YouTube just to get an idea of what the kits might sound like. Of course, the more professional videos will be EQ to make each kit sound the best, and the amateur vids tend to sound pretty bad, so you may not get a lot out of it. Might be interesting though.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Compare prices, read reviews at distributor's site, then go look at reviews on legit review sites, ask questions, try and play if possible, and listen to any audio you can before buying. Something that i've also done is open a window with each kit's specs listed on the seller's page, and compare them against each other. Yes, you can expect a little less sustain with the shorter rack toms. Not a bad thing, I was fortunate enough to test hyperdrives out and liked what I heard. I liked the sound, and the way they were set up. Depends if you need more sustain or less.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I's go for the Pearl but that's me cause I love Pearls. Seriously try them out and you be the judge to what sound you want.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bummer View Post
    Thanks pastor_bob!

It's been a problem finding ways to try out drum sets. i live in nyc and have been going around from music store to music store, and i still havent found one that has any of these on display. i've also been told that that it's not really going to help that much even if i do find a set i can try out since they probably wont be tuned anyway. i remember being able to try out a tama superstar a looong time ago-not the hyper-drive though. would you know any other way to go about this?
    Are you ever up in Westchester? The Sam Ash in White Plains is where I got my son's Superstars. They have good guys in their drum department, usually a bunch of different sets, and will let you play them. Last time I was there they had about 15 different kits. Bring a key and I'm sure you can rough tune them to get an idea.

Like PearlMan, I've got a bit of a bias (mine towards Tama), but the VBX look like really nice kits. Personally I'm partial to Tama hardware, specifically the tom mounting system, but it's always personal taste.

Keep us posted.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

The Pearl and the Tama are both birch shells so there won't be a massive difference in sound besides the fact that the Tama's have shorter depths. I would go for the Tama though because its hardware is A LOT heftier than the VBX's...I agree with Kaos, I love their tom mount system and the fact that they have die-cast rims.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I have pearl VMX which is VBX but in maple instead of birch, and not only does it sound great, but it also very adjustable. I have all my toms pretty low and at a very comfortable height.
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Oh, and also the hardware is really sturdy and really well built, too. The sound is quite versatile with the toms being medium sized and the bass drum quite large. One thing to consider is smaller toms I think are generally quieter and more popular in jazz, while larger toms are more popular in rock. Whichever suits your style, comfort, etc. is good
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Actually, that's not entirely true. Shallower toms are less resonant, but because their is less wood to vibrate you actually get more attack. So they sound "punchier", which isn't really a jazz sound per se. It's more of a modern rock sound. My son's Hyper-Drive Superstars certainly aren't "jazz" drums.

Deeper toms resonate more so they sound "bigger" (trust me I have deep old Tamas) for more of a boomy sound. To me this is more of a big classic rock sound. They do actually have more projection.

As far as adjustability, to each his own. I always found the Pearl system harder to get just right than the Tama, but that could very well just be me.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    As far as adjustability, to each his own. I always found the Pearl system harder to get just right than the Tama, but that could very well just be me.
    Nope. It's me too. I've never liked Pearl's system. With Tama I can get my toms just right within a few moments. That alone is enough to make me choose Tama over Pearl every single time.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dldante View Post
    nope. It's me too. I've never liked pearl's system. With tama i can get my toms just right within a few moments. That alone is enough to make me choose tama over pearl every single time.
    +1
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Buy a second cheap wallet and stuff it with money sized bits of newspaper. Stuff it fat
    GO to sam ash/guitar center drumshop. Bring a key
    Throw your fake but fat stacked wallet on a snare drum as "muffling".
    Start tuning the toms. No one will bother you with a fat stack wallet.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your input! So far I'm leaning towards the Tama Hyperdrive. Will be deciding within the week. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Hey Bummer Welcome to DrumChat! Lots of great suggestions made concerning the choices between the Tama Hyper-Drive and the Pearl VBX.

The Pearl VBX comes equipted with the SST tom mounting system. This type of tom mount uses a rim clamp that attaches to the top batter hoop. The entire VX line has this type of mounting system in place.

The drawback to the ISS mounting system is what most are objecting to in the above posts. Let me clarify the issues. The ISS uses two key studs to hold the rim clamp in place and the clamp is tightened directly on the top batter hoop.

Many have criticized this method due to the added load of the tom on the most critical of component of tuning a drum, the hoop. The added stress can add unwanted tension and lead to tuning issues.

If you upgrade to the more expensive Pearl kits such as the Master series, the mounting system advances to the Optimount system that uses the lug rods to hold the mount in place. You can see in the pic below how each differ in mounting hardware as I have one 14" tom mounted with SST (no 6 lug Optimount hardware avail.) which is the tom to the far left of the tom rack next to the ride cymbal.

This is a better alternative than the SST system since it no longer utilizes the rim clamp to hold the tom in place.

Tama Hyper-Drive mounting system uses a completely different set up but still utilizes the tension rods to mount the tom as seen in this stock pic of the Tama SuperStar Hyper-Drive mounting system.

"Would of, Could of, Should of..."

Now that I know what the differences are between mounting systems, I could of saved myself a headache and spent the extra cash to buy the better equipted kit with a better mounting system rather than having to buy them after the fact.

No product loyality on my end. I want the best bang for my buck.

Go for the Tamas......
    Last edited by late8; 12-05-2010 at 11:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Wow, late8, you just gave me another reason to like Tama over Pearl. I wasn't even thinking about everything you explained. When I said I prefer Tama's system I was thinking of the fact that Tama uses an L-Rod with the "omniball", which makes it a breeze to move your toms around (especially when compared to those arms that Pearl uses).
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Very informative Late. I too was talking about the tom arm, not the mounts itself.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Yep I'm with Late8...that is precisely what I dislike about the Pearl mounts. IMO the thing that really makes the Tamas work well in that area is the fact they have die-cast hoops, which are actually strong enough to withstand that pressure unlike the 1.6mm Vision hoops.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Yep I'm with Late8...that is precisely what I dislike about the Pearl mounts. IMO the thing that really makes the Tamas work well in that area is the fact they have die-cast hoops, which are actually strong enough to withstand that pressure unlike the 1.6mm Vision hoops.
    Yes, I agree with you 100%. Any company that provides diecast hoops as a OEM (Orginal Equipment Manufacture) gets high marks from my perspective.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    Wow, late8, you just gave me another reason to like Tama over Pearl. I wasn't even thinking about everything you explained. When I said I prefer Tama's system I was thinking of the fact that Tama uses an L-Rod with the "omniball", which makes it a breeze to move your toms around (especially when compared to those arms that Pearl uses).
    The omni-ball mount for Tama toms ROCK! Great design.

I use my old TamaTechStar Omni-Sphere to hold my Yamaha DTXpressIV toms on my e-kit!

The Tama Omni-Sphere tom rods fit the hexed hole for the YamahaDTXpress IV v.2 toms perfectly!

The e-kit floor tom is also mounted using the Tama Omni-Sphere tom mount

Last edited by late8; 12-03-2010 at 11:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Am I mistaken, or didn't Mapex for a short period of time also introduce a kit with shallow toms and a shallow bass drum? As a portable kit or something? I'd still go for the Tama ones though....a friend of a friend of mine had a few of those Hyperdrives at his store before he sold the business......and Adam for a long time used to be sales rep for Tama Australia, he's helped me out heaps. The Omni-ball adjustment and sturdy hardware just can't be beat.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Just swapped all the heads on my son's Superstars and I realized another reason I like Tama Starcast (even more than Gretsch's system on my Renowns). Because the iso-mount uses special top hoops that have spaces for the mount, you can change the heads without taking the mount off. Doesn't sound like much, but it's much easier IMO.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K