Thread: Playing the First Live Show

User Info Menu

Default Playing the First Live Show

This is a pretty general question, looking for general answers.

My band and I have been practicing together for just under a year, and we feel we are ready to play our first show. We may have one lined up for sometime around Christmas at a local bar. I want to make sure, as the drummer, that I play this first show to the best of my ability. I want to make sure their arent any stupid mundane flaws that jeopordize this.

So, for all of you who have the experience playing out, any tips?
    |---Black Hole Conspiracy---|

Gretsch 4-Piece Catalina Club Mod G-Tube Finish
    -14" Snare - Remo Coated Emperor
    -12" Tom - Remo Clear Pinstripe
    -16" Tom - Remo Clear Emperor
    -22" Bass - Remo Clear Powersonic Bass
    -Gibralter Prowler 5611 Dub Kick

Meinl 16" HCS Crash
    Meinl 18" HCS Crash
    Wuhan 14" China
    Wuhan 8" Splash
    Zildjian 20" Rock Ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing the First Live Show

Rehearse the day of. It will make you much more confident.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

I know this is going to be hard for a cheese head, but

Stay off the bottle till ya get home.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Don't overplay! You'll be nervous and as perfect as you guys sound, they'll be mistakes made during the show. Don't cop to those mistakes on stage! The audience doesn't care unless you are playing before a group of professional musicians who have the correct sheet music in front of them to judge you by.

And speaking of that, there seems to be a notion that most of us are hit during a gig; it's the "phantom" musicians in the audience. Yes, there will be some critics after a gig. I'll usually personally compliment a drummer after a club gig if I was compelled by their skills.

But the most important thing is to have FUN! Smile...even if it's the worst gig or performance of your life, at least force one on your face. You won't believe the impact a smile has on the audience.

Party away from the venue. Keep your wits about you when you're done and packing your stuff away when the gigs over! Play it safe! Getting a DUI or getting jumped in the back parking lot is a kill joy for sure. I've had "friends" in bands that have experienced both scenrios after a gig.

Oh yeah, I forgot to welcome you to DrumChat! Great place to hang out and talk drums!
    Last edited by late8; 12-01-2010 at 05:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Right on guys, thanks.

Yeah, its not easy being a cheesehead. I might have to take 1, maybe 2 shots before the show just to help pop the "playing live" cherry. I'll sip on water during the performance, however.

I like the point you made also about not partying at the venue. I really want to put a good impression on our name when we start playing, and it seems as though not being a drunk idiot after the show will help!

Hopefully I can fight my way through the fans after the show so I can actually leave! lol.

Meinl 16" HCS Crash
    Meinl 18" HCS Crash
    Wuhan 14" China
    Wuhan 8" Splash
    Zildjian 20" Rock Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    Rehearse the day of. It will make you much more confident.
    In my last band where we had semi frequent gigs, we would get together, and actually just sing our parts before shows. Whatever we played on the instruments, we would sing. Onomatopoeic. Sounds silly, but it's more intimate, and it's easier to find where someone may or not be out of sync. And it saves you from having to deal with extra load/unload.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AOGB21 View Post
    Right on guys, thanks.

I might have to take 1, maybe 2 shots before the show just to help pop the "playing live" cherry.
    Nah forget the crutch before the gig. You'll always depend on it if the 1st gig went great and you want to re-create that "magic" moment on stage. That's why I discourage practicing with lyric sheets during rehearsal. Some have a hard time breaking old habits. In my opinion, if you need a crutch to get you through a gig, you're not ready for "primetime". Good luck and let us know how it went!

User Info Menu

All good comments above. At the risk of possible repetition, please consider:

1. Practice. There's no substitute. As Canadian rocker Rompin' Ronnie Hawkins used to say, "We're gonna practice that tune until its tighter than a frog's mouth stretched over a boxcar.". When the time comes, you will not rise to the occasion but rather descend to the level of your training.

2. Throw a party or two and play for a group of friends to get over the "1st time cherry". Then do the bar gig.

3. Record a cd of your sets in the order that you will play your tunes. Listen to it over and over. Everyone should have a written set list on stage.

4. Rehearse that day and get to the gig in plenty of time to set up and do sound check with still 1/2 hour before showtime. If you don't have a soundman, one of you has to go out on the floor to check balance. Introduce yourself to the bar manager and staff and ask if there are any special rules (beside the obvious) for that venue. Smile and be courteous to everyone. Proper attire and hygiene need no explanation. You only get one chance to make an impression.

5. With the stage set up and 1/2 hour to go, start warming up---stretches like you're about to engage in some track and field events and then a warm up of hand and foot patterns in a private place, even if in your car. You don't want to get up there to play your kick-*** opening tune and get lactic acid muscle burn or worse yet, hurt yourself.

6. With about 10 minutes to go, go to the washroom and relieve yourself.While you're there, soak your hands in some fairly hot water for @ 5 minutes to warm the muscles even more. Now you're ready to play!

7. Band gathers at the back of the room and all go to the stage together. As soon as 1 person gets on stage, the audience has expectation growing and don't want to wait for the last guy to get up there and strapped in. Smile. Have a joke for your bandmates to cut the nerves. An old public-speaking trick---look at where the back wall meets the ceiling if you're self-conscious of the faces in the audience. Of course, recognize anyone you know with a wave and a smile.

8. Read about showmanship here and on other sites. Can't say enough about this aspect. I don't mean ballistic stick spins (although if you can pull them off, don't hesitate when appropriate). Lighting matters, too.

9. Have fun! It will show in your performance and the atmosphere of your music.

10. After the closer, take a couple of minutes to circulate and thank the audience and staff of the bar for the opportunity to play before starting to pack up.

Hope that helps. We all started somewhere---the journey never ends.

Strider

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot guys, very informative! Our singer is a roadie for misc. groups....he currently just left to drum tech for the Temper Trap, but should be back in about a week.

When he gets back, we will know for sure if this Christmas show is going down! (which is what this post was in regards to).

If the show goes on, I'll let you guys know how it went. Otherwise, I'll wait and let you know how our actual 1st show goes!

One thing that helps, is that every other person in my band has been in a previous band that played out before...I'm the only virgin!

Meinl 16" HCS Crash
    Meinl 18" HCS Crash
    Wuhan 14" China
    Wuhan 8" Splash
    Zildjian 20" Rock Ride

User Info Menu

Just have fun!

User Info Menu

AOGB21, just remember to let your personality show up that day..anotherwords don't be uptight..the audience is there to have fun with the band as well...so just let it happen..naturally..no fakery..
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Stay in the pocket, don't overplay, have fun and play like you guys are at practise, relax man it's going to be great !!! Your nervisness will go away about 20 seconds into the first song.

User Info Menu

Don't over play is a massive one. Stick to exactly what you've got recorded and have been practising for months.
    I played my first gig this time last year and I completely ballsed it up, I was only playing one song on the drums! (The others on guitar and bass) but I tried to do a fill that wasn't previously there and I totally ****ed up :/
    So yeah, stick to what you know and it will be fine

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. Christmas show didn't happen, but we have one scheduled for tomorrow night, which will be our first.

One thing that I am going to have to figure out today, is my rug issue. I have a half finished homemade drum rug that I have my kit sitting on at home....I'm satisfied with the material but my hardware hasnt been marked with tape. No biggie. I can still use the rug, just might take me an extra 5 minutes to set up.

The PROBLEM, is that I found the venues facebook page, and was looking through one of their photo albums with pictures from previous shows they've had. The band always has their drummer set up on this riser, then the rest of the band stands on floor level (about 1 foot difference) around the riser. It doesn't look like my current rug will fit properly on this riser. My rug is cut 7X7 I believe, but the way the riser is set up the drummers usually are sitting on an angle, which would "kink" my rug, so to speak.

So, I need a rug to prevent the massive bass drum creep I was getting on my old rug (very thin rug). Here are my options, I think:

I can use my current rug, and just sorta make it fit. The edges of the rug will probably ride up the wall, but I would think this would be fine because my equipment and myself sit in the middle.

The other option, is use my old rug. It is smaller, so it should fit on the riser, but my bass drum will not stay put unless I put something heavy in front of it. Back when I used to use it, I would either use 2-3 paintcans, or a sandbag.

I would love to get over to bar sometime today to just see what kind of space I'm working with, but I don't think I'll be able to (busy). I would imagine, since this place has bands play frequently that I'm just overanalyzing and will have plenty of room...but you never know!

Heres the link to their photoalbum if you'd like to see for yourself...although no picture is really definitive.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...60565403984438

The other option

Meinl 16" HCS Crash
    Meinl 18" HCS Crash
    Wuhan 14" China
    Wuhan 8" Splash
    Zildjian 20" Rock Ride

User Info Menu

Sorry for the late response.

Went great! Encore and all. We are playing there again next week, as well as 2 other places in February!

That first show was probably the most fun I've ever had in my life up to this point. It was relieving to hear clapping and cheering after we'd finish a song, rather than the silence were used to hearing when were alone in our practice space.

Meinl 16" HCS Crash
    Meinl 18" HCS Crash
    Wuhan 14" China
    Wuhan 8" Splash
    Zildjian 20" Rock Ride

User Info Menu

That's odd...the only place we get clapping and cheering is in our practice space...

User Info Menu

Glad the first gig went well. I'd just add to this that there are going to be issues and mistakes on stage. Don't dwell on them. No one watching even notices. Start strong and finish strong. What happens in between is only remembered by the guys in the band.

And...enjoy your music. If you're not into your own stuff how can you expect anyone else to be into it?

User Info Menu

Congrats on a successful first gig AOGB21, hopefully the first of many!! The adrenaline boost pre-gig and the buzz afterwards is addictive!!

~BWB~

~Sabian - Mapex - Pro-Mark~

User Info Menu

Now that you had this great start...it will make the rest even better! you now know what to expect..keep up the good work!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Nice work AOG! Keep us posted on your band's future!
    Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.

User Info Menu

Right on. Thanks guys!

Meinl 16" HCS Crash
    Meinl 18" HCS Crash
    Wuhan 14" China
    Wuhan 8" Splash
    Zildjian 20" Rock Ride

User Info Menu

Congrats on your first gig and that it went well!! Like other guys said have fun, and think of it this way, not everyone is a musician so most likely your audience will have 1 out of 10 or 15 that actually is and the chances if them even noticing you mess up are slim(unless it's REALLY bad lol) And the others that aren't have even a less of a chance so don't worry about it, it happends to all of us. Happy playing
    Did you hear about the drummer that locked his keys in his car? It took 4 hours to get the bass player out.

Tama Rockstar Series
    8x7"
    10x8"
    12x9"
    16x16
    22x18 bass
    13x6 snare
    ZBT 16'',18'',20''
    Tama IC jr. double pedals.