Thread: Tom-Tom Sound.

User Info Menu

Default Tom-Tom Sound.

Hey guys,

Now, you guys probably know Lars Ulrich from Metallica, the drummer of course.

Alright now, I know when bands record albums they use sound effects and changers and things like that. Lars has very "bouncy" sounding tom toms, and of course, im looking for that sound, now I know you guys are going to say to get a bouncy sorta sound you will have to tune it well but I know that other factors include the drum shell, size, tuning and the head types, can anybody reccommend some, on the cheaper side, decent sounding tom tom heads,

If anybody really wants to get a good picture of the sound im talking about, listen to about 30 seconds of the song: "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Metallica, the toms sound beast in that haha.

So yeah guys, just say what you want, as long as its about tom toms lol, I am greatly thankful for any information you can share with me,

Thankyou, and rock on,

Aidan

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom-Tom Sound.

Aquarian Studio X or Focus X heads. They have good controlled sound and not alot of overtones.
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

I don't know too much about Lars' drum info, but he uses huuuge drums. Also I think he uses those Remo heads with the power dot on them. Also I think the room they were recorded in has a lot to do with the overall drum sound.

User Info Menu

For that sound Lars used concert toms with clear Pinstripes, and Remo Rings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    For that sound Lars used concert toms with clear Pinstripes, and Remo Rings.
    Yeah NR, I think you're right dude. For the Puppets sessions, if i remember correctly, he used 12,13,14,16" racks and two 18" floors with two 24" kicks. And I think you're right with the concert tom thing too. That, with the concert toms, is how he would've pulled those huge sounds. That and hitting them really, really hard!! He hit so hard for a little dude.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spesman View Post
    Yeah NR, I think you're right dude. For the Puppets sessions, if i remember correctly, he used 12,13,14,16" racks and two 18" floors with two 24" kicks. And I think you're right with the concert tom thing too. That, with the concert toms, is how he would've pulled those huge sounds. That and hitting them really, really hard!! He hit so hard for a little dude.
    That is Lars' saving grace in my opinion. In interviews, he comes across like a tool. I don't think he's an amazing technical drummer. But I have mad respect for the fact that he, and the rest of the band, can venture forth on stage, and play beyond balls to the wall for 3+ hours.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi