Thread: Beater

User Info Menu

Default Beater

This is about beater not your pedal. My ? is what side do you prefer if you have different sides on your beater,s. I prefer the felt side. Years ago I loved the wooden beaters.
    Last edited by not him; 02-17-2014 at 04:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Beater

hard felt, i don't like that almost kind of clicky or plastic-like sound that some hard plastic beaters have
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    hard felt, i don't like that almost kind of clicky or plastic-like sound that some hard plastic beaters have
    +1...........but I want to get some of the old style felt pedals..............just for kicks (pun intended)

User Info Menu

i want to experiment/collect with the new vickick beaters especially if i were to get a jazz set i would want the big fluffy one
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

I use the big fat round type. Nice throaty punch. And I don't have to worry about which side the beater is facing.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I use the felt side of my Iron Cobra jrs

User Info Menu

DW 5000 or 9000 pedal with the plastic side hitting the head, preferably with a Kevlar patch. When miked, I like to hear the impact. As a matter of fact, we actually mic my kick on the batter side of the kick drum and it sounds pretty amazing.

User Info Menu

I have a Pearl Demon direct drive double pedal. It came with round felt beaters, but I wasn't getting the kind of power/volume I was hoping for. So I bought a pair of the Pearler round wooden head beaters. Much better, IMHO, but VERY pricey, especially for 2!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

I always used the small, flat face felt beater that came on my Cobra, until it punched a hole in my batter head. I then decided to use a Slam Pad, but that gave it too much of a slappy sound. Now I just use the standard big, round felt beater. Been thinking of trying the small Cobra style beater again, but one that has a rounded face.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

the classic 90's DW beater

depends on how much click i want i will turn it

User Info Menu

I use the standard beater that comes with the Iron Cobra. My evans EMAD bass heads came with a patch that means I get a good sound (always high compliments from every soundman I've worked with) and I also get the durability - I've never gone through any kick drum head and I'm pretty heavy hitting at times although I don't use double pedals.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I use the wooden side of my Mapex P700 beater

User Info Menu

The bass drum is the dominant drum in my playing style.
    We also tell all soundmen that it needs to be the dominant drum in the mix.

I hit the toms and snare with moderate force but like to hit the bass drum with authority.

Years ago when I used the Ludwig wooden beaters, I would punch through Evans 2-ply hydraulics............that is clearly too much impact going on.

These days I use the stock hard felt beaters that arrived with my Speed Cobra double pedal.

I also apply the impact patch for both locations on a PS4 batter head.

Good sound...........good durability.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I use the round felt part of my Pearl Quad beater.

Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 02-21-2014 at 06:33 AM.

User Info Menu

I prefer the hard felt side on my DW beaters, but I'm using the hard plastic side because the Evans pad on my kick head has a rough finish and is wrecking the felt pads.
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.