Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing drums in a band.

User Info Menu

Question Playing drums in a band.

How much experience do you feel is needed to put together or join a successful band? I have been playing for a little over 6 months now and i dont feel that i have what it takes to join a band at the moment.

User Info Menu

You can join or form a band at anytime. The key (to me) is for everyone to possess roughly equal skill level. This way, no one is lacking the skills that the rest of the band is capable of, or is looking for. Anyone can make their own form of "music" as any time - at any skill level, or lack of... just look at Yoko Ono...
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

yeah....and actually the best thing that u could possibley do right now is join a band....u learn more from that than anything else i'de say...just try to find some guys or girls that are at a slightly higher level than u just enough that they will cause u to get better but not so good that u'll drag them down...u'll prolly feel uncomfortable for a while that's why it's best to start with close friends but if u can't then just explain to them that ur still new and that they'll have to bear with u while u experiment and find ur groove...good luck

User Info Menu

But be careful of who you choose to be in your band, because I joined a band thinkgin I was going to be the drummer, but I somehow ended up playing guitar on half the songs because the I can play it better than the guitar player in our band. Now I'm stuck and I can't get out. And the other problem is that these are my really close friends and they thik were good.......so keep that in mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lhebs0
    But be careful of who you choose to be in your band, because I joined a band thinkgin I was going to be the drummer, but I somehow ended up playing guitar on half the songs because the I can play it better than the guitar player in our band. Now I'm stuck and I can't get out. And the other problem is that these are my really close friends and they thik were good.......so keep that in mind.

Oops!!! This does happen. I ended up playing bass but I really wanted to be on the drums. So, this is good advice.
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

well...for me i play drums and guitar and i don't care which one i play in what band i just wanna play music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    well...for me i play drums and guitar and i don't care which one i play in what band i just wanna play music
    Good call!!!
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by METAL DRUMMER
    You can join or form a band at anytime. The key (to me) is for everyone to possess roughly equal skill level. This way, no one is lacking the skills that the rest of the band is capable of, or is looking for. Anyone can make their own form of "music" as any time - at any skill level, or lack of... just look at Yoko Ono...
    Or Linda McCartney...

User Info Menu

If you join your own band make new things up don't try to play like another band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SPED
    If you join your own band make new things up don't try to play like another band.
    I agree Sped, if you wan't to be noticed be totally original.

User Info Menu

just get togethr with frinds and jam awhile if something comes of it fine if it don't you still have fun and thats what it's all about any way.so have some fun and make some frinds.
    lot's fo luck phillip latimer

User Info Menu

I agree with many of the replies but Metal Drummer was right on. I support my fellow New Yorker. Playing with others is what it is all about. Finding other musicians that you gel with is also very important. You have to be flexible. Practice, communicate, have fun and don't get frustrated. As I continued playing my chops got better and I felt more confident in my abilility. I wasn't as figgity on my drums. Like playing rolls and crashing cymbals while the others members were trying to learn a song. Very annoying to them. I found that the better players didn't have to tune their guitars after every song I was never the most patient guy. Which to much tuning is something that is a No-No when you start playing out. Turns the audiance off. Sounds unprofessional like your unprepared. I guess I have that N.Y. pace. Move it along, nothing to see here. Let's play.
    Ay buddy, the roller-coaster of life as a musician is upon you. Hold on tight, bring on the positive,neglect the negative and don't mess with Mr. In Between. Have fun and practice,practice,practice. Grab a copy of the songs that you are doing on CD and put on the headphones and work on timing and try to play what you here. If your taking lessons learn all that you can about reading music. It will calapult you above the others in the futher. Best of Luck to you and enjoy. It's OK to be in a band.
    Last edited by Timer; 07-31-2006 at 09:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Playing drums in a band

Timer, good comments! It may take some doin' to find a band that works for you (and with you), but you have to be flexible. Sometimes what seems like a bad experience at the time works in your favor down the road--and what doesn't work, say, with a country band, will click with a rock band...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

im sorry but i really dont think 6 months of playing is enough to join a band
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

at 6 months, I dont think you have the experience. My band (we still remain un-named, she the thread called "Any Suggestions") has been together 3 years, so I was 4 years experienced then.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

i wud say join a band as soon as u can play a few beats. u myt not start makin the most amazing songs ever or copying all ur favourite bands but the sooner u get into a playin environment the better, as all experience of playing with other people is helpful, even if it only shows u the type of people to avoid in future! I'v only bin playin for lyk a month or so and im stil gettin together wiv sum m8s jus to jam a bit and get used to playing with other people so i can understand what is really needed of a drummer within the band so wen i start a proper band attempt il b better prepared for it. so rock on bro!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing drums in a band.

Throw yourself into a youtube wormhole and look up bands from the 1976-77 punk and postpunk scene. Check out some early Cure sets! Lol Tolhurst was not a great or even a particularly good drummer, but the band still works. The scene might inspire you. With the right fellow players and a little synergy to go with your ambition and drive, you'll be kicking your own brand of arse in no time. Don't let a little green-ness get in the way.

User Info Menu

Get your stuff together before you get into a band. I fail to see the rush to get into 1. People playing 20 minutes and they're ready to go on tour. Foolish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SPED View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with this. I mean it just depends on what you want of course. But there is something to be said about playing covers. It may not be as creative as playing your own music but you can usually get out playing in public quicker playing covers which will give you experience and will increase your skill. Many bands play covers to get some cash while they're developing original songs.

And don't short change yourself in how ready you think you might be. I have no idea what kind of music you're playing but almost all pop and rock songs are very basic and even with six months of experience you should be able to get through them. You may not be doing 10-minute drum solos but nobody that's dancing on the dance floor in a bar wants to hear that anyway.

User Info Menu

This thread was started 11 years ago. I wonder how he/she made out.

User Info Menu

Probably don't even own a set any longer or it's sitting piled up somewhere ignored.

Only 2 posts in 11 years. You can bet it didn't go so well. lol
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    This thread was started 11 years ago. I wonder how he/she made out.
    !!!!!! Now I feel like a complete idiot commenting on a thread that is 11 years old LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy2015 View Post
    !!!!!! Now I feel like a complete idiot commenting on a thread that is 11 years old LOL
    You weren't the first and won't be the last.

There is some great history in the archives of this forum.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Spelling and grammer apparently weren't priorities back in the days of yore...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Spelling and grammer apparently weren't priorities back in the days of yore...

It could be better today.