Thread: RIP Mick Karn 04.01.11

User Info Menu

Unhappy RIP Mick Karn 04.01.11

Ok, I know this is first and foremost a drummer's forum, but if you had been a fan of innovative artists and bands from the 80's like David Sylvian, Japan, Kate Bush, Pete Murphy from Bauhaus and Midge Ure from Ultravox, and countless other artists......these guys have all benefitted from the unique bass styling of Mick Karn. I was kind of introduced to Japan way past their demise in the 80's...despite their somewhat New-Romantic looks, musically, these guys were progressive in their musical style.....you knew a Japan single simple because of Mick's odd bass-playing and David Sylvian's smokey vocals. I'm sad to say that after over half a year of battling, Mick has lost his fight with cancer, surrounded by friends and family in Chelsea, UK. One of my drummer friends, Simone White, well he and I have been talking today about Mick (Simone used to work with Michael Franti, Spearhead, amongst others), Simone said he didn't know Mick so well, but people like Gary Numan, who Sim got to hang out with, had nothing but praise for Mick Karn. Other muso mates of ours are still at a loss, we knew that it was a brave battle, but sadly wasn't going to end well.

For me, this was the song that started it all:

By the way, Porcupine Tree fans, recognise the keyboardist? It's Richard Barbieri. Yep, he had his start with these guys.

My Facebook dedication:

Was just listening to "When Love Walks In" by Mick Karn and David Sylvian when I saw the sad news on Facebook. I was never lucky enough to have met him, but I needn't to....his bass-playing on all those recordings through his life was what spoke to me...to all of us. The greatest reward a true artist could ever have is not the money....that's nice, but it's not what artists of Mick's calibre search for. What he had was a voice on the bass (and let's not forget those other instruments he could play, too). You know when you can recognise a friend's voice or face in a crowd of thousands? Well I'm not alone in saying that that sinewy, never-quite-Western bass playing, what you hear from his early days of Japan, Dali's Car and other many artists who benefitted from that low-end growl, through to his solo work, that voice only one person on the planet really possessed....Mick Karn. It may be silent now in real life, but it lives on in his body of work and in our hearts and memories. Thank you so much Mick for giving us your life's work, you may be gone from the lives of your family, loved ones, old and recent bandmates and your adoring fans like myself and many others writing on your page now, but your presence will always be felt. We'll do our best to see to that.

There's only one Fred Astaire,

there's only one Buddy Rich,

only one Miles Davis, one Frank Zappa

and there's only one Mick Karn.

Rest in peace....

Thanks for bearing out with me guys, I'll shuddup now
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 07-18-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: RIP Mick Karn 04.01.11

Thanks for posting. May he rest in peace.

User Info Menu

I think this was the collaboration that introduced Japan's keyboardist, Richard Barbieri to Steve Wilson (that's Wilson on guitar).....both had ended up in Porcupine Tree years later. In fact you could almost say this line-up was more than half of Japan, with some ring-ins....Karn on bass, Barbieri on keyboard, Steve Jansen on drums. The other two guys being Steve Wilson and T.L. Travis.

Oh by the way, FYI, Gavin Harrison, who also ended up in Porcupine Tree together with Wilson and Barbieri? Mick used him first on his "The Tooth Mother" album.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 07-18-2014 at 10:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Sad News indeed. We will miss his playing. I have been a Japan and David Sylvian since 81.

User Info Menu

4-1-11? Excuse me for asking, but isn't that like three months from now?
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

That's how European's type the date. day/month/year Where we do month/day/year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TxDrummer View Post
    That's right.

Just gotta post this...Mick Karn with Kate Bush. And Phil Collins. And Pete Townshend and Midge Ure. The Prince's Trust, way back 1982. Don't say I don't spoil you guys with a few gems. :P

Jethro Tull came on just after these guys!
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 07-18-2014 at 10:45 AM.

User Info Menu

R
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    That's right.

Just gotta post this...Mick Karn with Kate Bush. And Phil Collins. And Pete Townshend and Midge Ure. The Prince's Trust, way back 1982. Don't say I don't spoil you guys with a few gems. :P

Jethro Tull came on just after these guys!
    Awesome show and stewart artist. I knew you had good taste lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TxDrummer View Post
    Ah, well that makes much more sense.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank