Thread: Recycle Broken Sticks

User Info Menu

Default Recycle Broken Sticks

When your sticks break at the tip stash a set in your car and next time your in a traffic jam give the wheel a thrashing, you`ll be waiting for the traffic to stop.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recycle Broken Sticks

+1, I always have a stick in the car. I've gotten rid of more then one car that has a dent worn into the padded dash.

User Info Menu

My Mum used to use my broken sticks as gardening stakes when we used to have a house with a rose garden, lol. Wish I had taken pictures of them back then.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

This is hilarious! I actually keep a pair in my work truck for this exact purpose.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Hmmm, I've been playing the set since I was 15...I'm now 46. But, I took a 10 year hiatus...so, about 21 years of constant playing. On an average, I probably broke 1 stick a week. So, 52 wks per yr, times 21 yrs is.......1092 sticks or 546 pairs. Ok, multiply that by $5 per pr ...... $2730 ...Wow !!

Btw, when I break my sticks, I just throw them away :-)

User Info Menu

my total is 26 sticks, 5 bucks a stick. 130 bucks. I counted and still have them all. Good Firewood?

I dont drive yet but all my drumline buddies keep a pair of Sco Jo practice sticks in their car to jam out on the dash and steering wheel
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

I keep the especially sharp pointy broken sticks in the event of an unruly crowd at a show.

User Info Menu

I dont break sticks (:
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

I go through a lot of sticks - all things considered......even though I use SILVERFOX sticks....(shamless plug I guess) ...and they seem to last the longest for me. When you work as much as I do....you use them up.

I don't break them very often....but I end up "beavering" them in the middle....so I try to switch to a new pair before they begin to splinter....and I give them to my students who don't have a lot of money for sticks. I hate when a student comes in with chipped up tips, and banana'd sticks. So I pass them along to them to help them out....(as they are the students that are also practicing the most.)

But...I still have sticks that break now and them....or they just get splintered up. So...believe it or not... I like to cut them in pieces and use them in my grill and/or smoker.

After all...they are hickory.....(or sometimes oak).....and they make some good flavor when cooking ribs, chicken or beef.

You should try my 5B ribs............(to die for).

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    My Mum used to use my broken sticks as gardening stakes when we used to have a house with a rose garden, lol. Wish I had taken pictures of them back then.
    Hah... my school does the same thing with the school's broken sticks.
    Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    Hmmm, I've been playing the set since I was 15...I'm now 46. But, I took a 10 year hiatus...so, about 21 years of constant playing. On an average, I probably broke 1 stick a week. So, 52 wks per yr, times 21 yrs is.......1092 sticks or 546 pairs. Ok, multiply that by $5 per pr ...... $2730 ...Wow !!

Btw, when I break my sticks, I just throw them away :-)
    Or, multiply by $20 (average pair of drumsticks here in Australia)
    $10,920.
    Wow.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    Hah... my school does the same thing with the school's broken sticks.

Or, multiply by $20 (average pair of drumsticks here in Australia)
    $10,920.
    Wow.
    I know!!! Talk about us getting shafted.....err, hang, is it appropriate for me to say that on a thread about broken sticks???? woops!

User Info Menu

I burn the really bad ones and reuse the better broken ones for a hand cowbell striker.I made a necklace from two tips once.I think the average price is $8.00 a pair around here for cheap ones.You Aussies are either buying really good sticks or paying way too much!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    I burn the really bad ones and reuse the better broken ones for a hand cowbell striker.I made a necklace from two tips once.I think the average price is $8.00 a pair around here for cheap ones.You Aussies are either buying really good sticks or paying way too much!
    Yeah, Roland Jehan's Ozbeat sticks is probably the only Australian manufacturer of sticks.....in fact I'm not sure if he's still operating or not, he made some nice pairs, and a very reasonable price. But why we pay a lot? Imports. Factor in the GST etc as it goes from place to place transporting it and you'll see how it adds up. Still, I think that it is criminal what we pay in comparison to you guys in the States, but so long as there is a profit to be made on an in-demand item, there will be a way to make us suckers part from our hard-earned dollars. I'm fortunate in that all my music related purchases are tax-deductible, but I feel sorry for hobbyists and students that are out there paying a premium price. It just plain sucks!

User Info Menu

[

But...I still have sticks that break now and them....or they just get splintered up. So...believe it or not... I like to cut them in pieces and use them in my grill and/or smoker.

After all...they are hickory.....(or sometimes oak).....and they make some good flavor when cooking ribs, chicken or beef.

You should try my 5B ribs............(to die for).

[/QUOTE]

Is the varnish an optional extra?

User Info Menu

All you young'ins are missing it..save the broken sticks and hand them out to the chicks in the crowd during or after a set!...they like that kinda stuff!! See us Old dudes have some good ideas afterall!! LOL.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Umm....what about using an old Viet Cong and NVA trick of making your house and grounds unwelcome to trespassers?

Punji stakes?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo7XBaG_-SE"]YouTube - The Use Of Punji Traps In The Vietnam War[/ame]