Thread: Calling all Evans fans...

User Info Menu

Default Calling all Evans fans...

The kit that I and Paulm542 play at church is in need of new heads. The local store has Evans fusion packs on sale so my choice is from the following...

Ec2, G1, G2, Hydraulics or Onyx.

Also coated or clear?

Straight up question, which would be the better choice for a Meridian Maple played in a live environment with no mics?

Thanks,

BWB
    ~BWB~

~Sabian - Mapex - Pro-Mark~

User Info Menu

Default Re: Calling all Evans fans...

Ec2 Coated.

User Info Menu

Thanks nio, is that what you have on your Gretsch CR? That is a stunning looking kit btw. Very nice!
    ~BWB~

User Info Menu

I have EC2 clear on mine over EC1. If you want a warmer sound then go coated. I personaly never liked the coated leaving too many stick marks on cymbals etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BallywalterBeats View Post
    Thanks nio, is that what you have on your Gretsch CR? That is a stunning looking kit btw. Very nice!
    Thanks BWB. I actually still have the stock G1 coated heads on my Gretsch set with the ST Dry Coated on the snare. I also have another set (Sonor) which has Remo Pinstripe which I am looking to replace with the Ec2 coated heads. These coated Evans heads just give you that deep warm tone with minimal over tones....which also makes it easier to tune.

User Info Menu

It really depends on the venue and what the audience wants, if you want the drums to be big and loud go with coated G1's, more controlled EC's

User Info Menu

Wow, EC2's take an early lead! Added to the fact that a friend of mine with Saturns rocks EC2's and I love the sound of his drums, might have to go with them.
    ~BWB~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    It really depends on the venue and what the audience wants, if you want the drums to be big and loud go with coated G1's, more controlled EC's

Thanks NR, I would like the loud open sound of G1's but i'd be worried about their durability as I teach 3 kids on a saturday and the toms get a pretty heavy beating.
    ~BWB~

User Info Menu

Thanks NR, I would like the loud open sound of G1's but i'd be worried about their durability as I teach 3 kids on a saturday and the toms get a pretty heavy beating.
    Teach them to play properly and that wont be a problem

User Info Menu

Touche!
    ~BWB~

User Info Menu

I'd go for coated G2's, they're a nice middle ground between G1's and EC2's. I have them on my kit and love the sound.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Teach them to play properly and that wont be a problem

Easier said then done, all they want to do is play really LOUD lol

Ec2s seem to be the way to go :D
    'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out in your drumming'

MAPEX: Meridian Maple >YAMAHA: rock tour >Pearl Chad smith signature snare >Sabian-Zildjian-Paiste

User Info Menu

Well, I use EC2s on my Renowns and G2s on my Catalina Jazz kit. Both work well but I do lean more to the EC2s for overall performance. Tune them up and have fun.
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

I prefer g2 clears -because- they have depth, attack -and- I can always add moongel. I do use ec2/sst on large toms.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STACK57 View Post
    Well, I use EC2s on my Renowns and G2s on my Catalina Jazz kit. Both work well but I do lean more to the EC2s for overall performance. Tune them up and have fun.
    Ok, thanks for replies. Just had a look and EC2's (10/12/14) are £8 ($12) more than the equivalent pack of G2's. Worth it?
    ~BWB~

User Info Menu

In my opinion yes, I used tone control rings or moon gel before but with the EC2s no need. They seemed to tune up a bit easier also. As with all things drumming, still comes down to personal preference. Enjoy
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

I have tried them all G1, G2's and now EC2's and am very happy with the sound. Just ordered EC1's for my reso replacing the original Ambassadors. I also put a EC frosted with reverse dot on my snare over Hazy 300 and the sound is incredible.

User Info Menu

Well, just back from a little shopping trip. Ended up getting the G2's with E-rings. Mainly because they were in stock and £30 was the budget.

They sound awesome, especially on the 14" floor tom, a real growl!
    Pic:
    ~BWB~

User Info Menu

Well, just back from a little shopping trip. Ended up getting the G2's with E-rings. Mainly because they were in stock and £30 was the budget.

They sound awesome, especially on the 14" floor tom, a real growl!
    Pic:
    I still cant believe how AWESOME the 14" sounds, its beautiful :D
    'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out in your drumming'

MAPEX: Meridian Maple >YAMAHA: rock tour >Pearl Chad smith signature snare >Sabian-Zildjian-Paiste

User Info Menu

Looks good BWB.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html