Thread: Identify this snare...

User Info Menu

Default Identify this snare...

Saw this in a local Pawn shop. it's a 3 x14" piccolo snare. The shell is completely undrilled and barely visible due to the massive hardware. Looks like the system could be used on any shell of the same diameter.

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: Identify this snare...

Arbiter Flat snare.

Arbiter is no longer in business. They made the Autotune system and the flatjacks drums.

User Info Menu

looks homemade. never know. The first thing that crossed my mind was the old Peavy drums lol actually saw a full set for sale on ebay awhile back.

User Info Menu

Hey xsabers that is a weird looking snare. I would buy it just for the looks. This could be a collector's item if the company is no longer in business. What does it sound like? How much to buy this odd looker?

User Info Menu

I think Ploughman has it. I don't remember the name, but I remember the drums being around years ago. You would turn the one screw to tune the drum. Something to do with the taper on the rim and as the screw was tightened or loosened the tuning would go up and down as the rim was pulled on that taper one way or the other. I can't say I can remember ever seeing the drums except in ads. This had to be mid to late 70's. All things considered, if this drum is that old and the chrome is in that good of shape, this drum was well taken care of or used seldom regardless of the dust.

If this is a snare, where is the throw off and butt plate? Does it have one?

If you mind, what were they asking for the drum? Could be an interesting thing to own if you're into this kind of stuff.

Ok, I think the butt plate can be seen on the left along with the snares nylon strap?
    Last edited by Riverr1; 02-16-2011 at 07:32 AM.

User Info Menu

I think Ploughman's right there too, it does look like an Arbiter Flat snare. If there were a series of tension bolts running around the rim instead of the one-bolt Arbiter system, then it would somewhat look like a prototype Sleishman "flat" snare I can somewhat recall floating around Australia in my travels, as I think Sleishman or someone else had done an experiment with a flat snare or a few before going back to 3" as the shortest depth piccolo. Whatever the case is, I'm sure it would have a very sharp snap and crack to it.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    looks homemade. never know. The first thing that crossed my mind was the old Peavy drums lol actually saw a full set for sale on ebay awhile back.
    I think I remember those Peavy drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riverr1 View Post
    I think Ploughman has it.
    Yep, I do too...

Quote Originally Posted by Riverr1 View Post
    I don't remember the name, but I remember the drums being around years ago. You would turn the one screw to tune the drum. Something to do with the taper on the rim and as the screw was tightened or loosened the tuning would go up and down as the rim was pulled on that taper one way or the other. I can't say I can remember ever seeing the drums except in ads. This had to be mid to late 70's. All things considered, if this drum is that old and the chrome is in that good of shape, this drum was well taken care of or used seldom regardless of the dust.

If this is a snare, where is the throw off and butt plate? Does it have one?

If you mind, what were they asking for the drum? Could be an interesting thing to own if you're into this kind of stuff.

Ok, I think the butt plate can be seen on the left along with the snares nylon strap?
    All the snare hardware (throwoff, buttplate) is attached to the unique tuning system, which is designed exactly as you described it. I wonder about the uniformity of tension from side to side. I would love to put decent heads on it and take it for a spin for fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Arbiter Flat snare.

Arbiter is no longer in business. They made the Autotune system and the flatjacks drums.
    Thanks. Did a Google search for Arbiter Flats and came up with many photos confirming your answer. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Arbiter Drums def... were featured on rhythm magazine.. awesome concept

User Info Menu

Looks like something Brian May would make. Note the springs. Similer to the motor cycle spring's he used in the Red Special.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Identify this snare...

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Thanks. Did a Google search for Arbiter Flats and came up with many photos confirming your answer. Thanks.
    xsabers you still did'nt tell us how much.