Thread: Help with drum covers?

User Info Menu

Default Help with drum covers?

Can anyone give me tips on how to make drum covers? Like is there some technique or something.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help with drum covers?

bump

User Info Menu

play the song, and record it, i guess.
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Steal one of your mom's Duvets and grab a pair of scizzors, and hey presto, drum covers.

Rat's top tip of the week.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Pretty vague question bro, what do you mean? How do you learn cover songs? or actual covers for the drums?

User Info Menu

how to cover songs. hahaha sorry

User Info Menu

just listen to the song and try to identify the drum beat. once you get used to listening for it, playing it shouldnt be that hard
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC Rainard! Sorry i'm a couple of posts late...

Anyway when covering songs, whether you're making a video for youtube or recording songs with your band, you should know how the song goes, like what ZK said^^. Practicing to the song and listening to it in your spare time will help along the way, because no one can cover a song without listening to it first. Also, make sure you like the song, because if you don't like it, why cover it?

Jordison
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

I think Drum Bum sells songs without the drums.These are great to make covers with if you are playing by your self.Sheet music used to be almost a secret but I think many of these can be had too and if you can read music,it will take all the guess work out of trying to figure out how the songs go.I have no idea if any of these can be obtained free.I know lyrics can be found free to some music.Show us one when you get er done.We love to watch and,I at least,learn a lot by watching how others play.Good luck bro!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

I'm also kind of new to this also. I've been playing with music for about two month now and can comfortably play about five song beginning to end but not note for note. To me note for note got tedious and also kinda boring for me. I just start by identifying the bass beat and snare strikes along with the rhythm. Then move on to cymbals and fills. I usually add my own touch to the fills, but they are rhythmically matched as well as timing. It helps a lot to listen to the song your learning enough so that you can identify where you are in the song to fit I'm cymbals and propper fills.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I agree with listening to the song. Listen to it as much as you can. Then try playing along with it, the first few times don't go crazy with playing everything the same as the original. Just play the basic beat. Then you can add more to it or do your own thing with it.

Wear ear protection too. Best thing I did was to buy a good set of headphones, where I can hear my ipod and it also blocks out the loudness of the drums but not too much so I can safely hear the drums and also the song, without turning the song volume up too loud.

I don't have much experience on recording but there are many other people here that do. The recording thread has a lot of good info on there too.
    Last edited by LL70; 02-20-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish