Thread: Snare drum wires

User Info Menu

Default Snare drum wires

Is it normal for the snare drum to make noise while the wires are on when hitting the other pieces of your drum set. Just got my 1st set and I am not sure if this is supposed to happen.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare drum wires

Don't worry about it greyghost. What is happening is that the snare wirea are vibrating in harmony with other drums on the kit. If it is really bothering you a lot, then you can try tuning your toms a little differently to break the harmonic. Otherwise, as others here have said, when you are playing with a band, nobody will notice anyway, and a certain amount of snare vibration is just bound to happen anyway.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yeah I have this "problem" too...for me its mainly the other instruments in the band rattling my snare when I'm not playing. It's not really too big of a deal, because live I don't think the crowd can hear it at all and in the studio you have time to tune it out, turn it off, or dampen it.

For our recent shows, our set starts with a 30 second, slow, loud guitar intro. I usually leave my snare wires off for this part because of the wire sound. It's embedded into my head from practice that when he hits the second to last note of his intro, and the band gets ready to come in, I flick the wires back on.
    |---Black Hole Conspiracy---|

Gretsch 4-Piece Catalina Club Mod G-Tube Finish
    -14" Snare - Remo Coated Emperor
    -12" Tom - Remo Clear Pinstripe
    -16" Tom - Remo Clear Emperor
    -22" Bass - Remo Clear Powersonic Bass
    -Gibralter Prowler 5611 Dub Kick

Meinl 16" HCS Crash
    Meinl 18" HCS Crash
    Wuhan 14" China
    Wuhan 8" Splash
    Zildjian 20" Rock Ride

User Info Menu

Yep, definitely normal. Called sympathetic vibration. If you let yourself get too bothered by it, you'll never be happy. It can be extremely difficult to get rid of 100%. The best technique I have found to help is to de-tune the four lugs on the bottom head on either side of the snares. Then, you can tune up the remaining lugs to compensate.

In the end, you are better off realizing that when you are playing songs, you'll barely notice it. Interestingly enough, the snare buzz provides some authenticity to the drum sound. In fact, the TD-20 drum module I have has a snare buzz option! You can dial in different amounts of sympathetic vibration on the kit. So play around with tuning a bit to reduce it, but otherwise embrace it

User Info Menu

I have found that sometimes loose fitting snare wires will make it more noticeable..and as the others have said it is somewhat normal to have " the buzz " especially when the base player is jamm'in loud
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Yep, sympathetic snare buzz, you'll also notice a slight difference in the sound of your kick drum when you switch the snare wires on or off. It's just one of those things. Then again, think of an upright or grand piano which needs to have a slight sympathetic vibration between some strings in order to create it's balanced sound. Same thing with the drumset, otherwise is will sound too flat and boxy.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8