Thread: Hi Hat Trouble

User Info Menu

Default Hi Hat Trouble

When I play open hi hat, my hi hat spins a little every time I hit it. This wouldn't be a big deal, except the cymbal is unscrewing itself. After a few minutes of it, it completely unscrews and falls and I can't play open anymore. Is there anything I can do/use to stop it from unscrewing?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hi Hat Trouble

You could try using rubber clutch felts. Gibraltar makes some that I like, and they are about $3.00. I use them, and love them. You could also get a new clutch, such as a DW clutch, that has a screw that locks the bottom nut in place. This prevents it from spinning at all. Those are about $30.00. There are other brands that are similar, and less expensive, but I don't have first hand knowledge of those.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Maybe another screw underneath...
    Or maybe while your at it, get a whole new clutch.
    Or maybe while your at it, be awesome and get a DW or Pearl Drop clutch.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

sounds like a bad clutch. About a $10 fix if that's what it is.

User Info Menu

The clutch that's mentioned above is made by several companies and it's called a triple lock clutch. There's a key stud that's pushes up against a small innner sleeve at the base of the clutch and prevents it from slipping or falling apart.

User Info Menu

^ Agreed. I use one from Pearl with rubber washers instead of felt, fantastic purchase.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Yup, I highly recommend that triple lock clutch especially if you play alot of open hats.