Thread: New Drummer - Unsure of what brand to buy

User Info Menu

Default New Drummer - Unsure of what brand to buy

I've always been a fan of drums, and now I want to purchase a kit and learn how to play. My main concern right now is that i dont know what brand buy, because there are quite a few. My friend recommended to me that I get a more name brand kit, like Pearl/Ludwig/Mapex/Tama etc and I agree with him. Id like to stay in the $500-600 price range. A local music shop in my town is selling a Tama swingstar 5 piece kit with cheap cymbals for $550, while another shop is selling a Mapex voyager 5 piece drum set with cymbals for $500. Also, Ive been searching around. Ive come across a Ludwig Accent Combo 5-Piece Drum Set with a Zildjian ZBT Cymbal set for $550 and a Pearl Sound Check 5-piece Drum Set with Zildjian Cymbals for $600. As of right now, im thinking of leaning towards the ludwig, because of the zildijan cymbals and its still cheaper than the pearl.

Any help and tips would be GREATLY appreciated

*Sorry Andrew, but I had to edit out the links to retailers because they are prohibited by our Forum Rules - PB*

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Drummer - Unsure of what brand to buy

Welcome to Drum Chat andrewb313!

I think the Accent kit sounds like a good start for you. Of course, you could try looking for a used kit of better quality too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

used is the way to go! for your price range you can find many nice drum kits. even guitar center has a used/ clearance section, lots of mapex stuff!
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Yes, re used, you can search the Guitar Center used collection nationwide to get an idea of costs and what is available (changes each day). Good for a browse (like candy store) at least, in addition to other resources (local music store listings, Craigslist, etc.)
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

The Sound Check is a great kit. Im currently playing one, and i love it, despite it being Pearl's low-end kit. Im still playing the ZBT's that came with it, they are good to get you started, but you will want to upgrade when you get more serious about drumming. I have had this kit for just about a year and the only upgrades i see need to be made are cymbals. Once you replace the heads on the Sound Check and learn to tune, it is a great starter kit. Welcome to DC btw!
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

My buddy has some accents. They are sweet. Sound real nice and fat. They record pretty well with room mics.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

thank you for the warm welcome! and i appreciate all of the responses, and understand about getting a used kit, but id rather start out fresh and pick one of those 4 kits. money isnt too big of an option for me if i stick to that price range

User Info Menu

Welcome ot DC man. It's up to you to buy what you want. You may kick yourself later for buying one of those beginner kits mentioned in your post. You could pick a good used middle range kit for that price and be happy with the sound. Stay away from the ZBT's cause they are realy cheap and sound bad. Good luck.

User Info Menu

to my unfortunate surprise, i was checking on the ludwigs again and they jumped back up to $600. so for now, ill probably either end up getting the mapex or the tamas. i plan on buying them the first weekend in march, so if anyone has any more advice please say so

User Info Menu

I say Mapex. Or If you can stretch it maybe pearl? Target or forum? But I think with exchange rates $600USD doesn't come out as much in £ so don't know, just keep an eye out for something used, or just a new deal you can't pass on.
    Last edited by Aaaidn; 02-23-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: messed up

User Info Menu

Take your time and look for good used drums, and spend the extra $$ to get better used cymbals (hihat, ride, crash). You will want to trade up your Zildjian ZBT's in no time. Every drummer who starts with budget cymbals ends up wanting to change them up soon as possible.

User Info Menu

Andrew13, if you are a beginner and have NEVER played before then get used and affordable..only cause like any musical instruament it can get pricy for an experiment, the advice here that you see is very good..as like all of us...you can always UPGRADE! so welcome to the chat and don't forget to....
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Go used! Check craiglist man. Welcome to DC!
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Smile Re: New Drummer - Unsure of what brand to buy

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb313 View Post
    to my unfortunate surprise, i was checking on the ludwigs again and they jumped back up to $600. so for now, ill probably either end up getting the mapex or the tamas. i plan on buying them the first weekend in march, so if anyone has any more advice please say so
    See if you can find a good used Pearl Export. I am sure there has to be alot of them out there cause they were popular for years. Don't get the poplar shell go for a maple that way you will not be disappointed with the sound. How serious are you about getting into drumming? if you are realy serious then go for some middle range kits. I don't know much about other brands to compare with Pearl cause that is all I ever played. Tama, Mapex, Ludwigs, Premier,DW there are so many out there so do your homework and find what is right for you.

User Info Menu

I just started playing with a small band last fall after nearly 30 years off...I wasn't sure what to get either. I wound up purchasing a Yamaha Custom Birch 5 piece set with Zildjian ZBT hats, ride, and crashes. Once I figured out what heads sounded the best, I LOVE the kit! Sounds awesome...I think it will do me for a long time! Just another thought for you...

User Info Menu

Remember you can usually make a low quality drumset sound good with new heads. I bought a ddrum D2 kit for $400 and it sounded pretty bad. I put some EC2s on top and G1's on the bottom and they sounded like a good quality mid range kit. As long as the heads are good and tuned properly you should never have a bad sounding drumset.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

What Constinator said!

User Info Menu

Here's the deal. You need to look down the road a ways. You buy one of those starter kits, and in six months you'll have the same thing as if you went and bought a used intermediate to pro set only you'll still have a beginner set not a quality kit. You get what you pay for in drum sets new. So buy cheap get cheap. Find you a good quality set used and it'll last you a long time. Cymbals are the same. You get what you pay for.

My suggestions, Gretsch catalina series, maple or ash wood. Paiste Alpha cymbals. They're a good starting point. There are a few lines of cymbals that sound good alittle cheaper,but the Alpha line to me is the best bang for the buck. Gretsch kits are good quality. I own a Gretsch catalina maple set and sound awesome for the price. Got it off eBay through Sigler music for around $800 including a PDP hardware kit, bass pedal, two cymbal stands and hi hat.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Last edited by jafo; 03-01-2011 at 06:53 AM.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I am going to back up the used kit sentiment here. and here are a couple other things to keep in mind. if you're just starting out you don't need a full cymbal pack. hats and a crash. thats all you will need for practicing your first couple months than add to it. you can probably find a descent used kit for 300-400 .. than get a little better used hats and whatever crash you can afford .. add to it as you can. and of course price new heads and put that into your estimate for a kit.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

gretsch catalina maple is probably the best starter kit these days in my opinion. Maple is my personal favourite wood for drums and sabian is my favourite cymbal company so i'd go for sabian b8's with the catalina maple

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board andrew......any of those sets would do just fine for just starting out.

I know you want new to start but they are entry-level / beginners sets youre looking at and buying used can get you up-graded to an intermediate set with good sounding cymbals for about the same price range.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you eend up getting..........pictures would be nice too.......we love pictures around here.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Welcome andrew13 to DrumChat. I must agree with gonefishin. I bought a really nice used intermidiate kit (Pearl SBX) for a few dollars more on what you're about to spend for a new entry level kit. The plus side of my purchase was the fact that my used SBX kit came with upgraded hoops (2.3 SuperHoops), Optimounts mounting system for the rack toms, better bass spurs and tension lugs than the new entry level offering.

I understand that the kits you mentioned come with an entry level cymbal package but as others have mentioned, used pro-level cymbals could be had with some patients and luck and they will be worth more on trade-in value than the budget cymbal line.
    Last edited by late8; 03-03-2011 at 01:04 PM.