Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's build our own DRUM GLOSSARY

User Info Menu

Default Let's build our own DRUM GLOSSARY

Then we'll gather it all up when we're though and create a designated thread for it and make it a sticky. Try to be as accurate and thorough as possible.

I'll start: G.A.S - Gear Aquisition Syndrome. An acronym created by musicians to describe their so called "disease" relating to buying so much music gear. Sometimes used in a sentence like, "I have GAS."

=================================================
    Revised 7-22-17

DRUM GLOSSARY / TERMS / DEFINITIONS

Accent - The mark used to emphasize more stress on a note than the other notes.

Acoustic Drums - Drums that are void of electronic components, usually made of wood or synthetic material only.

Bassist. A frustrated guitar play who couldnt handle six strings so he dropped to four.

Bongos - a Latin American percussion instrument consisting of a pair of single-headed, open-ended drums attached to each other. The drums are of different size: the larger drum is called the hembra (female) and the smaller the macho (male). It is most often played by hand and is especially associated in Cuban music with a steady pattern or ostinato of eighth-notes known as the martillo or "hammer". (Wiki)

BPM - An abbreviation, "beats per minute", used to describe the tempo of music. A very useful application in the percussive arts.

Cajon - Spanish for "box" or "drawer" originally; now used to describe a box-shaped percussion instrument played by hands or sticks. Originated in Cuba, where the drawers of a chest of drawers or dresser were used to provide impromptu hand-drumming accompaniment during street parties or celebrations. Most cajones are played while seated, with different parts of the box providing different sounds, not unlike playing different parts of a conga or bongo head. Some cajones have snare wires stretched over a circular opening for a snare-like sound.

Claves - a percussion instrument (idiophone), consisting of a pair of short (about 20–30 cm (7.9–11.8 in), thick dowels. Traditionally they were made of wood, typically rosewood, ebony or grenadilla. Nowadays they are also made of fibreglass or plastics due to the greater durability of these materials. When struck they produce a bright clicking noise. Claves are sometimes hollow and carved in the middle to amplify the sound.

Chime- a little cymbal (smaller than a splash mostly) with a very short sound

China cymbal-a china cymbal is an effects cymbal typically used to produce a trashy effect. Common in metal music. Typically played inverted to avoid chewing up drumsticks.

Clutch - The assembely on the top a hi hat stand rod that holds, and suspends the top hi hat.

Concert / Resoless toms/bass drums - Toms or bass drums without bottom heads. Some of the more professional looking Concert toms have the exposed lugholes covered by a wrap, or not drilled for bottom lugs completely. They gained pop-culture fame for being the signature aesthetic trend of 60's and 70's drum sounds used by bands such as Alice Cooper or The Doors. Reasons of origin are unknown, quite possibly it was an idea pushed by studio engineers and drumtechs who worked with the bands' drummers on various projects and tours. However, the term "concert" does not always apply in the case of bass drums- where sometimes they are just a much larger diameter shell, but double-headed in the fashion of most standard bass drums.

Conga. or more properly the Tumbadora, is a tall, narrow, single-headed Cuban drum with African antecedents. It is thought to be derived from the Makuta drums or similar drums associated with Afro-Cubans of Central African descent. A person who plays conga is called a conguero. Although ultimately derived from African drums made from hollowed logs, the Cuban conga is staved, like a barrel. These drums were probably made from salvaged barrels originally. They are used both in Afro-Caribbean religious music and as the principal instrument in Rumba. Congas are now very common in Latin music, including Salsa, Merengue and Reggae music as well as many other forms of popular music. (Wiki)

Cowboy Kick - A person who playes the "kick" (Bass) drum so hard the "spurs" dig into the ground. in reference to how a cowboy digs in his spurs. Also refered to as "Bronco bustin a bass drum"

Crash Cymbal- a larger sized accent cymbal with a longer decay time, and a greater volume. These cymbals are also available as "Fast Crashes," which will indicate a shorter than normal decay time.

Cross-Stick - The technique, in which the tip of a drumstick is placed on the head near one of the bearing edges and the shaft of the stick is struck against the rim opposite the tip, creating a dry, high pitched "click" similar to a set of claves. - "Hey Mon, those upbeat cross sticks during that verse was sweet .... it gave it that Reggae feel!"

Djembes - originated in Africa, where they were originally made out of wooden shells with animal-skin heads, often decorated with native carvings or patterned cloth. African djembes used elaborately woven ropes for tuning. In the 20th century, shells of metal, fiberglass and other materials, with skin or synthetic heads tuned by thumbscrews or drum keys, were developed to overcome the disadvantages of older rope-tuned drums. They have become popular due to their greater tuning accuracy and ease of use. Tones on djembes are developed by using the fingertips on the rims and by flat slaps toward the center of the drumheads.

Double Bass - Two pedals attached with one piece of hardware, used to play double base rudiments on a single bass drum.

Drum Solo - the five minute mid show section where its time to visit the T-shirt stand or grab a beer.

Drumsticks - Sticks typically held in the hands in a variety of ways, used to hit the different drums, cymbals and percussive instruments on the kit to make noise.

Farfrumgroovin - The act of playing a drum beat that is horrendously out of sync with the band. It's cause is typically due to one or more or a combination of; lack of experience, poor monitor mix, wrong sheet music, wrong setlist, etc, but is usually associated with excess alcohol consumption.
    Farfrumgroovin is also commonly accompanied by dirty looks from the audience and the band and or projectiles entering the drummers space from the audience area.

Flam - a rudiment in which one stick hits the head slightly before the other, creating a daDA sound.

G.A.S - Gear Aquisition Syndrome. An acronym created by musicians to describe their so called "disease" relating to buying so much music gear. Sometimes used in a sentence like, "I have GAS."

Girlfriend: The only thing between a drummer and homelessness.

Hoop Rash - the scuffing of the bass drum hoop made by the jaws of the bass drum pedal. Various methods can be used to try and avoid "hoop rash."

Licks or "Drum Licks" - Patterns/Rhythms/Playing Styles associated with a specific drummer.

Lugs - metallic shaped brackets with a groove in them that accepts tension rods vertically. Fastened onto the drum shell via small screws, which go horizontally into the lug starting from the inside of the shell. Lugs come in many shapes and sizes depending on manufacturer, and prices range from 50 cents to 7 dollars a piece.

... continues below

User Info Menu

Default Re: Let's build our own DRUM GLOSSARY

Moongel - arguably a drummer's most essential tool. Can be used to muffle drums, or cut a cymbal's sustain. Comes in packs of four. Looks like a little blue square.

O'rings - Dampeners used to reduce ring and overtone on a drum.

Pies - Commonly used word to refer to cymbals

Ride cymbal - Usually larger diameter cymbals, Usually between 19 and 24 inches. This cymbal is mostly used for tapping on, though can be 'crashed'. Most rides have a large bell, which can also be used to create a much different sound that tapping against the body of the ride.

Rim Click - When you place the stick across then snare with either the bead or the butt in the center, and pivot from the center of the drum. Synonyms-Side stick, Cross Stick, snare click.

Rimshot - The sound produced by hitting the rim and the head of a drum simultaneously, with a drum stick. Rimshots are usually played to produce a more accented note, and are typically played loudly.
    "Man, those rimshots you were playing were so loud that they made my ears ring for hours!"

Rudiments - Similar to eating sprouts: No-one likes to do it, no-one wants to do it, but if you want to get better, you're gonna bloody well have too.

Snare Rash - rubbing of wood on the mounted tom from movement and vibration of the snare

Splash cymbal - A small diameter cymbal with a short attack and decay of it's sound.

The Pocket - That feel when a groove is just right. You know it when you hear it because you feel it at least as much. Conversely, you know when a drummer is not in the pocket because the feel is just plain wrong. No other word for it to me.

Throne - Essentially, a stool which one sits upon to play the drums. Symbolic of the drummer's pivotal importance in any music ensemble.

Up-tom - Also referred to as "mounted tom" among other names. Refers to the toms mounted to either a bass drum mounting system or toms holders located above the bass drum. These would be opposite the floor toms.

Vibraslap- consisting of a piece of stiff wire (bent in a U shape) connecting a wood ball to a hollow box of wood with metal “teeth” inside. The percussionist holds the metal wire in one hand and strikes the ball (usually against the palm of their other hand). The box acts as a resonating body for a metal mechanism placed inside with a number of loosely fastened pins or rivets that vibrate and rattle against the box.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Bassist. A frustrated guitar play who couldnt handle six strings so he dropped to four.

User Info Menu

Clutch - The assembely on the top a hi hat stand rod that holds, and suspends the top hi hat.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Rimshot

The sound produced by hitting the rim and the head of a drum simultaneously, with a drum stick. Rimshots are usually played to produce a more accented note, and are typically played loudly.

"Man, those rimshots you were playing were so loud that they made my ears ring for hours!"

User Info Menu

Rudiments

Similar to eating sprouts: No-one likes to do it, no-one wants to do it, but if you want to get better, you're gonna bloody well have too.
    A scouse drummer who isn't Ringo.

User Info Menu

Cross-Stick

The technique, in which the tip of a drumstick is placed on the head near one of the bearing edges and the shaft of the stick is struck against the rim opposite the tip, creating a dry, high pitched "click" similar to a set of claves.

"Hey Mon, those upbeat cross sticks during that verse was sweet .... it gave it that Reggae feel!"

User Info Menu

Throne

Essentially, a stool which one sits upon to play the drums. Symbolic of the drummer's pivotal importance in any music ensemble.
    A scouse drummer who isn't Ringo.

User Info Menu

China cymbal-an effects cymbal typically used to produce a trashy effect. Common in metal music. Typically played inverted to avoid chewing up drumsticks.
    Last edited by tah821; 02-21-2011 at 06:03 PM.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Moongel-arguably a drummer's most essential tool. Can be used to muffle drums, or cut a cymbal's sustain. Comes in packs of four. Looks like a little blue square.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

flam
    a rudiment in which one stick hits the head slightly before the other, creating a daDA sound.
    zebra wrapped gretsch catalina club mod:
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    20" saluda decadence ride
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash
    10" wuhan splash (modified via salt water)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post

User Info Menu

Cowboy Kick
    A person who playes the "kick" (Bass) drum so hard the "spurs" dig into the ground. in reference to how a cowboy digs in his spurs.

Also refered to as "Bronco bustin a bass drum"
    Last edited by stuperprohero; 02-21-2011 at 09:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Rim Click- When you place the stick across then snare with either the bead or the butt in the center, and pivot from the center of the drum. Synonyms-Side stick, Cross Stick, snare click.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

ThePloughman Guest

Stool......... What guitarists sit upon.

User Info Menu

The Pocket

That feel when a groove is just right. You know it when you hear it because you feel it at least as much. Conversely, you know when a drummer is not in the pocket because the feel is just plain wrong. No other word for it to me.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Drumsticks - Sticks typically held in the hands in a variety of ways, used to hit the different drums, cymbals and percussive instruments on the kit to make noise.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Ride cymbal - Usually larger diameter cymbals, Usually between 19 and 24 inches. This cymbal is mostly used for tapping on, though can be 'crashed'.
    Most rides have a large bell, which can also be used to create a much different sound that tapping against the body of the ride.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Concert/Resoless toms/bass drums- Toms or bass drums without bottom heads. Some of the more professional looking Concert toms have the exposed lugholes covered by a wrap, or not drilled for bottom lugs completely. They gained pop-culture fame for being the signature aesthetic trend of 60's and 70's drum sounds used by bands such as Alice Cooper or The Doors. Reasons of origin are unknown, quite possibly it was an idea pushed by studio engineers and drumtechs who worked with the bands' drummers on various projects and tours. However, the term "concert" does not always apply in the case of bass drums- where sometimes they are just a much larger diameter shell, but double-headed in the fashion of most standard bass drums.
    Last edited by Russ; 02-22-2011 at 12:34 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Concert/Resoless toms/bass drums- Toms or bass drums without bottom heads. Some of the more professional looking Concert toms have the exposed lugholes covered by a wrap, or not drilled for bottom lugs completely. They gained pop-culture fame for being the signature aesthetic trend of 60's and 70's drum sounds used by bands such as Alice Cooper or The Doors. Reasons of origin are unknown, quite possibly it was an idea pushed by studio engineers and drumtechs who worked with the bands' drummers on various projects and tours. However, the term "concert" does not always apply in the case of bass drums- where sometimes they are just a much larger diameter shell, but double-headed in the fashion of most standard bass drums.
    If I remember from reading Modern Drummer, one of the first guys to popularise concert toms was the studio drummer, Hal Blaine. He had an Octaplus eight concert tom set (including the floor toms I'm sure) that was built for him by Ludwig which he used for a while with studio recordings. I'll have to dig out the article some time to double-check that, but I'm more than sure that was the case. Might have been in the late 60's/early 70's.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I updated the list (first post). This is fun, let's keep it going. I'm leaving in the fun stuff (ex: girlfriend)

Percussion - often used as the umbrella term for drumming in general but it most often refers to either world percussion instruments (like conga, djembe, doumbek, bongos) or marching/symphony percussion (kettle drums, quads, etc.).

User Info Menu

Hoop Rash: the scuffing of the bass drum hoop made by the jaws of the bass drum pedal. Various methods can be used to try and avoid "hoop rash."
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Drummer: One who hangs out with musicians (LOL JK)

Pies: Commonly used word to refer to cymbals
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Up-tom. Or mounted tom among other names. Refers to the toms mounted to either a bass drum mounting system or toms holders located above the bass drum. These would be opposite the floor toms.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride