Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repairing Zildjians

User Info Menu

Default Repairing Zildjians

Hi guys, tonight i was at a gig and bought a cracked 19" k custom dark china and a cracked 20" a custom projection crash, both at £25 each.

On the china, there's around 6" crack round the inside circumference(if you know what i mean) and on the crash there are two 1" cracks coming toward the centre, around 3" away from each other.

I was wondering if there are any viable ways to fix these cymbals, either cutting the crash down to a 19" or an 18" or finding some way of melting or gluing the china back together.

Thanks guys.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Repairing Zildjians

This is why I always get the warranty. You could cut them down, but it sounds like you're in a bit of trouble with the china. I know how you feel, I've been through it. But those are some nice cymbals. Gotta feel like crap. Sorry man.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Even if I can't get them fixed, I still have two cymbals signed by an awesome band that I'm pretty into.

Is there any type of glue or adhesive I (or someone) could insert into the china crack to repair it?

User Info Menu

There's always using the option of making a stack out of them. Stacks can be fun to play around with, especially depending on the genre you play.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

I'm quite keen on getting the crash cut down, I'd imagine it'd still sound good. Not too sure on the china though.

User Info Menu

I'd say cut the crash down to an 18" and stack it on the china. Something like this:

Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China

Click here!

User Info Menu

The thing is I currently don't have any other cymbals, these are my first, so I'm really looking for a decent crash at least out of these.

User Info Menu

Oh man. You could cut down the crash if you don't mind an out of place logo. As for crack fillings, glues and adhesives won't work. The vibrations from the cymbal will kill the bond. I have never thought about melting some B20 grade metals into the crack and then grinding it down until now. I wonder if that is possible...
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

There is no way to "repair" a crack. You can cut/drill them away, but problems could still be present if you don't remove all of the crack. Usually 1\3 of the crack is visible, but it varies. I'd never pay much for cracked cymbals at all unless I was making a stack.

As for cutting down the crash, it won't work that well. If you take 2 inches off of the diameter, the edge thickness will be much greater now, which would then need to be filed down, along with the rest of the cymbal. The edge would still be more prone to cracking, and it probably would not open up well. Don't want to be a downer here, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Getting a "decent" crash out of these will be tough. They would work much better as a stack.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Yea, you really can't make them work like regular cymbals. They definitely sound like they're past the point of no return. But I really wouldn't worry about it too much. You really got some good cymbals there, especially at that price. Regardless of the condition of the cymbals, they can still be used.
    Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

jaaamesy, cutting down your crash is probably the best..but..and there is always a but...its not a easy thing to do..it really needs to be machined down to keep the harmonic charateristics, just cutting with a torch or snips will have poor results..do you know any machinists? at a real shop? as far as china..well to answer your other question there is NO adhesive or " glue " that will work..so use suggestions from Noise
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

IMO you wasted your money. They may have been great cymbals when they were new but now they are just scrap metal.

User Info Menu

Think there is still value:

--As memory of the band (you indicated they are signed and really like the band).

--Possibly as stacked.

--Possibly can re-work crash if have good machinist access (though wonder if this would affect the signature).
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

the crash is definitely a lot more repairable than the china. if you were to cut down the china at all, you would change the sound a lot more drastically than that of the crash because you would lose the bent bow of the cymbal. you might be able to salvage the crash, but i'd say the china is pretty much hopeless. still a cool souvenir though!
    Pearl Export with Remo's and Evans
    Sabian AAX-plosion 16" Crash
    Sabian AAX 16" Stage Crash
    Meinl Classics 10" splash
    Sabian AA Fusion 13" hi hats
    Sabian 21" AA Dry Ride with rivets
    Some weird little cymbal that I drilled holes in.

User Info Menu

These are both large cracks and difficult repairs. Drilling a hole to stop propagation of the 1 inch cracks in the crash will only last awhile. Could play them as is, (no doubt some unique sounds) until they're toast, then mount on a wall as mementos...or abstract art...

User Info Menu

Or if you don't want to cut them down, you can always do something like this...

http://store.drumbum.com/skuC-10.html

Cymbals

Click here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post

that's an awesome idea. if you had other cymbals i would suggest stacking them but since you don't, effect cymbals or art seem to be the only options. actually i've seen a few people around here drill a ton of holes in old cymbals and make o-zones out of them, just an idea.
    Pearl Export with Remo's and Evans
    Sabian AAX-plosion 16" Crash
    Sabian AAX 16" Stage Crash
    Meinl Classics 10" splash
    Sabian AA Fusion 13" hi hats
    Sabian 21" AA Dry Ride with rivets
    Some weird little cymbal that I drilled holes in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseInMotion View Post

I love it!

Would it be possible to post pics up, please?
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKMGAfWBGMM"]YouTube - Cracked Cymbal Repair.wmv[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kCHQ6AvBPE&feature=related"]YouTube - Cymbal Repair[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz9c33_y06s"]YouTube - PaisteAfterGrind.wmv[/ame]

I've rounded out the inside edges of the cut more than whats seen in last the vid (Paiste2002 black label) so it's less capable of cracking further. The 2nd cymbal repair vid shows a great cut (Paiste505) that's nicely rounded.

It is not possible to fix a Zildjian cymbal by welding even if it was with a piece of the same cymbal. It will just keep popping and never melt together .There is a family secret ingredient that Zildjian uses in the process of casting cymbals. If you were to mix the alloys in a casting furnace without this secret ingredient they'd explode/jump back out of the furnace in the foundry setting.

I have tried repairing one with solder and it holds awhile , looks like poop but didn't last.

Cutting down a cymbal makes them sound gongy.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 02-25-2011 at 07:53 AM.

User Info Menu

There is a guy that repairs cymbals on E-Bay that looks like he does good work. And I think someone on this forum stated that they repair cymbals as well. As far as the china goes. Either cut some holes in it, especially where the damage is, and make an Ozone out of it like what was mentioned. Or repair it by cutting out the damaged area with a dremel tool, then smoothing the edges. Then drill holes evenly spaced around the cymbal and install some sizzle rivets for a cool effects china.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

The guy on eBay I believe is in Joliet, Il. who looks like he has a water jet to make the flawless cuts.

User Info Menu

Here's a vid of a Waterjet cutting down a cymbal.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1iScUcbFds"]YouTube - Cymbal Repair using a Waterjet Machine[/ame]

User Info Menu

wanted to add this crude drawing ,...if you do not round the inside edges well it will and may continue to crack at the sharp edges. The outside edges should be rounded more too which are not in this pic..

User Info Menu

If I'm not mistaken, Saluda will take a cracked cymbal as a trade in. Might not be a total lose if ya can get something for em. And what I've heard of them, Saluda's arn't bad at all.

User Info Menu

Now thats what I'm talking about!! good machinist can do it right!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride