Thread: What A Small World It Is In The Australian Drum Scene.

User Info Menu

Default What A Small World It Is In The Australian Drum Scene.

A few more co-incidences as I hang in the "scene".

Coincidence #1: Last night, at this 50th birthday I went to, was talking to one of the Croatians that were there, struck up a conversation as my student's dad, Dejan (Dan) told this guy Shule that I was his daughter's drum teacher. Through his heavy accented English, I found out Shule recently did a tiling job in Baulkham Hills, a suburb 10 mins drive from me, and I know a number of drummers in that area. However, Shule was describing his client, what he looked like, and that the guy had drums everywhere in the house. So I asked, can you remember his name? First name?

"Gordon" said Shule.

I thought for a moment. Gordon? Shule then told me Gordon had three sons, and then mentioned he kept seeing the name Yamaha around the place. Described Gordon as being a big build, saw an earlier photo of him in the house with more curlier hair.....then the penny dropped! Shule recently did the tiling for none other than Gordon Rytmeister, THE guy who has played for Australian Idol a few seasons back, THE head teacher of jazz drums at The Sydney Conservatorium from a lil while back, and possibly the most busiest all-around session drummer in Australia! And a heckuva nice guy to boot, because I can remember seeing Gordon playing a number of nice, Sunday arvo gigs at the Orient Hotel at The Rocks in Sydney, he'd sit with a practice pad and a glass of beer, no ego, and showed me stroke exercises because I picked his brain.

Coincidence #2 recently did some updates of friends on Facebook, a friend of mine is Simone White, who I got introduced through a bassist friend of mine. Simone in the past had worked with Michael Franti in both Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy ("Television: The Drug Of The Nation) as well as with Michael Franti in Spearhead. Which is how Simone got to see and then settle in Sydney. Well, and now this is getting scaringly co-incidental, you wouldn't believe who chats regularly to Sim?

Raanen Bozzio.

That's right, Terry's son. While it's gonna be unlikely that Terry would want to add yours truly as a Facebook friend, I think Simone's gonna somehow introduce me to Raanen via FB. Jeez. Hoping to God I don't suffer foot-in-mouth disease online with Terry's son. My brain's at the moment screaming I'MNOTWORTHYI'MNOTWORTHYI'MNOTWORTHYI'MNOTWORTHY!! !!!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: What A Small World It Is In The Australian Drum Scene.

Cool! I'm always amazed at just how small it is. Hard to understand that phrase until you experience things like that.

User Info Menu

I think your coinicidences have only made you that much more worthy! That's great news ,..all the best!

User Info Menu

Maybe the worlds drum scene is a small world. A friend and classmate of mine is close friends with Mike Terrana (Rage, Masterplan, Axel Rudi Pell, Tarja Turunen, among others), who happens to be one of my favourite drummers. That came as a shock to me haha
    - Zack

User Info Menu

That's so cool Drumbledore!!!

I find with FB we're all connected in some way. Some of my friends know my other friends and some even know family. Small world!

Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LL70 View Post
    I find with FB we're all connected in some way. Some of my friends know my other friends and some even know family. Small world!
    Haha, I found out via FB that one of my classmates happens to be a cousin of some of my early childhood friends!
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Maybe the worlds drum scene is a small world. A friend and classmate of mine is close friends with Mike Terrana (Rage, Masterplan, Axel Rudi Pell, Tarja Turunen, among others), who happens to be one of my favourite drummers. That came as a shock to me haha

Far out man! How did that come about?

User Info Menu

Isn't there such a thing as six degrees of seperation Drumble?
    I wonder if that comes into play here....or is Planet Oz as small as we once thought? Either way, it would be very interesting to try and find out.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spesman View Post
    Isn't there such a thing as six degrees of seperation Drumble?
    I wonder if that comes into play here....or is Planet Oz as small as we once thought? Either way, it would be very interesting to try and find out.
    You could be right there, Spes, could be.

Coincidence #3: A few years back when I was playing in a band called Rivers and Roads, Angie, our singer, introduced me to.....no kidding.....Kate Ceberano....Kate is an absolutely awesome chicka to talk to, would ya believe we chatted well over an hour over such things as Latin music, Italian cuisine (well, we were in Leichhardt in Sydney at that time...that's like Little Italy)...and get this....

Kate Ceberano also plays drums! Pretty damn well too, seeing that she's surrounded by such great players. Actually, her dad, Tino Ceberano, a Filipino who was in the U.S. Marine Corps, was the one who introduced her to the snare drum.

Angie Paice, singer for Rivers And Roads, Kate Ceberano and myself.

Last edited by Drumbledore; 03-15-2011 at 01:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Sounds like you are just so open to getting to know other people that good relationships just naturally happen Drumbledore. That's why we enjoy having you here!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Sounds like you are just so open to getting to know other people that good relationships just naturally happen Drumbledore. That's why we enjoy having you here!
    Thank you kindly stranger!

User Info Menu

Haha man, I just got on facebook and requested Raanen, had like a 10 minute convo with him on chat about his new project "Mize A'Mort" FREAKING AWESOME
    Very cool guy and calm talker without alot of ego, now I am really super glad I checked this thread out lol
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Coincidence#4: Right...now this is getting too freaky. Just wished happy birthday to a drummer friend of mine, Steve, on Facebook just a few minutes ago. As I chatted with him online, his friends list popped up. I kid you not, who has he now made friends with?