Thread: Snare drum tuning?

User Info Menu

Default Snare drum tuning?

Some questions on snare tuning, how tight and how do you tune your reso and your batter head? I like a high pitch snare sound,: how can I achieve with good results? And one more thing, you cant eliminate it but, how do I reduce snare buzz when i hit my toms and bass drum? Help would be appreciated

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare drum tuning?

Man this is realy isn't that easy to answer. Because everyone tunes differently. The snare drum heads are always much more tighter than the tom. Most toms are tuned to just above the lowest pitch which is usually 1/2 turn from finger tight and the reso 1/4 turn more. The snare could go from 2-3 turns of the key on the batter and maybe 1/2 more on the reso. Snare buzz is ususaly from the H tom pitch to high lower it down in 1/8 increments till the buzz stops. You just have to experiment with it. Hope this helps you.

User Info Menu

Finger tighten the top. Finger tighten the bottom. 2 full turns on top. 2.5 turns on the bottom. The "dynasonic" tension. Gives a nice pop. And when you get the head in tune, not as much ring as you would expect.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I usually tune my reso all the way up. It gives it the crack that I like in a snare. I also tune my batter, i would say, medium to medium high. I like it that way so it's not overly poppy and it sounds like it's got a little more depth than it really does. I also have my snare wires cranked all the way up, for more crack. I guess I really like crack
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

if your snare is tuned at the same pitch as the toms it will cause that issue of vibrating snare wires

experiment!

User Info Menu

I tune my snare batter much higher than my reso.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDrummer View Post
    Some questions on snare tuning, how tight and how do you tune your reso and your batter head? I like a high pitch snare sound,: how can I achieve with good results? And one more thing, you cant eliminate it but, how do I reduce snare buzz when i hit my toms and bass drum? Help would be appreciated

You didn't say what your snare drum dimensions were (or what type). But try this if you can...works great for me on my maple 5 1/2" x 14" snare:

Using our home piano (you can use whatever source you want), I tune my reso head to "G" and my batter to "B". Of course, you'll never get the heads exactly to those notes because of some overtones, etc., but check it out! I think you'll be very pleased with the result.

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in name only View Post
    try this if you can...works great for me on my maple 5 1/2" x 14" snare:

Using our home piano (you can use whatever source you want), I tune my reso head to "G" and my batter to "B". Of course, you'll never get the heads exactly to those notes because of some overtones, etc.
    Oooooh, me likey that Idea! Thanx!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....