Thread: Help please.

User Info Menu

Default Help please.

How can I fix my timing while im playing? and How can i make both hands equal and not just the right hand to be dominant, how can it be like both right and left hands can play the same way? Sorry for all the questions!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help please.

Rainard, if you don't have a metronome, you need to get one. If you have one, then you need to slow down unitl you can stay in perfect rhythm with the metronome. Once you are there, you can slowly increase the tempo, but don't push it past being able to stay in rhythm with the metronome. Gradually, you will find your timing improving, as you internalize the beat.

Hope that helps.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 for the metronome to improve your timing.

As for making your left hand stronger, practice patterns leading with your left hand (along to a metronome )
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Also never ever underestimate rudiments.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

failing a metronome (and also cheaper) play along with some simple studio recordings by bands that you like. the way music is manufactured these days, and i do not use that term lightly, the drums and percussion are almost always fit to a time perfect grid. so you still get the metronome effect, but you're listening to something pleasing to your ear. if anyone would like to prove me wrong, i invite the challenge.

- Mike

User Info Menu

The breathing is very important. Louis Bellson

From many years ago.

Ultimately practicing to a metronome is about learning how to breath in time. Back in the day when learning piano was also part of learning percussion, this and correct posture was hammered into the student more then the actual piano playing. Do an internet search for correct posture, breathing and playing to a metronome for piano playing and there's oodles of information, but it's not there for percussion much. I've always wondered why since it is so basic and time proven?

Now that I that I think of this, the other discussion on playing rolls may have to do with this also. Many beginning drummers spend a lot of time holding their breath which is a major no no to playing fluidly. Drumbledore being a teacher may be able to offer more on this?
    Last edited by Riverr1; 03-05-2011 at 06:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asmorbidus View Post
    failing a metronome (and also cheaper) play along with some simple studio recordings by bands that you like. the way music is manufactured these days, and i do not use that term lightly, the drums and percussion are almost always fit to a time perfect grid. so you still get the metronome effect, but you're listening to something pleasing to your ear. if anyone would like to prove me wrong, i invite the challenge.

- Mike
    No, you're perfectly right there. The worse thing in the world is for inexperienced drummers who may never have been forewarned about practicing regularly with a metronome or click track, to all of a sudden be thrown into a studio recording situation where they get frustrated over and over again playing with a click. It must be introduced early enough in drum lessons, especially for people who want to call themselves serious students of drumming later down the track. Gets even more frustrating when you get students so insistent on learning more double bass, but they haven't mastered (or worse still, ignore) the practice of solid double kick stroke exercises with simple hand patterns with a click, in time and not rushing or dragging. That is an art unto itself.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riverr1 View Post
    The breathing is very important. Louis Bellson

From many years ago.

Now that I that I think of this, the other discussion on playing rolls may have to do with this also. Many beginning drummers spend a lot of time holding their breath which is a major no no to playing fluidly. Drumbledore being a teacher may be able to offer more on this?
    Oh yeah, definitely! There is an amazing Australian jazz drummer called David Jones whom I was lucky enough to watch and then join in a workshop he did years back at an event called "The Billy Hydes Summer Sessions", where he talked about this simple fact. He got me on the kit, did a few gentle and simple manipulations of my back, neck and shoulder positions and thn said I should breathe enough in to fill the lungs, pushing the diaphragm so that my spine will then sit correctly in a natural and slight "s" shape when you look it side-on in a full length mirror. More importantly, was to maintain a slow, gentle but regular breathing cycle. Now, some students scratch their heads and think I'm nuts, but I do exactly this same thing that was shown to me 20 years ago...when you do a drum roll, asides from not putting any unnecessary tension in your fingers and wrists, you should also keep your breathing going, so what then comes out is a nice even roll that sounds as natural as water flowing. Even when playing a bit more loud, if you think too aggressively, the time of that flow will just get too choppy. Get as even a height of both sticks that you can (practicing in front of a mirror helps), zen out, breathe and relax. I know to some people that sounds way too "New-Agey", but it's something to always work on...relaxing yet remaining alert at what you got to do, and "centering" yourself. When you play do not focus on what's happened to you outside of music, what's for dinner and other matters, you focus on the here and now and more importantly on how you play you. Not for that drummer that you want to impress, even if he's locked his focus on you (hey, we're all guilty of that before). As you breathe regularly, block out any negative feelings and thoughts (hard to do, yes I even know that!) lock in on the 1/4 note or 1/8 note counts, whether it is you counting them or you're feeling that count as you respond to the music. And count, whether you're doing that tricky fill, that steady crescendo roll, or keeping a solid beat....whether aloud, saying it in your head, mouthing it silently to others as you play a gig or record and you're maintaining eye-contact with the guys, never let that solid counting and that solid feel go!

Otherwise, what are you doing? A drummer who shows off with mediocre time-keeping and other skills is not hired and not recommended. I may not be the flashiest drummer around, but I'm pretty solid, so people who play with me will remark. Mind you, I've worked damn hard on it. I teach all 40rudiments (if the student is curious, that is) but I give out a worksheet of seven: singles, doubles, triplets, paradiddles (in that order), five-stroke rolls, flams and drags over 1/4 note kick patterns and with the hi-hat foot on 2&4 as well as the offbeat (+'s). All to be done with right hand lead, then left hand lead. Singles, doubles and paradiddles to be done both in 8th note and 16th note versions (1&2& as well as 1e&a,2e&a). Do these with proper posture and breathing, and you'll be surprised how much you can get out of this, as you start to move them around the set. But until the left hand versions are just as solid with the right hand versions, you won't get the full benefit of those exercises. Mind you,we're talking about people who have come up to me and ask how is it that I keep my ambidexterity going. I often say that I'm still working on it and one day it will get there. Just a case of putting time in. But it's once I learned to completely relax, zen out, breathe and not worry about impressing anyone but myself, that's when it really got together...slowly, basically at first, then adding bit by bit. And of course watching drummers who are ambidexterous who also groove. Left hand lead on the hi-hat or by placing a ride to your left (for us righties) has been a contributing factor to the overall improvement of my weaker left hand. Also, doing everyday things such as turning the key in a lock, brushing teeth, stirring coffee, mouse on the left of a keyboard, etc (if you pardon the pun) has had a hand in it.

User Info Menu

Oh, and another thing? This is always with easy reach. Old as the hills, but it's easy to MIDI up, or get someone to push the putton for you as you record. It's never let me down.

Roland R-70 drum machine.

User Info Menu

Drumbledore, once again a great response. I have a feeling you're a great teacher. I don't think any of this is "New Age". I got it from my teacher in the 60's who got it from his teacher in the 20's. I don't think anyone can equate the flapper era with new age.

Right on about the drum machine and they can be had used for the price of a good metronome yet do soooo much more. I've been working with a young neighbor with metric modulation and I don't think I could do it without the machine. And again, this is all about breathing. Set the machine at a steady quater note pulse at 120 bpm. Put 3 and 5, or 3 and 7 or whatever up against the quater note pulse, then pull the quarter note pulse out, then find the pulse and play to it. Maintaining the underlying quater note pulse is all about breathing it. That's where it's maintained. I just went over this with someone here who was under the impression that a particular song was in some odd time signatures when it is nothing more then metric modulation in 4.

Yup, a drum machine makes the best metronome.

User Info Menu

Adding to what's been said.

There's no short cuts. You have to invest time and patience and work it until you are past being sick of it. Then work it some more. It'll all come with time, patience and persistence.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

There's no short cuts. You have to invest time and patience and work it until you are past being sick of it. Then work it some more. It'll all come with time, patience and persistence.
    This never ends. It's almost masochistic at times.

User Info Menu

Rainard, of course you have seen all the info on timing..very good...now to address your left hand right hand issue..try practicing with one stick..left if thats your weakest..or right..not really to a song..just bounce it around ALL of your drums and see how it feels!!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    Also never ever underestimate rudiments.
    for sure..

User Info Menu

Sorry to go against the grain here but I never worked with a metronome and my timing is perfect. I also don't practice rudiments. I'm too good for that.

Ha-Ha! You don't really believe that do you?

User Info Menu

in response to Drummer's attempt at humor, i have truthfully never PRACTICED with a click. i have recorded with one. and ive also never LEARNED rudiments. thats not to say i dont know what a paradiddle is or how to play it, iv just never learned theory. and i know im blowing my own horn here, i apologise, but ive played with some awesome musicians who have been in the game longer than iv been alive (im 20 right now) and they all tell me the same thing, ie. great sense of time and rhythm. im not telling you to not practice, thatd be the worst advice ever. what i am saying, is if you dont practice with some sort of structure, start now. learn rudiments, get a click or my suggestion a couple of posts back, start slow, be persistent, and if you cant do something now, try it again in 5 minutes. /rant

- Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

What he said........

You need to learn how to crawl before you can walk. Practice, and a lot of it will help with not only your timing but your left and right hands and feet.

Welcome to the board and keep asking questions......this will also help out.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Rainard, of course you have seen all the info on timing..very good...now to address your left hand right hand issue..try practicing with one stick..left if thats your weakest..or right..not really to a song..just bounce it around ALL of your drums and see how it feels!!
    Lots of great advice here. some I've never heard before.

I'm with Marty on the lefty thing. I'd start as he said, practicing left hand only. Try to keep a simple 4/4 beat going with the hats and snare and bass. Then start trying to create and add some simple fills, but you have to keep them in time with the beat and that means you'll have to keep count. Just do this as part of your practice everyday.

Move your ride to your left side and force yourself to use your left hand. Switch off between the ride, the hi-hats or a crash.

Then once your left starts feeling comfortable and you can play pretty much mistake free left hand only 4/4 beat, branch out. Trying switching on the hats between your left and right hand while playing anything.

Don't give up, I still switch off during songs, it gives your right arm a break from rattling the hi-hats all the time. This also has other benefits. It gets your mind off what other things are doing, like your feet and opposite arm. Things just start flowing, not really having to think about exactly what your four appendiges are doing and more on the song and timing. Just let'm go, you may supprise yourself. I do all the time. It's like Drumbeldore said, your have to get mentaly ready to play. Breathing, posture the whole thing.

It takes time. I had a crazy time maintaining I think it's 1/8th notes on say a ride or crash while playing a regular 4/4 beat. Drove me nuts until one night practicing, it just came. Go figure. I still have it, mainly because I practice on it on a regular basis. If I don't, I'll loose it some where.....

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride