• Clean Cymbals Sometimes

27 47.37%
  • Never Clean Cymbals

17 29.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Clean or Don't Clean

User Info Menu

Default POLL: Clean or Don't Clean

OK, I see a lot of posts dealing with how to clean cymbals. I also see some who prefer not to clean their cymbals. So, let's see how many prefer to clean versus not to clean.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Default Re: POLL: Clean or Don't Clean

never cleaned em in my life, and i don't intend to! all my cymbals are traditional though so they don't get grimy the same way that brilliants do.
    Pearl Export with Remo's and Evans
    Sabian AAX-plosion 16" Crash
    Sabian AAX 16" Stage Crash
    Meinl Classics 10" splash
    Sabian AA Fusion 13" hi hats
    Sabian 21" AA Dry Ride with rivets
    Some weird little cymbal that I drilled holes in.

User Info Menu

I'm a cleaner, but I don't obsess so I clean when I feel like it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have never cleaned my cymbals but I've kinda been wanting to clean them lately...we'll see if I actually end up doing it or not.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I like shiny cymbals but I cannot be bothered cleaning 'em.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Do the daily grind as a gigging musician and drum teacher and see what little time and energy you have left for cleaning. I probably get it done once in a blue moon, unlike in my student days when I obsessed with getting them clean.

Now I do get the time to clean my car.....never been one to leave junk, wrappers etc in it, but sometimes it needs a good vacuuming and polishing. So how can you tell how busy a muso is? Simple. Look at the state of their car. If it's way too schmick and shiny and they've had it for years, yet it still looks like as though it's rolled out a showroom.....either that muso's getting up really early in morning and has exceptional time management skills that they can waste an hour or so cleaning the damn vehicle......or they've never been in a band, let alone a rehearsal or gig in their life! **

** Hey I'm making a general assumption here, you can be exceptionally organised, just observing from real life experience, LOL!!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

You can't beat the look of those babies shining when you have a great looking kit underneath them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    i'm a cleaner, but i don't obsess so i clean when i feel like it.
    +1

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    i'm a cleaner, but i don't obsess so i clean when i feel like it.
    +1
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I like my cymbals to look clean, so I try to avoid buying brilliant finishes. Traditional finishes look just as great under the lights and don't get marked up.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

I am a cleaner, but only when stick marks and dust get a bit too intense for my preference.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

never cleaned them i prefer the sound they have now either that or ive just gotton used to the sound they have always had
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

I too love the look of shiny cymbals, but if you like the sound of your cymbals, don't clean them. I will give mine a light wipe with a damp cloth once in a while, but putting pressure into the rag and really polish type cleaning will alter the sound. Maybe not that noticeable if you keep them clean, but repeated cleanings, you can't help but get a little brass residue on the rag or buff cloth. Brilliant finish cymbals may be a bit different because I think they are power buffed at the factory and they may put a sealer on them, but I dont own any and am not sure on this, someone else pipe in an correct me.
    Last edited by signia fan; 03-05-2011 at 09:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    i like shiny cymbals but i cannot be bothered cleaning 'em.
    +1
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

I try to care.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

I only clean them once a year if I am lucky. I use only a little water/vinegar on them just to get the stick marks and build up of dust. My cymbals are vintage so they do not have a bright finish but shine in their own way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I only clean them once a year if I am lucky. I use only a little water/vinegar on them just to get the stick marks and build up of dust. My cymbals are vintage so they do not have a bright finish but shine in their own way.
    does water and vinegar remove the logos? i've been looking for an alternative to harsh cymbal cleaner and if this really works then i'll give it a shot.
    Pearl Export with Remo's and Evans
    Sabian AAX-plosion 16" Crash
    Sabian AAX 16" Stage Crash
    Meinl Classics 10" splash
    Sabian AA Fusion 13" hi hats
    Sabian 21" AA Dry Ride with rivets
    Some weird little cymbal that I drilled holes in.

User Info Menu

I have 2002's, and they show way more stick marks than do my brilliant cymbals, all one of them. Stick marks scare me, it's evidence of missed strikes, wrong strikes and just plain makes the cymbal look bad. When it's been cinsidefrable time between cleaning and the outer edges are just covered in stick marks, it's time to do alittle cleaning.

I have two different cleaning regimes. One is when it's been along time between cleanings and stick marks are hard to get off, I crack out the Paiste cleaner. It wears at the logos, but it cleans the best.

When I want to get rid of light stick marks and general dust, I get the Sabian sqyirt on cleaner. It's a great low impact cleaner. Doesn't do the best for heavy stick marks but it does improve the looks without worrying about the logos.

I've yet to buy into the cleaning cymbal changes the sound theory. I mean, I would think time and playing the cymbal over time would have more effect on the sound than cleaning, but hey, maybe there is something to it. Enough pro's on here have mentioned it before and they would have a trained ear to hear it, but I've yet to hear it myself.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

I like em' dirty (no pun intended), but if I have shiny ones I will keep them shiny, I don't want to wait a couple decades for the sound to change slightly lol :P
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

I would if it began to bother me enough. I have enough to do without worrying about it. One day though, one day.
    Current set-up:
    Cheapo Roger's:
    14" snare
    13" tom
    16" floor tom
    20" bass
    20" Meinl Ride HCS
    18" Meinl Crash HCS
    14" Meinl Hi-hat HCS
    Rhythm Tech Moon Block and Tamborine.

User Info Menu

Dirty FTW!!!!
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Never cleaned them even though I would like to just to see how they come out. My problem is I don't want to ruin the logo's or do anything stupid without knowing it and as I've heard some bad things about cymbal cleaners and logo's I've just stayed away for now....

User Info Menu

I have older 70's vintage 2002's and a few newer ones. I prefer the old ones, never have to clean them, never have cleaned them, they still look nice, no stick marks. I like used items, and I like all aspects of a kit to look used, and with a history.

dave0549jv Guest

the only time ive cleaned or polished any cymbals was when i was selling them. i figure a shiny one will nab a few more bucks on the 'bay than a grimy, fingerprinty one.

User Info Menu

only when im gonna clean the rest of the kit, so like twice a month
    'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out in your drumming'

MAPEX: Meridian Maple >YAMAHA: rock tour >Pearl Chad smith signature snare >Sabian-Zildjian-Paiste