Thread: Good bass drum head

User Info Menu

Question Good bass drum head

hi, im getting a new bdrum head. im planning on a powerstroke 3 or 4. more like the 3. i like a good punchy sound, not too open, but not overmuffled. any suggestions? what heads do you use? btw, clear vs coated bass drum heads? i prefer clear that way i can see in case my pillow was to fall over and just being able to see in my bdrum but whats the difference in the clear and coating

Cool Drummer T-shirts and Accessories!

Advertisement

User Info Menu

Default Re: Good bass drum head

As with any headthe coating adds warmth to the sound of the drum. If you like punchy bass drums then clear is for you and my vote is for the PS3.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Larrysperf Guest

Emad 1 or 2 great all round heads

User Info Menu

Or a Gmad, I'v got a Gmad Right now and i love it.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Ehh, for a beginner I wouldn't recommend an Emad (sorry Larry!), a drum set at my church (Pearl Export) has an powerstroke 3 on it, and once I heard that I was like- I'm getting this one when I can afford it!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    or a gmad, i'v got a gmad right now and i love it.
    +1

PS3's are a good head as well.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

Larrysperf Guest

Ive played them all and the Emad for me is the best

User Info Menu

If your gonna put a pillow inside the kick, any head will do. They will all thump with a big ole pillow in the drum.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    Ehh, for a beginner I wouldn't recommend an Emad (sorry Larry!), a drum set at my church (Pearl Export) has an powerstroke 3 on it, and once I heard that I was like- I'm getting this one when I can afford it!
    Why would you not recommend an EMAD for beginners? I'm curious!

User Info Menu

I vote for Aquarian SuperKick II. Best bass drum head ever, and you don't even need to put a pillow inside, it's got a perfect sound already!
    Matt

User Info Menu

Gmad batter with emad reso combo = cannon
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I vote for Aquarian SuperKick II. Best bass drum head ever, and you don't even need to put a pillow inside, it's got a perfect sound already!
    This is not the best statement to make they are good heads but are 1 of the best not the best by any means

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    This is not the best statement to make they are good heads but are 1 of the best not the best by any means
    My bad...I should've said the best head in my opinion. I've had a PS3, EMAD, Superkick I, and Superkick II, and the Superkick II was my favorite. Obviously other people will have different opinions, and that is mine.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Emad 1 or 2 great all round heads
    +1 I have a EMAD on my 20" kick and Love that as well. I have the G2 on my 22"
    Proud Yamaha Player

The line between the real world and the machine world is becoming more and more blurred every day.But its not that humans are turning into automations or becoming slaves to the machines.No, we're simply growing toward each other!

User Info Menu

Evans eq4

Meaty

User Info Menu

I like PS3s But i just ordered a Powerstroke pro so i'll see how that sounds.
    PDP CX.
    1979 Slingerland.

Battlefield Snare. 13 X 6
    Ludwig 1970s brass snare. 14 x 6,1/2

User Info Menu

I like generally the same sound as you, and I went with the Powerstroke 3, and love it. While I can't speak for the Evans heads (never owned an Evans besides my old Genera Dry, which I still have as a spare head) I will say that if you do get a PS3 get a Remo Falam Slam patch and use plastic beaters. Tune it nice and low until you get a nice slap, and then tune your reso to get your sound. Perfection.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    If your gonna put a pillow inside the kick, any head will do. They will all thump with a big ole pillow in the drum.
    +1

If you plan on stuffing it, get a clear single-ply head and get a falam patch.
    DONE

Less ring un-stuffed? PS3 with falam.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

clear emperor ftw
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

i use an eveans emad, but i hear an evans eq2 i really good i think its what george kollias uses