Thread: Need advice, drum noob here ...

User Info Menu

Default Need advice, drum noob here ...

hi everybody. this is my first thread here (registered many months ago, but lost interest in drums, i dont know why). well i dont know if this is the right section of the forum to ask something that has probably been talked about a lot before. I want to get my first drum set, but i know almost nothing when it comes to drums and cymbals.

The amount of money I can spend is $700 aprox. I just want the basic stuff:

a 5 piece kit,
    a hi hat,
    a ride,
    one or two crashes.
    Now I know most drum kits come with a single bass pedal, but I want a double-bass pedal (I like metal). Some guys have told me that since this is gonna be my first kit, I should just get the single bass pedal, but I usually play double bass during rehearsals (I'm a guitarist but sometimes the drummer and I switch instruments just for fun :P) and I can play some double bass passages. What do you guys think?

Do you guys recommend any particular drums/cymbals brand at this price point?? Any opinions on the things I want? I've been told the cheapest series of mapex drums are very good for the price, is this true?? Oh and by the way, I intend to play mainly metal, hard rock, prog rock and prog metal on it.

Looking forward to your answers. Greetings from Peru!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need advice, drum noob here ...

Welcome Mr. Killer. You'll get a lot of good advice on Drumchat. I have. I bought a nice set of Mapex Horizons w/cymbals & stands through MusiciansFriend.com, for about $700. 6pc. & Paiste ride, crash, & HH, throne. I'm pretty happy with it. Could check on ebay also. Good luck. { PD }

User Info Menu

i think you should go used for a drum and cymbals

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    I agree...you can get a "Killer" set for $700 !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    I agree...you can get a "Killer" set for $700 !
    Yep, given you budget, I would go used. Your money will go farther, and you will end up with a better kit. Remember that hardware and cymbals are not cheap. You'll have to be patient, but when you find the right kit, it will be worth it. In the meantime, check out as many kits as you can in music stores. That will give you some idea of the things that you like. I would also suggest that you google and read through "Prof. Sound's Drum Tuning Bible." There is a good section on buying drums, as well as helping you understand the different woods used in shells, and a decent section on heads.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

+1

Buy used

Or a intermediate kit with a cymbal pack you can upgrade in the future

And mastering the single kick first is a must
    Last edited by itchie; 03-22-2011 at 02:05 AM. Reason: I am itchie hear me roar

User Info Menu

+2, Used...Used...Used.

Some brands and models to look for in that price range used...

Mapex Meridian, Gretsch Catalina, Sonor Force 3007, PDP X7, Pearl Vision.

There are alot more of course.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board and I also say go used.

Any of the major name brand companys will be good choices, Pearl, TAMA etc.. and if you find a se5t with a double ppedal then go for it. Just because you have it doesnt mean you need to use it for everythnig.

Get yourself some lesson at least in the beginning so you dont pick up any bad habits that will hinder you later on.

Let us know what you get and pictures are always welcome around here too.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey