Thread: vintage Toledo drums?

User Info Menu

Default vintage Toledo drums?

Hunting around in the 'used universe' I came across some vintage 'Toledo' drums...1960's or 1970's.... I think made in Japan. Not a bad little kit. All thats on the badge is 'Toledo' in gold letters on a round black badge. No info I could locate on the internet, including the Vintage Drums website. Any of you folks heard of them? If so what's their history? thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: vintage Toledo drums?

Must be a off shoot of Star or something. Which eventually became Tama. So many kit's made like that years ago. Same kit's with different badges. Some were pretty good.

User Info Menu

Default Re: vintage Toledo drums?

Yup this is a stencil kit, one of a hundred different brands that popped up in Japan in the 60s/70s and were making cheap copies of the big guys like Ludwig and Slingerland. Like Vibes said, most were the same kit and branded many different ways. They are not very collectible or rare in the vintage market, but if you can pick up a set for under $200, they can make a great practice or gigging kit. Some of the finishes are super cool too! Often times they will need some work to get them sounding good. Quality control was not the best on these kits and was really hit or miss, new bearing edges can really make these kits sound good.
    *****GRETSCH****BOSPHORUS****AQUARIAN****VALJE**** *