Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many cymbals have you broken?

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: How many cymbals have you broken?

Nada, nope,never,zero,what you talkin bout Nuff Said

User Info Menu

Not myself, a friend broke my Sabian B8 16" crash...

I'm using old and broken (just a little) B20 hi hats which sound great!!!
    Tama Royalstar: 14x22" Kick, 16x16" Floor Tom, 8x12" Tom, 9x13" Tom, 5x14" Snare

Zildjian A Custom: 20" Medium Ride, 18" Medium Crash, 16" Crash and 14" Hi-hats

Sabian B8 Pro: 18" China, 12" Splash

Soultone Extreme: 14" Hi-hats

LP Cowbell

Alesis DM6 USB eDrumkit

VALTIS Rock en español

User Info Menu

Not for a long time now but I used to play Thrash.

4 A Zildjian Crashes
    4 A Zildjian Splashes
    1 New Beat HH top (bought a new top)
    A couple brass cymbals

I pretty much just threw them away. I dont think anyone was stacking back then. :/
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

brass cymbals haha
    PDP X7 Fusion Sparkling Black

Sabian:
    AA 14" Medium HiHats
    AA 16" medium Crash
    AA 18" Medium Crash
    AA 20" Medium Ride

Wuhan:
    17" china

User Info Menu

none for me in 35 year

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Over 20+ years of playing in bands since high school? Jeez, let me do a tally here....especially in the days when I used to play metal and punk and heavy styles, from memory this is the casualty list:

Four or five UFIP splashes, two or three Avedis Zildjian splashes, four Paiste Alpha splashes, at least three Paiste 2002 splashes, and a Meinl Raker splash. All varying sizes from 6" to 12". One Sabian 14" AA Thin Crash, an old Avedis Zildjian 16" Medium Crash, one Meinl Marathon 16" Crash, then the following Paiste cymbals... 16" RUDE crash/ride, 16" 602 Thin Crash, 16" 2002 Crash, 18" 2002 Crash, 16" 2002 Heavy Crash, 18" 3000 crash, 18" RUDE crash/ride, 16" 505 crash. Also, 14" Paiste 2000 Reflector China, 16" 2002 China, 20" Avedis Zildjian Pang. I think this tallies somewhat about thirty cymbals or so.

Top Row: 3.5" Finger Cymbal cut from a 2002 Splash, 5.5" UFIP Ice Bell, 5.5" & 6.5" 2002 Cup Chimes. 2nd Row: 8" 2002 Bell, 8" 3000 Bell, 7.5" "China Splash" cut from a 2000 Sound Reflector China, 3.5" Finger Bell and "Ring Crasher" (cut from an Alpha Splash). 3rd Row: 8" Dimensions Splash, Three 8" Wuhan Splashes, 8" RUDE splash (custom), 9" Zildjian Oriental Splash. 4th Row: 10" RUDE Splash, 10" Formula 602 Heavy Bell (these two sometimes make a mini hi-hat), 11" Formula 602 Heavy Bell, 12" 2002 Sound Edge Hi-hat Top, 12" 400 Splash (these two as a hi-hat). Bottom Row: 13" Sound Formula Reflector Medium Heavy Hi-Hat, 13" Signature Dark Crisp Hi-Hat.

All Paiste Top: 12" Formula 602 Thin Crash (cut from a 16") Middle: 14" 2002 Crash (cut from 16"), 3000 Thin Crash (cut from 18") 16" 2002 Crash (cut from 18"), 16" 2002 Heavy Crash (slight trim) Bottom: 14" Signature Crystal Crash, 16" Alpha Thin Crash (older model), 18" Sound Formula Thin Crash, 22" 2002 Crash (black letters).

The thing is, there could be one or two I might have missed. Now, although the majority of that lot was from the days where I had to be heard above a bunch of Marshall and Peavy amps, even though I've learned to long ago back off on the cymbals, some do just wear out from a lot of usage from rehearsals, own private practice or even teaching. The most important thing is that I always have had the larger cymbals cased and the smaller splashes and effects cymbals go in a separate bag, so there has never been and damage in transport. It's just one of those things a working drummer like myself go through.....drumheads and cymbals.

Well, at least I haven't cracked a ride....well, not yet, here's hoping that I don't!
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 03-22-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I've never broken a cymbal, but way back when a friend of mine cracked my sabian b8 17" crash. He never copped to it, but I know he did it. I gave the cracked crash to another drummer buddy of mine, and I don't talk to the dude that broke anymore for a variety of other reasons.

User Info Menu

Over the years.....as best I remember.

5 chinese cymbals. Two Ran Cans....Two Zildjians and a Sabian
    8 or 9 crashes (16 &18's) Mixture of Zildjian A'a and Sabian AA'a and an AAX
    4 different splashes......Two Avedis Zildjians, a Zildjian custom A, and a Sabian AA.

I also had an old Zilco splash....but it was old and I got it for next to nothing. It lasted a year or so.

I usually make clocks out of them.......give them away. There's a club in upstate NY somewhere that had one of mine on the wall....it was such a small crack that you could barely see it. They had all kinds of local band regalia - and asked me for something.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Paiste 3000 RUDE 18 inch C/R (There was already a crack in it and i got it for free)
    Zildjian ZBT 16 inch crash
    Zildjian ZBT 18 inch crash (These two were off my first set of cymbals, before i knew how to play with proper technique)

I plan to be one of those "Haven't broken one in 20 years" Guys
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

I haven't cracked a cymbal yet. One fell over about twenty years ago and spliced an AC extension cord in half. The arc from cutting the power cord made a small hole in my 16" Zildjian A thin crash and that eventually grew into a three inch crack but I never had a hand at actually cracking one from playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Nada, nope,never,zero,what you talkin bout Nuff Said
    +1
    Proudly playing
    TAMA Superstar Accel-Driver 5 piece
    Ddrum Dominion Maple 13x7 snare
    Remo Roto Tom's 6,8,10

Paiste 3000 14 Rude hat's
    Paiste 2000 sound reflections medium 13 hat's
    Paiste 2000 sound reflections 14 thin crash
    Paiste Alpha 16 medium crash
    Paiste Alpha 18 Medium crash
    Paiste Alpha 20 power ride
    Wuhan 12/18 china's

User Info Menu

I've never broken a cymbal in my 36 years of playing.

User Info Menu

By playing, one.
    18" Wuhan china

By it just being cracked when I got it,
    14" Paiste Alpha hi hats
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    By it just being cracked when I got it,
    14" Paiste Alpha hi hats
    Ouch.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Ive been playing for over 30 years and have never broken a cymbal.

A couple reasons why, just my thoughts here............

1.) I have all good quality cymbals to start. Zilldjian, A and A Custom and vintage, no ZXT or ZBT entry level.

2.) I spend a lot of money on my gear and dont beat the snot of it, I get sound from the cymbals with out having the need to wail on them.

3.) Technique.........I dont use the but end of the stick to crash on my gear or use the tip to strike the cymbals, always a glance.

Not that Im anything special or some great pro drummer, just a regular Joe that takes care of his stuff......its what works for me. I cant afford to be buying cymbals a second time.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

ive broken a few over time. mostly 16" crashes
    heres my list:

16" paiste 302 crash - this was on on my 1st kit (which was a Peace if anyone is interested). when it first cracked, i kept playing it because i didnt have the money to buy another one. when i eventually upgraded, it had 5 or 6 cracks and it sounded like an old dented piece of metal so i didnt bother including it with the kit when i sold it.

16" zildjian somethingorother crash - very long time ago back in primary school. no one really cared because the whole kit was on the way out anyway.

12" zildjian zxt trashformer - this one was at my church almost a year ago. put a fairly decent crack in it. bit of a bummer really, beacuse i really liked it. i intend to get one for my kit eventually.

16" sabian pro crash - also at church a few months ago. just a small crack about half a cm long but it was enough to annoy me and swap it out for something else.

16" zildjian zbt crash - one of my own cymbals which ive had for a few years now. small crack just like the pro. man i cant wait til i can upgrade.

16" sabian xs rock crash - also at church haha the most recent cymbal ive done. it cracked just along the bell however. took me a while to find it. it was purchased a few years ago, along with the 16" pro, so theyve had a good life so far.
    Last edited by drumstix; 03-24-2011 at 12:31 AM.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Something really weird happened.
    Last week, i was moving around the school's kits and i was looking at the cymbals. All had no cracks.
    But i looked at them today, and the ZBT crash now has SEVEN new cracks in it! Seven! in a WEEK! 3 in the centre and 4 in the outer edge. One is already longer than an inch.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex