Thread: Headset mic

User Info Menu

Default Headset mic

I need recommendations for a headset mic. Anyone have one they like? I was thinking of a Shure, not too high-end, but decent sounding.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Default Re: Headset mic

I use a Shure SM 10A. It costs about $120 but it is a great pro-quality mic.

User Info Menu

skull candy bro
    PDP X7 Fusion Sparkling Black

Sabian:
    AA 14" Medium HiHats
    AA 16" medium Crash
    AA 18" Medium Crash
    AA 20" Medium Ride

Wuhan:
    17" china

User Info Menu

For ultra high quality, you should get a Razer Carcharias Headset, truly top quality, and cheaper than it should be.
    Tama Rockstar - Vintage Red - 10-12-14-14-22
    14" Paiste 2002 SE Hats : 18" Paiste Signature Prototype : Sabian Vault 20" Ride : 14" A Custom Fast Crash
    Tama IC Doubles

User Info Menu

the akg c520 has done well for me
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Locky305 View Post
    skull candy bro
    Professional quality headset mics, dude.

I was looking at getting a Shure SLX14/WH30 or PGX14/PG30 headset system recently, since my band is having me sing more and more and it's just a pain to go over the shoulder. I think as a drummer, you'd have to go with a more rugged headphone. So, yeah.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

You know I go back and forth about this. It probably would be a lot more comfortable and easier to play with a headset mic, but it also makes it impossible to "get away from the mic". Also, there's something very "rock and roll" about leaning over to sing, the same way guitarists "step up to the mic" when they sing.

I've been looking at the Shure WH20 since I figure dynamic with a cable is fine for me.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

You will find that the cheaper Mic's need to be Hotter and are more prone to Feedback . If you buy good quality , it only hurts once . Try and get the same Brand of mic that your Band has as its easier to EQ the Monitors and avoid feedback .

User Info Menu

I see that this thread is a little over a year old. Are there any new recommendations since the last post??
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

I have the basic Shure head mic with a wire. Q20 or something like that. It's pretty decent, but I am a waffler. The head set and the trad mic stand system both have some serious pros and cons.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have given a lot of thought to getting a headset mic, because I am currently using a mic on a mic stand, and it's not as comfortable as I would like it to be. I am seriously considering the Shure WH20XLR mic that KO recommended (I like not going wireless, because if the FCC does any more tinkering, I don't want a system that is suddenly obselete), but I was wondering if using if while wearing glasses would be an issue. Does anyone use an over the ears headset while wearing glasses? Is it a problem?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I just bought the Shure WH30XLR (wired version) a few weeks ago and am VERY happy with it. I just don't like the short cord (1.5 m???).

Anyway, it sounds great and that's what counts.

Best of luck.
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I have given a lot of thought to getting a headset mic, because I am currently using a mic on a mic stand, and it's not as comfortable as I would like it to be. I am seriously considering the Shure WH20XLR mic that KO recommended (I like not going wireless, because if the FCC does any more tinkering, I don't want a system that is suddenly obselete), but I was wondering if using if while wearing glasses would be an issue. Does anyone use an over the ears headset while wearing glasses? Is it a problem?
    Bob, the WH20XLR intergrates the Croakies headband that keeps the microphone in place. If you put your glasses on AFTER you put the headset mic on, you shouldn't have any issues with fitment.

User Info Menu

Thanks Rich, I appreciate your input. That makes me feel more secure, so I think the next time I'm in Nashville I'll stop into GC to see if I can try on a headset. Either that or I'll order one, and then if there is a problem I could return it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I find that one looses a bit of "expression" when ya use a headset mic...you can't "work" it the way you can with a mic on a stand. You kinda end up breathing differently because you don't you don't wanna "huff and puff" into the mic..i have an AKG, some model, around $250 Cdn..ya wanna buy it?
    Russ

User Info Menu

Well, I couldn't wait. I went to my local GC and bought an Audio-Technica PRO 8HEx. I told the guy what I was interested in, and he said this was what he had. I got that and a 15' cord for it. I should be all set.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Ive been singing and drumming for well over 30 years and I sing a lot of lead vocals but also sing a lot of harmony vocals and the headset mic just does not work for me singing harmony parts...you cant back out of the mic on softer tunes so you "blend" unless you have one of those rare voices that you can control volume along with singing high notes effortlessly. Ive used a typical mic stand with a boom and screwed on an 18" chrome "Gooseneck" then the mic clip, positioned the boom at an angle and positioned the "gooseneck" over my head and placed the mic just to the left side of my face. This doesnt answer your question but it kinda gives you an option to a headset mic. Just sayin ~~~
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I'm using a similar setup now. It seems like the best way to position the mic so it's not in the way of your playing. I also have the same concern of not being able to back off a headset mic.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Agree with the comments here- I went back to a SM 58 on a stand from various headset mikes because:

• They are just plain uncomfortable.

•You cannot back off from a headset, so all your huffing and puffing is picked up as well.

•like what was said, you cannot moderate volume by backing off.

•Headsets are kinda fragile, with thin wires and small connectors that are easily broken.

•A Shure SM 10 might be good for directing air traffic, but it is a very
    midrangy mike, not great for lead vocals.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .