Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally, A NEW KIT! Lots of pics!

User Info Menu

Default Finally, A NEW KIT! Lots of pics!

err, it's a used kit, but its a "new" used kit! it came this Friday in Silverstar boxes..Pretty messed up huh? Eh not really, they were cool!
    Enjoy what I'm about to show you...My New Birch Pacific Black 5 Piece.KIT!!!!
    **MNBPB5PK for short.** They need proper tuning. And a new snare reso head.And new snare wires..Heck, maybe a new snare!
    btw pics are not in order..

Timeline of the search of a kit.
    Prelude: It all started with a CB 700 kit that I sold for $190, I put a lot of love and care into it, but it just wasn’t the sound I was looking for...So this was the beckoning of- “The Search for a quality kit, with a great sound and was cheap. REAL cheap.” (Odd title I know.)

***NOTE***: SKIP TO THE BOTTOM IF YOU WANT JUST THE PICTURES AND THE DESCRIPTION OF THE ACTUAL KIT.

3.20.11-Day 1: CB 700 Internationale kit sold! Immediately begins search for new used kit from research on GC of previous day. Gets shipping quotes on some kits, spends hours on the GC used page. Finds many interesting kits, gets a list going of possible ones to buy. Decides to sleep on it and resume the hunt the next day.

Day 2: Even though hoping for a red kit, decides to go for the Black Pacific Birch kit from Albuquerque, versus getting a Pearl Export, Tama Rockstar, etc.. Yamaha stage custom (black) was a possibility, it was a 6 piece kit (what I wanted the most over vs. a 5 piece ), but out of price range by around 50-60 bucks. Goes to Guitar Center to make purchase, a beautiful evening. After Walking into the store and being greeted by a friendly rep, I go up to the guy and tell him what I want to order. We talk about the great deal and how maple vs birch positives and negatives, etc... while waiting for the manager to approve the deal and all. I get the money out and my precious $30 off coupon, and wait nervously and anxiously.. I then, after giving him the coupon, he says it probably won’t work. I feel faint and start to turn red... He then tries it and stuff as I am almost on the verge of losing it if it does not approve. IT WORKS! I then pay the rest and feel a gush of relief.
    I get assured that it will probably ship out the next day.

Day 3: I call in asking if it shipped out yet, he says they are still trying to work out the details with my local store...

Day 4 or 5?: I call in and ask if it got shipped, the guy says he didn’t see it in the warehouse, so it probably got shipped out, I ask him for a tracking number, he says the warehouse guy is out call back later.

Day 6: I call back in 1-2 days (a Saturday), asking for a tracking number, he says he can’t seem to find the tracking number, call back on Monday when the warehouse guy is in (the guy I was talking to was filling in or something).

Day 7: Wait.

Day 8: I Called in and the warehouse guy was there, I asked him for a tracking number, he tries to look it up, but does not find it, he says he only remembers sending out a couple different kits, he says he will interrogate the guys that were working in the drums section. He calls back in 5-10 minutes, says that they don’t have a clue of where it is or something, he asks more info (receipt info, and local GC location, etc..), and says he will call back later. A couple hours or so, he calls back (or maybe I did, can’t remember), and tells me that the kit was never shipped out because one of the guy who quote “was not the best of salesmen” never told anyone that it needed to get shipped out, and says he will try like heck to get the drum kit out to me, and if he can’t, the next day. I call back later, it wasn’t shipped out.

Day 9: They ship out the kit to the UPS warehouse, I get a tracking number, and I start tracking it.

Day 10: Leaves packing facility.In transit. I get a follow-up call from the friendly rep.

Day 11: In transit

Day 12: In transit

Day 13: I finally get the kit! The pictures are shown below!

All in all, I was VERY satisfied with their service (except for the delay and all that), on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best, I would rate my experience at an 8.
    Guitar Center is so cool!

Total Paid: $257 (I actually got a refund {they took out extra just in case} of $20 something, making the total around $233)
    [that is with the coupon, so I paid $257 in cash, and the $30 more was from the coupon] or so for shipping, tax, and the kit!)

Review of the actual kit:

The Pacific 5 Piece Drum Kit in a gloss black wrap was a great buy, It did have some scuffs and such, but most of them were removed using a cleaner. The shells seem very durable, and they are beautiful. The heads that came with them were Clear Evans G2’s on the toms, Coated Evans Genera on the Snare batter, Clear Evans Genera Resonate on the floor tom resonate, Clear Stock Pacific bass drum batter, Black Aquarian with muffling ring on the Bass drum resonate, clear stock snare resonate, and clear stock heads on all toms resonate sides. I am in the middle of trying to find a decent sound out of them, and I will post more on that later. I prefer coated over clear for it’s warmth, so I may consider changing them. The lugs were in great shape, but another con was that the some of the wrap on the floor tom and a bit on the bass drum was warped and wrinkled looking, but I don’t believe it to b a major concern. The tom arms were sturdy for the most part, but did seem thin and slightly flimsy, Pearl or Gibraltar tom arms would fair better, but these will do for now, even though they shake a bit when I hit the rack toms.

Pro’s:
    • It sound good (it will sound amazing when I get around to tuning them correctly...And maybe trade the snare for something a bit warmer and better, but it’s OK for now.)

• The price was excellent, around $233 in the grand total!

• The heads were brand new for the most part!

• The set up is much more comfortable.

• The bass drum is a ton better than my old one, and sounds excellent, even though it’s not tuned up that great!

• There would be more “pro’s” if I tune them right lol!

Con’s:

• I wanted a red kit, or something more sharp looking than black.

• The wrap had some wrinkling thing going on on a few of the drums.

• The snare wires are making a sharp buzz sound every time I hit it, will try to get rid of that soon...

Not many con’s here, for a good reason!

I don’t know if this is the longest single posting on DrumChat history or what....

Thank you for reading this, that is- if you really cared about all the little details, which most of you probably don’t care about, and I don’t blame you, there is nothing special about them, it’s fun for me to do it though...If you did read over the ENTIRE thing (I would not expect you to, the pics and the review are where it’s at), well good for you! :D you get a gold sticker with your name on it! If you are getting angry because I didn’t let you know earlier..Mercy.

I hope you Enjoyed my review and the pics!!

Shot at 2011-04-02

Shot at 2011-04-02
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: Finally, A NEW KIT! Lots of pics!

Shot at 2011-04-02

Shot at 2011-04-02
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Shot at 2011-04-02

Shot at 2011-04-02
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new kit!
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Shot at 2011-04-02

Shot at 2011-04-02

Shot at 2011-04-02
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Shot at 2011-04-02

Shot at 2011-04-02

Shot at 2011-04-02

Shot at 2011-04-02
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

I read the whole thing! I could sense the excitement in your post. Congrats! Lets see a shot of the whole kit!

edit: Spoke too soon! I see you're still posting pics!

User Info Menu

Shot at 2011-04-02

Shot at 2011-04-02

Shot at 2011-04-02

Weird format for uploading pics... Sorry for all the multiple posts! Enjoy the pictures! Tips welcome!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Lol my post got lost in a sea of more pictures...congrats!
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

That looks great! Awesome choice on sticks, too! That's what I use!
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    That looks great! Awesome choice on sticks, too! That's what I use!
    How long are those suckers?

User Info Menu

Nice drums - congrats! Always a ton of fun unpacking a set of drums - nothing like it I say.
    I use those sticks too. I use the Jazz size - similar to 7A but nice and heavy = great sticks.
    Gary

User Info Menu

It could be me, but it looks like you've got to turn your bassdrum around (and change the heads accordingly).

User Info Menu

Yeah your kick drum is backwards. The legs go on the front side.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I read the whole thing! I could sense the excitement in your post.
    +1 here
    and you have all the right to be

congrad brother for your new lit maybe some you tube link for us

have fun on your new drums

cheer

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Congrats dude! I love that new gear feeling. PS a pillow probably works better than bubble wrap xD
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

very nice, im sure you'll enjoy them ... congrats.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

@tah821
    "Congrats on the new kit!"
    Thanks!

@marko138
    "I read the whole thing! I could sense the excitement in your post. Congrats! Lets see a shot of the whole kit!

edit: Spoke too soon! I see you're still posting pics!"

Thanks!!
    Wow, I can't believe it...THe entire thing??! YOU my friend, should get a medal for that!
    Yeah, I was (and still are!) reallly excited, so I for sure wanted to show that!

@tah821
    "Lol my post got lost in a sea of more pictures...congrats!"

I did promise lots of pics!!!!

@IAmNotATable
    "That looks great! Awesome choice on sticks, too! That's what I use! "

Yeah, they are amazing aren't they?! You have excellent taste btw!
    I'm so happy! :D

""""Originally Posted by IAmNotATable""""
    ""That looks great! Awesome choice on sticks, too! That's what I use!""

@marko138 "How long are those suckers?"

I believe they are the regular size sticks, they match up in size to my old ones!

@kona
    "Nice drums - congrats! Always a ton of fun unpacking a set of drums - nothing like it I say.
    I use those sticks too. I use the Jazz size - similar to 7A but nice and heavy = great sticks."

Thanks!! Yep, gotta love unpacking, I got knda sad when there were no more boxes left to open :( but I was happy I had a kit, and a nice one at that!!
    7A's? Those must have been those beefy fat ones I saw in GC one time...I might pick up a pair to practice with!

@CasB
    "It could be me, but it looks like you've got to turn your bassdrum around (and change the heads accordingly)."

Actually, you were right! I was admiring the bass drum when I saw that the heads were on backwards....I couldn't believe it, but if you look in the next pic you see that I turned it around!

@Northern Redneck
    "Yeah your kick drum is backwards. The legs go on the front side."

Same response as above! :D

@Riouel
    "+1 here
    and you have all the right to be

congrad brother for your new lit maybe some you tube link for us

have fun on your new drums

cheer "

Thanks for reminding me, I will be posting a vid soon! Just give me a 1-3 weeks to get it all tuned and such. Thanks, I will have fun!!

@Constinator25
    "Congrats dude! I love that new gear feeling. PS a pillow probably works better than bubble wrap xD"

It didn't sound bad at first, and the bubble wrap was from the boxes they packed it in lol! I'm probably going to put a pillow in there soon though! Thanks!!

@atomcorr2
    "very nice, im sure you'll enjoy them ... congrats."

Thanks, I will enjoy them!! :D

_________

Thanks for all of your responses, keep'em coming!
    Youtube vid coming soon to a DrumChat near you....
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Congratulations!! You're gonna have fun playing those!
    Ahhhh the memories, I had a CB700 brandywine kit about 1984-85. Learned a lot of Iron Maiden songs on that kit. LOL

User Info Menu

Again - very nice kit!
    Actually 7A's are thinner/lighter stick than --say...5A's (the smaller the number the smaller diameter stick usually). I have some 2B's that are like baseball bats haha. My Jazz sticks are nice and thin....relatively speaking.

Ya - the Promark stick like you have must be heavy too - if they're built like my "Jazz" sticks. They feel like Ironwood

It's good that you documented the unveiling of your kit....it will be something special..again....in years to come I'm sure.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    @tah821

@kona
    I use those sticks too. I use the Jazz size - similar to 7A but nice and heavy = great sticks."

7A's? Those must have been those beefy fat ones I saw in GC one time...I might pick up a pair to practice with!
    Gary

User Info Menu

Nice set! I think thats the same exact one that I first started with.
    The drums!
    Tama Starclassic Birch 5 piece
    14x6.5 Brass Pork Pie big black snare
    12",14" DDrum Deccabons
    Batter- Aquarian Response 2 coated
    Reso- Aquarian Classic Coated

The Cymbals!
    17" Paiste 2002 Wild Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Power Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    14" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hi hats
    10" Wuhan Splash
    16" Wuhan China

User Info Menu

The new kit looks great! And for the record, I love the black.
    Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.

User Info Menu

DrumRookie...
    Here are the Jazz Pro-Mark sticks - the green electrical tape is to add some strength to the tip neck. Just a precaution I like to take - it may or may not help.

Last edited by kona; 04-03-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Lookin good, hoss.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

yea for u
    Happy Drumming!

IS15