Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dream?

User Info Menu

Default Dream?

ok I've heard dream is great, dream is terrible, dream is alright...
    so whats the deal with dream? which series is the more bright "rock" per say and which series is dark.
    which cymbals are good which aren't?

thanks
    zebra wrapped gretsch catalina club mod:
    12" tom
    16" floor tom
    14" snare
    22x20 kick

Cymbals:
    17" saluda mist x crash
    20" saluda decadence ride
    14" Saluda mist x hats
    16" dream bliss crash
    10" wuhan splash (modified via salt water)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dream?

I've only tried Dream's Bliss, and I love them. They're fair priced B20 grade cymbals, and they sound good too! A guitarist I know has them. I totally don't mind using them next to or instead of my Zildjians.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

I'm dying to try this bliss series... it has all the sizes I need, too. 19 inch crash/ride? YESSS
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Yeah man! Check out the Paper-thins if you like bigger crashes. It's why I'm switching to Meinl. More variety, more sizes. You won't be disappointed with Dream, though.

User Info Menu

I have a decent collection of Dreams:
    14" Bliss Hats
    14" Energy Hats
    14" Contact Crash
    16" Bliss Crash
    17" Contact Crash
    18" Vintage Bliss Crash/Ride

They all have their own sound. So far I have found nothing to dislike about the cymbals. If you are interested in Dream, go play some and see for yourself. Because they are hand hammered each cymbal (even in the same line) has it's own sound. And they have a lot of different styles.

They are definitely a great cost effective alternative to the big names.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I've got 14" Dream Contact hi-hats and a 16" Dream Contact crash, a 19" Vintage Bliss Crash/Ride and a 20" Bliss Paperthin (I believe) Crash/Ride...amazing crashes AND rides and hats. TOTALLY recommend. Like them better than most Zildjians I have heard.

User Info Menu

Zach, any place I could see the paperthin in action? People at my church are interested in switching.

User Info Menu

From the video's iv heard, if they are anything to go by, they are pretty amazing for the price!
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Table, they have a LOT of stuff on YouTube, just type in the kind you want. Check this out, also: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4U4ASLOeac"]YouTube - Zack Pomerleau Trio performing "Voodoo Chile (A Slight Return)."[/ame]

Me using a 16" Dream Contact crash as a top hat over a 16" Sabian B8 16" crash. The left side cymbal is a 20" Paper Thin (it doesn't say it, but it's right at the cut-off weight range) Dream Bliss, and on the right is a 19" Dream Vintage Bliss. Hope this helps!

User Info Menu

I recently picked up a 17" Dream Bliss Crash and a 16" Dream Contact Crash. I got such a good deal that I decided to buy them without even hearing them with my other cymbals, and that is something I rarely do. The Bliss crash has a darker sound, and the Contact has a brighter, more cutting sound. I like them both very much, and I would recommend anyone taking a look at the Dream cymbals. You still have to decide for yourself, but they are definitely worth the look.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

From my experience so far, I would say anyone looking at cymbals who has a more modest budget and doesn't have their heart set on a specific line from Zildjian, Sabian, or Paiste should take a look at Dreams.

I'm not sure if I have too many videos with me using mine that are much of anything.

Here's one the day I got some new Dreams. Everything but the ride is Dream (check my earlier post for which one's).
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fRKQJsRlfc"]YouTube - Cymbal Test[/ame]

I have an audio recording of us playing live somewhere, but can't find the email from the bassist.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gretschfan:) View Post
    so whats the deal with dream?

thanks

...dream is chinese... so it's off my list. It's not a "buy american" thing, it's a "don't buy chinese" thing.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
    ...dream is chinese... so it's off my list. It's not a "buy american" thing, it's a "don't buy chinese" thing.
    I totally respect that, but are you really able to keep that up across the board given the huge percentage of consumer goods that are made in China? Do you just limit it to the stuff that you know is from China and can control?
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Wow, just found out that we do have a distributor for Dream Cymbals here in Australia, up in Brisbane though. Bummer, wish there was a shop over here in Sydney where I could try them, they don't sound too bad at all. I like their series of gongs, but that's the percussionist side of me talking though, lol.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gretschfan:) View Post
    so whats the deal with dream? which series is the more bright "rock" per say and which series is dark.
    which cymbals are good which aren't?
    thanks

Ahhh,you`re just dreamin!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

I think not buying Chinese is sorta ignorant, but to each their own! I love the cymbals more than just about any modern Zildjian out there.

User Info Menu

Zach, let's be careful about making a judgment without having the facts about why someone might feel that way. Otherwise we leave ourselves open to be criticized ("ignorant") for making such a judgment.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Bob, I was being nice, and I don't mind if he judges me based on it, I am totally cool if he doesn't want Chinese, I just think that's ignorant. I understand that with certain things, but it's a cymbal. As I said, to each their own!

User Info Menu

Zach, it's Ok to not agree with someone else on a point of view. Maybe I should have said that using a word like "ignorant" might come across as a little harsh to some people.

User Info Menu

To clarify... yes I kinda have to limit it to things I can control, obviously I don't know where all the components inside things come from, but if there is a choice there then I will choose Singapore, or Taiwan, or Portugal (just to name a few) over China.

And I think the more someone looks at the Government in China, the less inclined they are to buy products from them. I have nothing against the Chinese people.. I hope they will soon be free of the yoke of oppression.. but until that time comes I can't see knowingly giving my money to their masters.

Yeah.. it's easy to sit back and ignore it when we're not the ones being lined up in front of a ditch... it's not our friends and neighbors disappearing in the middle of the night because they logged in to the wrong website... or being executed because we happen to be an organ donor match to some party official.

You can call me ignorant if you wish... but I didn't make the decision lightly, Lord knows I loved my Wuhans (may they RIP).
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

I find it hard to believe anyone can totally do that. You must have SO many things Chinese in your home, including clothing. I don't get the Anti-Chinese ordeal going around. Face it, they might not make much, but it's cash all the same. To each their own I guess.

User Info Menu

To clarify... yes I kinda have to limit it to things I can control, obviously I don't know where all the components inside things come from, but if there is a choice there then I will choose Singapore, or Taiwan, or Portugal (just to name a few) over China.

And I think the more someone looks at the Government in China, the less inclined they are to buy products from them. I have nothing against the Chinese people.. I hope they will soon be free of the yoke of oppression.. but until that time comes I can't see knowingly giving my money to their masters.

Yeah.. it's easy to sit back and ignore it when we're not the ones being lined up in front of a ditch... it's not our friends and neighbors disappearing in the middle of the night because they logged in to the wrong website... or being executed because we happen to be an organ donor match to some party official.

You can call me ignorant if you wish... but I didn't make the decision lightly, Lord knows I loved my Wuhans (may they RIP).

I totally agree.I may have some Chinese things,but if I do,they must not be tagged where I can see it.To me the Chinese Govt. and pitbulls are a lot alike.They are too dangerous to befriend.I feel sorry for the people there.

Zack if you research into Communism and your family tree,you may find that members of your own family may have fought to free the oppressed people of India and Burma in WWII from the Chinese Govt.(Im not great on history,but i think i got that right).There are many ways to look at anything,but walking in someone elses shoes is a wise choice.It gives you a different perspective sometimes.You have the right to speak about whatever you like here,but not if you lived there.If I could put the money directly into the hands of the people and by pass the Govt. I would do it in a minute.There is way more to it than just buying a cymbal.Many things can be much deeper than that.Not ridiculing you bud,just asking that you look at both sides of any subject.Often,there is more than meets the eye.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Dave,

Just to clarify on my side, I was just pointing out how difficult it can be to follow through on your decision in today's marketplace.

I totally respect people who stand up for their principles, and there's no question that the Chinese govt leaves much to be desired, to say the least.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

I've played a couple of Dreams in store, and they sounded good to me, but my ear isn't exactly what you'd call refined. The head drum guy where I do my drum shopping was telling me that Dreams are good, but you have to play them first. Based on his experience, two identical cymbals can sound very different apparently. He loves them, but he won't buy a Dream without playing it first.
    Gretsch Catalina Ash - Liquid Black - Hats: 14" Sabian SR2
    You don't have to be very good. Just relax, have fun, and keep the beat.
    If you sucked, they wouldn't keep inviting you back to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    I've played a couple of Dreams in store, and they sounded good to me, but my ear isn't exactly what you'd call refined. The head drum guy where I do my drum shopping was telling me that Dreams are good, but you have to play them first. Based on his experience, two identical cymbals can sound very different apparently. He loves them, but he won't buy a Dream without playing it first.
    That's absolutely correct. From what I understand, they are completely hand hammered, and therefore there can be very different from cymbal to cymbal. My experience with them has been the same.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K