Thread: Hitting the Drums

User Info Menu

Default Hitting the Drums

Well, as you may know, I bought my first kit. I am really enjoying it but I find as I am getting all into it and sweating and having a great time and whatnot, I start hitting the drums very hard. I have Remo Pinstripe heads. And I am a girl, medium build. Is it ok to just go with the flow and pound away or can I hurt my heads or drums? Thanks DrumChat, you guys are my mentors...

User Info Menu

Hey Drummina, I don't know about everyone else, but I find myself hitting harder when I'm really getting into it. Don't hit too hard or you will dent your heads. The best thing to do is record yourself while you are playing a song. Does the increased volume and energy fit the song? Or do you need to mellow it out a little bit? Some songs only sound good if you are projecting a lot of energy while other songs really have to be toned down to get all the subtle nuances out that compliment the music. It also depends on the type of music you are playing. If your playing jazz, show some restraint. If your playing punk/metal, let it all hang out. But, most importantly, feel the music and have fun doing it.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

HIT YOUR DRUMS! THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE THERE FOR!

If you break a head, so what. It happens. They are made to be replaced.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummina
    Well, as you may know, I bought my first kit. I am really enjoying it but I find as I am getting all into it and sweating and having a great time and whatnot, I start hitting the drums very hard. I have Remo Pinstripe heads. And I am a girl, medium build. Is it ok to just go with the flow and pound away or can I hurt my heads or drums? Thanks DrumChat, you guys are my mentors...
    Hitting harder the faster, more "into it" you get is pretty common i think. As long as you're still in contorl, it shouldn't be a problem, however if you are just going completely crazy, it's counter-productive. Rudiments and stick exercises and that are done with a very strong purpose of gaining control, and if your doing all those, and then when you play just letting go and going nuts, then it's all for nothing in the end.

As far as damaging your kit goes, if your out of control it's probably a given, and you'll probably wind up snapping your sticks, while putting nice little marks all ver the rims of your kit. But, of course, it's also part of the fun, so I wouldn't worry too much, but I suppose what I am saying is try and remain in contorl of what you're doing more than anything.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Personally I would try to get a few rudiments down pat first with some solid stick control, nice and even from both hands and hit at a medium strength.
    As well as this get on the practice pad and learn to control the sticks and the amount of pressure you exert towards the drum head using the control you will build up within your hands where you grip the stick not neccasarily using your wrists for power.

THEN get back to the kit and start to play those rudiments you have learnt and put in some power shots with the stick control you have learnt, use some extra 'power' on certain strokes.

It is fairly amazing how much power you can sometimes generate onto the drum WITHOUT having to slam the stick into it like a baseball bat.

Be patient, and in about 25 years from now you should be playing pretty hot !!
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Well, what I do is this: Singles at a certain tempo on my snare, then start hitting all over with my right, keeping my left on the snare, and going back and forth with my right from the snare to toms, while keeping the same tempo and keeping it even. It is fun and challenging. I am doing this, thinking it will help me really know where everything is on my kit. I do it with my eyes shut sometims too. So during this exercise that I made up, that is when I get into it and hit everything really hard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente
    HIT YOUR DRUMS! THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE THERE FOR!

If you break a head, so what. It happens. They are made to be replaced.
    I agree Mr. President.

User Info Menu

Cool Hitting the drums

Quote Originally Posted by Drummina
    If you haven't yet, talk with the person from whom you bought the drums. Many drum stores offer lessons; at the very least, they sell drum instruction books which contain practice tips about accents.

As far as hitt'n the drums, it's good that you're wanting to get into it and show off your power, but it's also good to learn how to control your sticking and your strokes...that way you can pound away without killing yourself or your drums.

BTW, as you've already noticed, some drummers consider broken sticks and battered drumheads badges of their performance !

Have fun...and
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck