Thread: Achilles Tendon pain

User Info Menu

Default Achilles Tendon pain

Not exactly sure where this topic goes.

So, I'm very active. Run marathons, do triathlons, etc. I started getting a severe pain in my right heel area about a week ago. The only new activity in my life is the drums for the last 3 months.

I'm hoping this is a crazy thought. But, can drummers get injured? It's my right foot, so it stays really active when playing.

paranoid,
    texdrumr

User Info Menu

Default Re: Achilles Tendon pain

Drummers sure can. I'm dealing with a shoulder thing now. Pain, inflammation. I've had to cut way back on playing time, and when I do play, it's nothing heavy and I have to hit it with ice right after.

Prep like you would for running, or any other activity. A good warm up, and stretch. If drumming is aggravating it, lay off a few days, then ease back into it.

Take a good look at your setup. Is your kick too close, too far, pedal angle to steep, throne too high/low? Sometimes changing the kit a little is all it takes. Good luck and take care of yourself Tex.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    Drummers sure can. I'm dealing with a shoulder thing now. Pain, inflammation. I've had to cut way back on playing time, and when I do play, it's nothing heavy and I have to hit it with ice right after.

Prep like you would for running, or any other activity. A good warm up, and stretch. If drumming is aggravating it, lay off a few days, then ease back into it.

Take a good look at your setup. Is your kick too close, too far, pedal angle to steep, throne too high/low? Sometimes changing the kit a little is all it takes. Good luck and take care of yourself Tex.

+1
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Thanks. Drumming does zero to aggravate it. Nothing, nada. BUT...it's the only thing new. This could easily be an over-use injury from running, mountain biking, or whatever. I'm going into the Podiatrist tomorrow just to see.

Thanks for the responses.

Randy

User Info Menu

It could be plantar fasciitis which can cause heel pain especially in the mornings when the muscles are tight and contracted overnight. The tendon that's causing the pain runs from the heel to the toes. Arch supports help, and plantar fasciitis can lead to heel spurs if it's not properly treated. Good luck and I hope you find some comfort soon.

User Info Menu

Most certainly get it checked out. I had inflamed my Achilles tendon quite a few years due to overuse from drumming, long time in the car etc. Had to ease back on rehearsals and gig work (although I kept the tuition work up, which meant I could at least be at ease and break up my time on the kit), and was given ibuprofen and massages. Thank heavens I often play with a double pedal, as I started using the left beater more, gaining more strength with the left foot whilst the right one I'd rest on the pedal as I'd play, until my right foot recovered. I still warm and stretch my ankles, feet, etc before I play nowadays.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8