Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 553

Thread: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

  1. #26

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    post deleted.
    Last edited by DamageDrummer; 01-20-2012 at 11:52 PM.

  2. #27

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    haha- breaking all the rules!

    ALOT of text in one post
    and now im double posting

    i can already see someone putting me in the "pet peeves" thread in the off topic area

    a video surfaced of this exact show, its mushroomheads opening performance. this is a vid worth watching for all drummers. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp7DoMJvEMs"]YouTube - Mushroomhead @ Ace of Spades[/ame]


    Last edited by DamageDrummer; 04-20-2011 at 01:45 PM.

  3. #28

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    @Damage: Great post! It was a thrill to be part of the show. Looking forward to May 7th and many more!

    I learned so much about what a drum tech's role is by watching the headliner's crew go through their sound check before the audience was allowed in. There are specific set of circumstances where the dynamic's used during the sound check is crucial to set FOH levels and I can imagine just how frustrating a sound tech can get when instruction aren't followed in a timely manner.

    I also learned how critical it is to clear the stage. I'm glad we had a chance to work on the basic layout of your kit before the next show. I'm confident that we can move the rack with the cymbals in place. My only concern would be the 7.5 pound 24" Paiste Eclispe Mega Power Ride flopping around the boom arm. We'll need to do a few dry runs with the ride mounted on the rack to see if we have enough clearance to keep it from clanging around and getting dented. We can always mount the ride on the rack when we slip the bass drum in place after the rack is moved on stage.

    By looking at the pics I took of your kit on the day we met, it looks as though it's easier to move the kit without a cumbersome rack but the risk of having the cymbal stands in the wrong position is increased if we don't have time to tweek and you'd mentioned that the rack made the kit feel much more stable.

    I noticed that the kit's staged in the narrow hallway at last night's show were easier to manuver around since they we not mounted to racks. The cymbal stands were neatly lined up along one side of the hallway which allowed for more room to stack concert case covers for the electronic roll around racks but I know the circumstances are different at each venue. I'm glad you have played at many in Sacramento. This saves us from doing extensive site survey's for load in/out.




    Damage's kit before:



    Damage's kit after: (phone pic sorry)

    Last edited by late8; 04-19-2011 at 03:06 PM.

  4. #29

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    It was

    Cheers markthechuck! did you say pay? Nah, the start of this venture is purely for fun, fellowship, and an opportunity to watch and learn some awesome drumming from Damage. I have so much respect for DrumChat now that I've personally met my first member. The modesty of the pros and the help they provide is why this forum so popular in my opinion.
    Late8, didn't mean pay for my services, you'd have a lot more knowlodge than me anyday, i'd love to meet some fellow drum Chatters from the UK or US or worldwide for that matter, things like you teaming up with DammageDrummer are what makes you friends for life.
    Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

    Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

    I play lead Drums

  5. #30

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Late8, didn't mean pay for my services, you'd have a lot more knowlodge than me anyday, i'd love to meet some fellow drum Chatters from the UK or US or worldwide for that matter, things like you teaming up with DammageDrummer are what makes you friends for life.
    Cheers Mark
    Sorry mate didn't catch the reference! We'd love to have you and other musicians from the UK stop by my ranch in Lodi! We can have an international drum festival!

    cheers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    2 great guys I bet you are going to have some really great stories to tell
    That's right Larry! I think I already told you one in the shoutbox!

    Quote Originally Posted by Skimp241 View Post
    Sounds like a cool gig late,you guy's coming through chicago land?
    A good possibility that we would swing by Chicago Land! Lots of great metal heads. If we need any help, I know I can count on you since you play Paiste. I don't think I'll forget the Alpha china Jerry plays on again in the band trailer like I did at the last show. Man that was a panic attack!

    Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    Heck yeah late 8 dude hopefully I can see you guys next year =]
    Shab....we are counting on you to show up. We can have a huge drum circle with all of the Nor-Cal DrumChat members lol!

  6. #31

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Why didn't i hear about this show????????? i would have been there! i live like 10 minutes away from ace of spades T_T
    12x5 Pork Pie Lil Squeeler Snare
    Ddrum Reflex
    22x20 kick
    10x7 rack tom
    12x8 rack tom
    16x14 floor tom

    14" Sabian B8 Hi Hats
    17" Alpha Metal Crash
    19" Alpha Metal Crash
    20" B8 Ride

    Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal w/red offset cam

    www.facebook.com/thebattleofmidway

  7. #32

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Dude that would be so fun!!! and I will be there
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

  8. #33

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Quote Originally Posted by drmn4life View Post
    Why didn't i hear about this show????????? i would have been there! i live like 10 minutes away from ace of spades T_T
    Hey that's close! The Ace of Spades was orginally a huge dance club and the stage layout represents that fact. No backstage entrance or side wings to stage but a huge dance floor. Headlining band would be no problem with a kit set up before hand but to move on and off the stage while the audience is in the house was tough.

    Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    Dude that would be so fun!!! and I will be there
    Glad you are still planning to come out to Cali! My offer still stands. Got a spare bedroom you can call home for a week. Keep me in the loop!

  9. #34

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    @Damage: Great post! It was a thrill to be part of the show. Looking forward to May 7th and many more!

    I learned so much about what a drum tech's role is by watching the headliner's crew go through their sound check before the audience was allowed in. There are specific set of circumstances where the dynamic's used during the sound check is crucial to set FOH levels and I can imagine just how frustrating a sound tech can get when instruction aren't followed in a timely manner.

    I also learned how critical it is to clear the stage. I'm glad we had a chance to work on the basic layout of your kit before the next show. I'm confident that we can move the rack with the cymbals in place. My only concern would be the 7.5 pound 24" Paiste Eclispe Mega Power Ride flopping around the boom arm. We'll need to do a few dry runs with the ride mounted on the rack to see if we have enough clearance to keep it from clanging around and getting dented. We can always mount the ride on the rack when we slip the bass drum in place after the rack is moved on stage.

    By looking at the pics I took of your kit on the day we met, it looks as though it's easier to move the kit without a cumbersome rack but the risk of having the cymbal stands in the wrong position is increased if we don't have time to tweek and you'd mentioned that the rack made the kit feel much more stable.

    I noticed that the kit's staged in the narrow hallway at last night's show were easier to manuver around since they we not mounted to racks. The cymbal stands were neatly lined up along one side of the hallway which allowed for more room to stack concert case covers for the electronic roll around racks but I know the circumstances are different at each venue. I'm glad you have played at many in Sacramento. This saves us from doing extensive site survey's for load in/out.




    Damage's kit before:



    Damage's kit after: (phone pic sorry)

    Rich and Damage,

    From my own experience at clubs where we had to do really fast load in and load outs, I think Rich makes a good point about the rack. It saves time on cymbal stand locations, but it's harder to move. Having my rack toms on my old Tamas off the kick made load in and set up really fast because we just lifted the whole shebang as one right on to stage.

    You guys will have to experiment a little and decide if finding the right stand locations is more of an issue than the time it takes to move the rack, etc...

    I'm glad it's all going so well and I can't say how happy I am to know that two of my DC buds that I hold in the highest regard are out there together making it happen.

    Jesse
    Jesse

    1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Blue Nebula Blaze

  10. #35

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Thanks Jesse! Your insight is so valuable and we owe alot to members like you who add so much to this forum. You make a great case about cymbal stands. Not much of an issue to move those around a few inches as Jerry sits down to check the kit before the 1st song starts.

    As I recall the details on the last show, the only band that had a full rack was Mushroomhead and they were the only band that was backlined. The rest of the line up had cymbals stands including the headliner HED P.E. and their kit was off stage until the double bass rack was cleared off of the drum riser.

    I can move a 5pc kit by myself if it were on stands if the rack toms are mounted on the bass drum. With a rack I'll need an extra hand....Hmmmm....but the rack provides a more stable platform as stated by Jerry which takes priority over my issues....Hmmm...(scratches head and thinks...)

    I think Jerry will prefer the stability of the rack verses shaving a few minutes to load/unload the kit from the stage. I hope he can chime in.....

  11. #36

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Wow, this is amazing to hear! I'm happy for you two honestly. It's great that you both met through this forum and met each other and are doing something amazing.

    Sounds like a good learning experience for you both, and i wish you the best O'luck! I gotta start posting more often...this site is my homepage, and i check it everyday anyway haha

  12. #37

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Quote Originally Posted by dgonzo2 View Post
    Wow, this is amazing to hear! I'm happy for you two honestly. It's great that you both met through this forum and met each other and are doing something amazing.

    Sounds like a good learning experience for you both, and i wish you the best O'luck! I gotta start posting more often...this site is my homepage, and i check it everyday anyway haha
    Thanksdgonzo! Welcome to DrumChat and thanks for making DC your homepage! I hope to see you around the forum!

  13. #38

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks Jesse! Your insight is so valuable and we owe alot to members like you who add so much to this forum. You make a great case about cymbal stands. Not much of an issue to move those around a few inches as Jerry sits down to check the kit before the 1st song starts.



    I think Jerry will prefer the stability of the rack verses shaving a few minutes to load/unload the kit from the stage. I hope he can chime in.....
    +1 thanks jesse for your input on this, and i would have to say that you are exactly right. the reason i am looking at the rack from that standpoint is because i incorporate alot of choreographed theatrical movements into our show, like fast stick twirling and big movements. the stability and comfort of the rack combined with the piece of mind that rich built it and it cant fail- that is a very powerful combination for me as a performer and gives me alot to work with to entertain a crowd. we have a huge opportunity to compete with even the biggest bands. that drives me to want to work a bit harder so we can dominate and crush any competition that may come our way.

    with rich's help, i think we can take things to a different level and be one of the best that our town has to offer.

    again, thanks for all of your great responses.

    markthechuck....come on out here dude, im sure rich will let you help him tech a show or 2. its up to him you know.....he is in charge of that i have no say i just get you into the club

  14. #39

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Sounds like you guys have it planned out. It also sounds like you don't have the rush to stage that we had in the punk clubs in the late 80's and early 90's. At CBGB's we had like 2 minutes to be on stage and ready or it cut in to our set!!!

    So my kit was all set up in the hall, and we'd just run it on stage. In that instance it was a huge time saver to have the toms over the kick!

    Keep us posted on all the Damage goings on, so we can say we knew you when LOL.
    Jesse

    1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Blue Nebula Blaze

  15. #40

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    CBGB's

    very good club name.

    we do have alot planned, but it always is a rush to the stage it seems like, haha i guess that hasnt changed since the 80's

    both me and rich will keep this thread going for all who are interested. hopefully this will go on for a long time and we can tell about our experiences as a working band. this was not the last good show we have booked, there is alot more to come.

  16. #41

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    That is so cool!! It looks like a fun time. Great photos of the stage and the group photo is really nice!


    ^^^
    I just posted this and realized I missed the whole 2nd page! It's really nice to hear your experience. What a great story and nice seeing the pics and video! Looking forward to more updates!
    Last edited by LL70; 04-19-2011 at 09:55 PM.

    Pearl Session Series 5 pc Drum Set
    Paiste 14" 502 hi hats, 16" 502 crash, 18" 2002 medium crash, 20" 502 ride, 10" PST5 splash, 8" 2002 chime
    LP Cowbell, 6" Toca tambourine

    "The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

    You can't have too many Paiste 2oo2's... that's always been my policy. - Dave Wilson

    Back from a Dr. appointment. I'm still kickin' I WIN - Bish

  17. #42

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    That is so cool! I love this whole two drumchatters working together thing, makes me remember that everyone on here is actually a person haha

    Also, if you guys are ever in the Washington state area, or even Oregon/Idaho I will definitely make it a priority to come see you.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

    I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

    If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

    DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

  18. #43

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post

    with rich's help, i think we can take things to a different level and be one of the best that our town has to offer.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Jerry! We have our work cut out for us. Let's open up the garage door and see what we can use?







    Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Sounds like you guys have it planned out. It also sounds like you don't have the rush to stage that we had in the punk clubs in the late 80's and early 90's. At CBGB's we had like 2 minutes to be on stage and ready or it cut in to our set!!!
    Jesse that's exactly how it felt on the night of the show; a rush to the stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post

    both me and rich will keep this thread going for all who are interested. hopefully this will go on for a long time and we can tell about our experiences as a working band. this was not the last good show we have booked, there is alot more to come.
    Here's a story from the show that happened right before my eyes! As the drum tech, I was standing off to the side of the stage before the first band started. Apparently the guitar player for the first band dropped his only guitar and snapped the head off of the neck. There was a whirl of sheer panic as the guitar player scambled to find a quick replacement. Vinnie, our guitar player offered to lend him his back up but it was tuned to low C. It was tough to watch this train wreck heading down the track. The guy finally found a Strat and blew 8 min off their set 20 min set. Sound guy wouldn't let him tune up and insisted on a blow and go sound check. Wow...felt real bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by LL70 View Post
    That is so cool!! It looks like a fun time. Great photos of the stage and the group photo is really nice!
    Thanks LL70! Like a painting that's just started to appear on a blank sheet of canvas, his kit will slowly take shape!
    Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post
    That is so cool! I love this whole two drumchatters working together thing, makes me remember that everyone on here is actually a person haha

    Also, if you guys are ever in the Washington state area, or even Oregon/Idaho I will definitely make it a priority to come see you.
    TURTLINATOR, it would be a pleasure to meet our neighbors up north! Thanks for the invite. This is my first encounter with a DrumChat member and I"m blessed to have it be Jerry! He is an awesome person and very thoughtful and polite just like many of the members here. Thanks for stopping by the thread. We feel the support from this forum and our newly forged friendship is a testiment on the caliber of people we have on DrumChat.
    Last edited by late8; 04-20-2011 at 12:41 AM.

  19. #44

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Hey that's close! The Ace of Spades was orginally a huge dance club and the stage layout represents that fact. No backstage entrance or side wings to stage but a huge dance floor. Headlining band would be no problem with a kit set up before hand but to move on and off the stage while the audience is in the house was tough.
    yea man, im very familiar with ace of spades, my band played there a couple times when it was still The Empire, before they got Eric Rushing to book for em. I saw Whitechapel and The Acacia Strain there a few weeks back, i think they might even have made some upgrades to their whole system cuz it did NOT sound that good before lol. maybe they got a new sound guy too, cuz the one i remember was terrible.
    12x5 Pork Pie Lil Squeeler Snare
    Ddrum Reflex
    22x20 kick
    10x7 rack tom
    12x8 rack tom
    16x14 floor tom

    14" Sabian B8 Hi Hats
    17" Alpha Metal Crash
    19" Alpha Metal Crash
    20" B8 Ride

    Pearl Powershifter Eliminator Double Pedal w/red offset cam

    www.facebook.com/thebattleofmidway

  20. #45

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    post deleted.
    Last edited by DamageDrummer; 01-20-2012 at 11:55 PM.

  21. #46

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Jerry! We have our work cut out for us. Let's open up the garage door and see what we can use?








    Jesse that's exactly how it felt on the night of the show; a rush to the stage.

    Here's a story from the show that happened right before my eyes! As the drum tech, I was standing off to the side of the stage before the first band started. Apparently the guitar player for the first band dropped his only guitar and snapped the head off of the neck. There was a whirl of sheer panic as the guitar player scambled to find a quick replacement. Vinnie, our guitar player offered to lend him his back up but it was tuned to low C. It was tough to watch this train wreck heading down the track. The guy finally found a Strat and blew 8 min off their set 20 min set. Sound guy wouldn't let him tune up and insisted on a blow and go sound check. Wow...felt real bad.


    Thanks LL70! Like a painting that's just started to appear on a blank sheet of canvas, his kit will slowly take shape!
    TURTLINATOR, it would be a pleasure to meet our neighbors up north! Thanks for the invite. This is my first encounter with a DrumChat member and I"m blessed to have it be Jerry! He is an awesome person and very thoughtful and polite just like many of the members here. Thanks for stopping by the thread. We feel the support from this forum and our newly forged friendship is a testiment on the caliber of people we have on DrumChat.
    Okay so there is a ton of cool stuff in those pics, but do my eyes deceive me? Are those Tama Techstars in mint condition?
    Jesse

    1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Blue Nebula Blaze

  22. #47

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post




    Epic.... simply epic....
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

    Drummers can be very tempomental.....

  23. #48

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    I gotta say, this thread is so cool for so many reasons.

    1st. Some DC-ers got together and had fun. Barre none, this is the best, and it's why we come to DC. To socialize and learm from each other.

    2nd. DC appeals to newbies and pro's alike. This thread gives the newb an idea of what it's all about. It gives the pro a chance to say "hey, my band does it a different way, but I like yours better." The inverse is also true "Hey, I love your idea, my band should try it."

    Congrats you guys, and heres to many more venues ahead for you both!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

    Drummers can be very tempomental.....

  24. #49

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    I gotta say, this thread is so cool for so many reasons.

    1st. Some DC-ers got together and had fun. Barre none, this is the best, and it's why we come to DC. To socialize and learm from each other.

    2nd. DC appeals to newbies and pro's alike. This thread gives the newb an idea of what it's all about. It gives the pro a chance to say "hey, my band does it a different way, but I like yours better." The inverse is also true "Hey, I love your idea, my band should try it."

    Congrats you guys, and heres to many more venues ahead for you both!
    thanks cycledude that really means alot man. i love the newb's here! we all jam their heads full of knowledge and literally watch them grow into some sick drummers. i have been here for a few years now and have seen alot of it, i know you have probably seen it too!

    yeah, many bands do things alot different than others its actually fun to notice things like that because like you said, it gives you ideas on how to modify your setup techniques.

  25. #50

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: DamageDrummer and late8 Team Up

    Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Okay so there is a ton of cool stuff in those pics, but do my eyes deceive me? Are those Tama Techstars in mint condition?
    Yes, Jesse there are in mint condition. I'm the orgininal owner and I've had them since they came out in the mid '80s.





    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    I gotta say, this thread is so cool for so many reasons.

    1st. Some DC-ers got together and had fun. Barre none, this is the best, and it's why we come to DC. To socialize and learm from each other.

    2nd. DC appeals to newbies and pro's alike. This thread gives the newb an idea of what it's all about. It gives the pro a chance to say "hey, my band does it a different way, but I like yours better." The inverse is also true "Hey, I love your idea, my band should try it."

    Congrats you guys, and heres to many more venues ahead for you both!
    Thanks CycleDude! After seeing how big your kit was back in the '80s from the pics you've posted, we can sure use your advice if and when Jerry decides to try out my double bass kit. I realize now more than ever why the fast double kick machine-gun type rapid fire rolls are needed for this music genre. Without it, there is no emphasis at all on the edge of the screaming vocals. As far as a visual presentation, watching Mushroomheads roadies haul in the huge double bass rack during set-up was awesome and with a full compliment of chinas, chime cups and mini chinas, the kit looked so mencing! I'm hoping create some kind of theme out of the racks that I have. Maybe something that breaks the traditional visual lines that are normally associated with a standard drum kit? Here's a crazy idea I tried recently lol.....



    Last edited by late8; 04-20-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •