Thread: Gettin' Creative?

User Info Menu

Question Gettin' Creative?

So okay I have two weeks holidays now and I've decided to just play a simple 2 piece setup (Snare,Kick,Hats) to make the most outta my kit and get extremely creative. I also been watching and trying to imitate alotta drummers, even those who I don't usually listen too, I'm also working on my Music Theory (Reading & Writing material) and on my Rhythm ( Playing Basic Stuff on Different Tempos).
    My Question is, how should I divide all that on my daily routine? And will a 2 piece really make me more creative?
    I've also heard from many drummers that they just take a break for a week or so and don't play drums at all and then afterwards they say they're super creative, I would try this but thing is I only have these holidays to practice up to 3 hours or more a day. When I don't have holidays I can only achieve like 1 hour maximum daily. I know I should rather rest in my holidays but I really want to push my drumming to the next level within this year.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gettin' Creative?

I'm not sure a 2 piece will help that much, but it's worth a try. I sometimes play just snare (with some guitarists) and it's fun. I use the rim a lot.

I would say maybe try a 3 piece (FT) if you want to force yourself to do different things.

Like you said, I've actually found taking a break can make me do more creative things. I guess it's because you get stuck in ruts with your fills, etc... when you are playing all the time.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I'm a better drummer after long breaks. It doesn't make any sense.

I love the idea of only playing a two piece kit. It will force you to come up with some new stuff that, when melted into a full setup performance, will shine! Just my opinion.
    Gretsch Catalina Maple Fusion 6pc. Deep Amber

10" Zildjian Titanium ZXT Splash | 14" Zildjian A Quick Beat Hi-Hats | 17" Zildjian Custom K Hybrid Crash | 19" Zildjian Custom K Hybrid Crash | 21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

We have had the less is more discussion several times in the past. Sometimes a little break does wonders, give it a try and see if you notice a difference.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I can see the theory behind what your saying. Do more with less. But to me your really limiting yourself.

You still have to come up with fills and accents. Maybe try diffferent sticks, as kaostis said use the rim alot. Also, Ive been using the bell on my hats alot more. Makes a pretty cool "dink" sound. It's also works when opening the hats on two and four for a distinctive sound. It's not really a "sizzle" can't describe it, just try it yourself.

The fills could be replaced by simple rudiments between the snare, hats and bass. What is there, like 40 different rudiments? You can surley come up with some fill material out of 40 different rudiments.

Accents, couls be snare rolls, open hat, rim strikes, combo of any of these.

Thats just my take. My creativity just comes from time behind the set and pushing my horizons of songs to learn. Stuff just comes out of know where sometimes. I've been trying to do Bonham triplets, at speed. I just could'nt seem to get it down until one day it just happened. Now it's like I use them in alot of my playing. It just seems to come easy now. Being creative is the same for me. Things just happen. When that occures, I stop and explore what I did by mistake and either practice it and fit it in somewhere or junk it and go on.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Well you're only learning to be creative with the snare, kick, and hats. Your not learning to be creative with the toms, ride, crash, double pedal etc.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    Well you're only learning to be creative with the snare, kick, and hats. Your not learning to be creative with the toms, ride, crash, double pedal etc.
    Exactly!

User Info Menu

Two piece will help ya groove (I would know). I'd say it's worth a try! Then slowly add a tom.

User Info Menu

I would have to say playing a 2 piece would make you less creative, cause when you fill in the rest f the set, all you'll be playing is that setup, with a little of the other stuff.
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the reply guyss
    @Constinator25: By Creativity I mean using everything on my kit to it's fullest potential, if I added some more cymbals and drums then that would become even harder. I'm currently playing this setup to learn "different" material and apply it on my bigger setup. And the reason I won't use my Double Pedal is 'cause I've become to used to doing fast doubles and flams on it that I feel I should practice more on my leading foot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    Good point.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

One thing you can practice with a 2 piece is playing a long time on one UNwavering tempo groove. That can't hurt.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quick Update: So I've been practicing up too 10hours, for the last 3 days and I have dozens of blisters from playing that long and no I don't hold my sticks over tight. So for the first day I played a 2 piece setup and tried to make the most of it and now I'm playing a 4 piece and WOW! i really feel a difference, I'm like doing things that normally I wouldn't come up with! I also worked on a hell lotta rudiments... I feel this also helped me alot, since I neglected some important rudiments like Flams, The 6 stroke roll (def my fav :D) and others.

User Info Menu

Congrats on finding a way to spark improvement ISWC! I picked up a 4 piece Jazz kit a while back, and I found that it sparked a little somethng in me too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Creativity stems from having to overcome some sort of restriction (or "Necessity is the mother of invention"). Limiting what you can use to get sounds you like is exactly what you need to do to build creativity. Once the restrictions are removed, you can still do what you were doing and more.

I think ISWC's plan is a good one. It can't hurt (except for the blisters I guess). You might try a similar thing where you limit your use of other parts of the kit too. Though it would be hard to remove snare or hats completely. That'll force some creativity I bet.
    Gretsch Catalina Ash - Liquid Black - Hats: 14" Sabian SR2
    You don't have to be very good. Just relax, have fun, and keep the beat.
    If you sucked, they wouldn't keep inviting you back to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I'm not sure a 2 piece will help that much, but it's worth a try. I sometimes play just snare (with some guitarists) and it's fun. I use the rim a lot.

I would say maybe try a 3 piece (FT) if you want to force yourself to do different things.

Like you said, I've actually found taking a break can make me do more creative things. I guess it's because you get stuck in ruts with your fills, etc... when you are playing all the time.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-trB6E53jqM&feature=related"]YouTube - ADAM GRAY of TEXAS IN JULY random jams!![/ame]

For example, this^^^ helps create what you're about to watch...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-sky0Q28Mc&feature=related"]YouTube - Adam Gray - (6) Hook, Line and Sinner - Texas In July - Live - HD - Elyria - 2011[/ame]
    Last edited by jordison515; 04-27-2011 at 09:30 PM.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave