Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kit on the Way II

User Info Menu

Smile New Kit on the Way II

I'm upgrading from my beginner kit (ddrum D2) to a Gretsch Catalina maple kit in a "deep amber" finish. I thought about the Sonor Force 3005 in natural maple, but then it got discontinued at Muscician's Friend, so I went with the Gretsch. I really couldn't go wrong with either set in my mind. I think the Gretsch Catalina maple is beautiful in the deep amber finish, and more importantly, it sounds amazing. I especially liked the sound of the 14X6 snare. Good fat sound!

Here's the stock photo for now. When they arrive in 2-5 days (sorry Wotto), I'll get 'em set up and take some pics of my official set.

User Info Menu

Grazt!

I just ordered the same kit but in tobacco fade. Can't waite till it arrives next week.

woot!

User Info Menu

Gratz!

I also ordered the Gretsch Catalin maple but in the "tobacco fade" finish.

woot!

User Info Menu

Cool!

Not only did I enjoy playing the kit, but I have heard more than one person say that they had it, and really loved it. Don't know about (although I bet I can guess) but I'm waiting very impatiently. Got to find a little extra space for the 16X16 in the meantime.

Enjoy your new kit, Kazi!

User Info Menu

Sweet! So are you getting the six piece?

User Info Menu

Way to go! Very beautiful kits. I hope they sound as good as they look!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Sweet! So are you getting the six piece?
    Yes, siree! Very stoked about it! One more drum to play with. What could be sweeter?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    Way to go! Very beautiful kits. I hope they sound as good as they look!
    When I played the Gretsch Catalina in the store, I would have said that I was a standard kit kinda guy. Grew up on the fat rock sound, don'tcha know. But I really do like the sound of the shorter shells. I think they're more adaptable to various styles of music. Of course, as a beginning drummer, I'm just guessing. Don't want to get ahead of myself!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob
    Yes, siree! Very stoked about it! One more drum to play with. What could be sweeter?
    uhhhh...two more drums to play with trust me, in a year your gonna totally want that 8" add on.
    congrats on your order. i suggest you start out by changing all the stock batter side heads to a nice clear two ply for that fat rock sound. you wont regret getting the fusion sizes especially since you got the extra floor tom.
    the smaller sizes sound great when tuned lower.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip, Funky. I figured the stock heads would have to go. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to go with a single ply, or a 2 ply, so it's nice to get some advice on that one.

Have to admit that I keep checking the Musician's Friend website to see when my order has shipped. Nearly 24 hrs now and it's still in their warehouse. What up wid dat? Guess I'm kind of anxious for them to get here now that I've made a choice. But then who wouldn't be!

User Info Menu

Nearly 24 hrs now and it's still in their warehouse. What up wid dat?
    Chill. The warehouse guys are getting like $8.50 p/hr. That only buys You so much speed.

User Info Menu

LOL. Thanks for the reality check!

User Info Menu

Well, everything shipped as of tonight. I say everything because I'm going in on a bass guitar and amp for my brother for his birthday (July 4th). I took a couple of guitars over to his house a few weeks back and after giving some basic instruction and leaving a guitar and amp for my nephew to use, I have officially infected two more people with the music bug! We may have a small combo in the making.

User Info Menu

Congrats man, don't forget to get pics up when you get it set-up, man you must be going out of your mind waiting, I know I would be.

User Info Menu

Music bug is a good bug to have.... Im thinking about sitting down with some beer and writing another song tonight... Not sure though :S
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ddrumbum
    Congrats man, don't forget to get pics up when you get it set-up, man you must be going out of your mind waiting, I know I would be.
    Yeah, I have to admit I'm just a little excited (actually feeling a bit little a two year old waiting for the ice cream man ). I appreciate what I was able to do with my beginner set, and I am really looking forward to the upgrade. I know that I have continuing work to do on rudiments, but I also know that a more responsive kick pedal will really help me on my bass playing, too. I know the sound will improve as well.

And yes, I will post pics as soon as I get it set up. I expect delivery on Saturday.

Thanks for sharing my excitement, and hope your feeling better about things with your playing. BTW, my guess is that with all the back and forth stuff concerning your set, and having to set up over and over, your just a little fried at the moment. Bet with just a little break it will pass quickly. Let us know hoe you're doing. We care, man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    Music bug is a good bug to have.... Im thinking about sitting down with some beer and writing another song tonight... Not sure though :S
    Stevo,

Yeah, I agree on the bug thing. I came back to music later in my life, and I have found a creative outlet that I thought had died years ago. Cool to feel the rebirth! Enjoy your song writing! Wish I had that skill (I guess I need to go over to the Corrupt A Wish thread ), but it's certainly not here yet.

User Info Menu

lol.... If you need help on where to start. just give us a hoy or leave a thread. I have studied the area so im gonna be a good help to anyone! :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

BTW, my guess is that with all the back and forth stuff concerning your set, and having to set up over and over, your just a little fried at the moment. Bet with just a little break it will pass quickly. Let us know hoe you're doing. We care, man!
    I never thought of that, but YES, all the stupid drummsets I have gone thru, all the set-ups and tear downs(this would be fine if it was one kit, and I was not having continued problems and was out playing live), the tuning over and over again(I would not have to do this if I had just one good kit), the long trips to Seattle, YES pastor bob I think you are on to something, that is very weighing and I think that has alot to do with it, but I got my ddrums back, I got them tuned and set-up just right, so hopefully I can get back to enjoying my drumset.

Thanks and enjoy your new Gretsch, they truly are awesome drums, I wish my kit came with an extra tom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    lol.... If you need help on where to start. just give us a hoy or leave a thread. I have studied the area so im gonna be a good help to anyone! :>
    Cool! A new teacher. Seriously, though, I appreciate the offer. Always wanted to understand song writing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ddrumbum
    I never thought of that, but YES, all the stupid drummsets I have gone thru, all the set-ups and tear downs(this would be fine if it was one kit, and I was not having continued problems and was out playing live), the tuning over and over again(I would not have to do this if I had just one good kit), the long trips to Seattle, YES pastor bob I think you are on to something, that is very weighing and I think that has alot to do with it, but I got my ddrums back, I got them tuned and set-up just right, so hopefully I can get back to enjoying my drumset.

Thanks and enjoy your new Gretsch, they truly are awesome drums, I wish my kit came with an extra tom.
    You're welcome, and BTW, I wish I had your awesome finish. Well, not you personally, but your drums! Although, not to be insulting, I should say that you have a nice finish as well, DDB!
    Last edited by pastor_bob; 05-25-2007 at 10:02 AM.

User Info Menu

You're welcome, and BTW, I wish I had your awesome finish. Well, not you personally, but your drums!
    Your finish is awesome as well man, it almost looks the same yours is just a little darker, your kit looks great, but thanks.

User Info Menu

How much are those gretsch catilina sets? I've looked at those before and I remember them being a good price.

User Info Menu

599.00 or 699.00 depending on where and when you order. guitar center will def let you haggle down a bit. i bet you could get a hundred bucks off of thier regular price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRUM FMB
    How much are those gretsch catilina sets? I've looked at those before and I remember them being a good price.
    Funky's right. I got mine through the Muscian's Friend website for $699.00. I did get 12 months same as cash, so that helped the deal for me.

BTW, DFMB, I see you just joined the DrumChat family this month, and I've never met you before, so welcome!
    Last edited by pastor_bob; 05-26-2007 at 01:13 AM.