Thread: Slingerland Bass drum help

User Info Menu

Default Slingerland Bass drum help

probably from the early 70's. shell is is good shape but finish has lots of scratches and heads need replaced. all tension rods and lugs are in ok shape too.

This says its $50 but I cant tell what era the bass drum is from, I've wanted to put a vintage slingerland kit together for awhile, but is this drum really from the 70's? I don't know for sure that I'll invest but I was curious what signs to look for to make sure its actually from the 60's or 70's and how to tell if its a higher model? I don't want to invest in a vintage entry level kit.

Edit: I have done research in the past on badges, and this looks like a late 60's early 70's badge, but the finish is a new one for me to see.

Also I wasn't sure if this was posted under the right topic.
    Last edited by Zeta; 05-22-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    -Steven

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: Slingerland Bass drum help

Duco finish, mid 60s badge. Black and brass. Silver and black would be 70s and the scrip is different. That is a painted wood finish.

Catalogues at drumarchive.com

Information at Vintage Drum Guide . com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Duco finish, mid 60s badge. Black and brass. Silver and black would be 70s and the scrip is different. That is a painted wood finish.

Catalogues at drumarchive.com

Information at Vintage Drum Guide . com
    Thank you very much Ploughman, I was hoping you'd respond to this one lol. It looks like its a Stage band model (thats the only kit with a similar finish) but I may be wrong. and now I see the difference in script on the badges.

Since you have quite the beautiful collection of vintage drums, do you think that this is a good starting point to restore a vintage kit?

EDIT:Also the centered lugs are making me lean towards thing its a stage band
    Last edited by Zeta; 05-22-2011 at 04:34 PM.
    -Steven

ThePloughman Guest

It will probably be hard to find matching pieces. But.......... If you are desiring to put together an old school basic dance band type trap kit..... yeah, this will have the look, and a matching snare will be available. So if that is what you are going for..... yes. Bass, snare, hats, a crash-ride, cowbell, maybe wood blocks. You might find toms to match, but it could take a while.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    It will probably be hard to find matching pieces. But.......... If you are desiring to put together an old school basic dance band type trap kit..... yeah, this will have the look, and a matching snare will be available. So if that is what you are going for..... yes. Bass, snare, hats, a crash-ride, cowbell, maybe wood blocks. You might find toms to match, but it could take a while.
    Yeah I started looking for other drums in the series. None around lol. I think I'll be better with a different line, I'm afraid that I wont be able to find other drums that look similar. I'll keep it on my mind, but I might be better off finding a 2 or 3 piece kit to recover instead of 1 at a time of a less common kit.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Thanks for the link to the drumarchive ploughman! I like the full catalog zip files they have to download.

I was looking at the catalog and it could either be from a Swingster, Stage Band or Jam Session kit (pgs 10 and 11). Swingster bass drums have a single tension center lug while the latter two have separate tension center lugs. Page 10 has a picture of a kit with black and silver lacquer finish.

Would the shells on these be the same as the bass drums on their other kits? GK Deluxe, Windsor, etc... With the difference being center lugs vs 2 separate lugs?

Zeta, what are planning to do? Restore and put together a kit to factory specs? Or put together a kit with pcs in "good" condition?
    Last edited by fixthedoor; 05-26-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Kit: 65 Slingerland Modern Solo Outfit

User Info Menu

I was hoping to restore it, maybe not back to factory specs, but at least restore it and give it life again. Just looking for a vintage kit to have as a unique kit to have
    -Steven