Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evans Torque Key

User Info Menu

Default Evans Torque Key

Anybody have one? if not you seriously should, mine showed up today along with a gig tray(I have always wanted a nice gig tray), a hi-hat attachment that attaches to a cymbal stand(absolutely awesome)and a cymbal stacker.

Anyway back to the Evan torque key, this key is absolutely awesome, it makes tuning drums FUN and very easy and the results are fantastic, I just really felt like I had to share this with everyone, because if you are struggling at all with tuning, buy this key, you will be so glad you did, and it is only $17.

User Info Menu

Very cool ddrumbum! I use a drum dial, but they are rather expensive compared to the torque key. Thanks for sharing!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I have one. And if you have problems tuning it might get you close. However, it makes my drums sound like a horse's behind. Equal tension does not create equal tone in all the lugs. Not by a long shot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente
    I have one. And if you have problems tuning it might get you close. However, it makes my drums sound like a horse's behind. Equal tension does not create equal tone in all the lugs. Not by a long shot.
    Then you are doing something very wrong, because mine works like a champ, I can't even believe how good it work, it provides equal tome to each lug, I love I think it works flawlessly.

User Info Menu

Im in between. If the drum is casted perfectly. As is the skin. Equal tension on every rod should pull it to the same tone .But as we learn in physics kids. There are always losses.... I would think tension them. Then modify the tone with a standard key.... Thus prolly as best you can get them .
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

well again my key works flawlessly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ddrumbum
    well again my key works flawlessly.
    Honestly, I doubt it. I'm sure it may be an improvement, but as for the same tone from each lug.......not happenin.

User Info Menu

Hey, DDB, the one thing that I read about the Evans Torque Key is that the lugs should be well lubricated. Otherwise, the lugs could bind giving a false reading of tension to the torque key. This could be one of the factors that makes people experience this key a little differently. Also, the shells of each individual kit will differ slightly, so people can have different experiences with the key. Glad it's working so well for you, though!

BTW, Until I read an article about drum maintenance, I had no idea that the drums should be broken down on a regular schedule to do a little cleaning and lubricating. Moving parts, sure, but the whole kit? It never occurred to me!
    Last edited by pastor_bob; 05-27-2007 at 01:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente
    Honestly, I doubt it. I'm sure it may be an improvement, but as for the same tone from each lug.......not happenin.
    Dude your wrong, this works flawlessly for me, obviously not for you, but it does for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob
    Hey, DDB, the one thing that I read about the Evans Torque Key is that the lugs should be well lubricated. Otherwise, the lugs could bind giving a false reading of tension to the torque key. This could be one of the factors that makes people experience this key a little differently. Also, the shells of each individual kit will differ slightly, so people can have different experiences with the key. Glad it's working so well for you, though!

BTW, Until I read an article about drum maintenance, I had no idea that the drums should be broken down on a regular schedule to do a little cleaning and lubricating. Moving parts, sure, but the whole kit? It never occurred to me!
    I think you have a great point here pastor.

I tear mine down about every three months just to make sure all the screws and bolts and everything is nice and tight, lubricated and clean.

Also I suggest everytime you take your heads off, dip the tip of your tension rods in vasoline, this keeps the them well lubricated and smooth.

User Info Menu

I tear mine down about every three months just to make sure all the screws and bolts and everything is nice and tight, lubricated and clean.

Also I suggest everytime you take your heads off, dip the tip of your tension rods in vasoline, this keeps the them well lubricated and smooth.
    Thanks for the tip, DDB.

User Info Menu

No prob.

User Info Menu

Well DDB i definitely think i will pick this up, i was going to go all out with the DrumDial but i will try this out first. Thanks for posting it dude.One thing what if you dont know what tension you want your drums at?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sanzen
    Well DDB i definitely think i will pick this up, i was going to go all out with the DrumDial but i will try this out first. Thanks for posting it dude.One thing what if you dont know what tension you want your drums at?
    I am tellin ya man, it works awesome for me, if you need any help let me know.

User Info Menu

That would be why yours work perfectly against others. Because yours gives correct pressure readings. I knew it was physically correct :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    That would be why yours work perfectly against others. Because yours gives correct pressure readings. I knew it was physically correct :P
    So you can't say it is the key, cause it works just fine, if you are having problems, check you lugs and tension rods, there more than likely your problem.

User Info Menu

Hey DDB, I got the Evans Torque key today, and it really is amazing. I went around my kit with it, and started by loosening all the tension rods. Then I went back and did nothing but use the torque key. Everything went off without a hitch, and I just kept dialing up the torque until I had the sound I wanted. Went back and checked the tuning with a stick at each lug and it was amazing how even it was. And that was without lubricating the tension rods.

Thanks for the tip. Bring on the Gretsch Kit!

User Info Menu

Hey DDB, I got the Evans Torque key today, and it really is amazing. I went around my kit with it, and started by loosening all the tension rods. Then I went back and did nothing but use the torque key. Everything went off without a hitch, and I just kept dialing up the torque until I had the sound I wanted. Went back and checked the tuning with a stick at each lug and it was amazing how even it was. And that was without lubricating the tension rods.

Thanks for the tip. Bring on the Gretsch Kit!
    Right on man, told ya. So was it the best $17 you ever spent on drum stuff or what?

User Info Menu

Well, the best $23. Brought it at one of my local shops. Have to drive 20 miles to Guitar Center. Probably would have worked out about the same considering the price of gas. Really appreciate the advice. BTW, who are you really?

User Info Menu

Well, the best $23. Brought it at one of my local shops. Have to drive 20 miles to Guitar Center. Probably would have worked out about the same considering the price of gas. Really appreciate the advice. BTW, who are you really?
    My name is Kevin and I am a drummer lol

User Info Menu

Is anyone here from w.a. australia? More specifically around albany?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Nah mate. N.S.W.

Sorry =P

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

doh :P it would be cool being really close to someone here to jam with.... MAybe one day when were the number1 place on the internet to hang as drummers :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    doh :P it would be cool being really close to someone here to jam with.... MAybe one day when were the number1 place on the internet to hang as drummers :P
    Stevo, I read on another thread where things got a little tense and you were thinking of leaving DrumChat. Glad it didn't happen. We don't all have to agree about everything here, just be willing to exchange our thoughts and remember that anyone can have a bad day and come across as a bit harsh.

Good to have our Aussie friends here!

User Info Menu

I wasnt thinking of leaving drum chat :P I was intisipating my forced departure from not holding my tongue. Trust me when its this late and i had a beer or three. I dont really care what i type so long as my point is crossed :P I gotta start learning to apreciate other people more but people who get offended by words kinda need a reality check. There are way worse things going on in the world..... No offence anyone. Its just how it is.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters