Thread: Deal Or No Deal?

User Info Menu

Default Deal Or No Deal?

I found a deal online on some Wuhan Cymbals, of which I have heard no end of praise. So heres the bargain I stumbled upon:
    • 10" Wuhan Splash
    • 14" Wuhan Thin Crash
    • 16" Wuhan Crash
    • 18" Wuhan Medium Thin Crash
    • 20" Wuhan Medium Ride
    • 18" Wuhan China
    • 14" Wuhan Sonically Matched Hi-Hats
    • FREE Wuhan Cymbals Bag
    • FREE Wedgie Cymbal Washer Kit
    • FREE Standard Drum Key
    • FREE Wuhan Vinyl Logo

All this for £205.93 ($332.50USD) + £89.34 ($144.25USD) Delivery Charges from America. Sound reasonable to you guys? Would you recommend these? By the way, all of the above are new - not used.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Deal Or No Deal?

Wuhan cymbals have a reputation for a couple of things:

1.) Being very trashy sounding in nature - great for a china, not so great for a crash
    2.) not being very durable

My first splash cymbal was a 12" Wuhan splash, purchased because I got it ultra cheap - $19 I think. It cost me to mount it than it cost.

I ended up giving that cymbal away and replaced it first with a 10" Paiste Alpha, which was better, and then later a Sabian AAX, which is better yet.

My thought is that when it comes to cymbals, you usually get what you pay for, but that's just my personal thought on the matter.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I've looked at a couple of different brands and lines within said brand. Been looking at Paiste PST5, Alpha and Rude series' as well as Sabian B8Pro, xs20 and APX. I even fantasized at one point about a set of A-Custom Zildjian's. But I'm just keeping an open eye.

User Info Menu

My idea bout acquiring cymbals is that they should be accumulated carefully over time, although starting with a cymbal pack is a great way to get started. My first pack was an AAX Stage pack with hats, a crash and a ride. I'm still using the hats and the ride, (broke the original crash) and now I'm sporting two HHX studio crashes (16 and 18) along with the AAX splash - a small setup, but a nice one that gets me where I need to go.

User Info Menu

Well, I'm aiming for a set of hats, 2 crashes, a china and a ride. Just because I'm learning quickly and I'm rather limited for song choices on 1 crash and a ride.

User Info Menu

I hear you - you definitely need the tools to do the job. If that's what you have money for, then by all means go that route, but keep your eyes peeled for good deals on used gear. I'm a big fan of used gear and have gotten a lot of stuff that way - I once picked up a Sabian AA El Sabor ride that I ended up flipping, but it was a pretty decent ride and totally crashable! I got that ride for $80.

Also keep your eyes open for a used set of Zildjian New Beat hats, or Sabian AA Medium hats - they sound great on almost all genres of music and can be had fairly reasonably on the used market. I've toyed with the idea of getting a set of used hats myself, but I just never do because it's tough to justify when I've got an arguably great sounding set of hats already.

Good luck - just keep your eyes open for good deals, new or used, and see where that takes you.

Last thought for the moment - if you do get the Wuhans, you'll likely wind up looking to upgrade and replace them, probably sooner rather than later, but they'll get you by for now. Question - are you a practice room player or a gigging drummer? I've pretty much always played out with my gear - only praise band settings, but I'm still playing with other people and playing for other people, so I wanted my gear to sound as good as possible.

User Info Menu

I just got finished reading some cymbal reviews on the Wuhan cymbal packs. They do seem to be pretty well regarded - might not be a bad way to go.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

User Info Menu

Hi Aaaidn I heard you mention Zildjian A's. These cymbals are great as I own and only plays A's Avedis vintage ( 70's). They revolutionized the rock era's from the 50'60'70'. The most versatile cymbal you will ever need for any style of music. Just thought I would mention that. Good luck

User Info Menu

Yeah, I saw some A Customs needing ridding of for a move for £200 - Hats 2 crashes and a ride - but they went hastily.

User Info Menu

Aaaidn, as trickg mentioned, the Wuhan cymbals will have a hint of china in then. If you are cool with that, then they a great way to get a full set of cymbals at a cheap price. I would suggest that you have a listen to them before taking the plunge, if you can.

I prefer getting my cymbals used - one at a time - and letting my ears decide on each cymbal. It takes more time, but you can get better quality cymbals if you keep your eyes open. The key is to check them out carefully before buying. I had a line on a 19" HHX Crash for $75 the other day that the owner said was in good condition. When he contacted me, I told him that the picture was not clear enough to see the actual condition, and wanted to know if there were any blemishes,keyholing, or cracks. That's when he admited that there were small cracks at the hole in the bell. I passed, and the next day he dropped the price to $50.

I have only bought 2 brand new cymbals at full price - a 16" A Custom Crash, and an 18" Wuhan China - and I am very happy with the sounds of my cymbals.

BTW, I recently picked up a couple of Dream cymbals for my 4 piece kit (used, of course), and I have been pleasantly surprised by those cymbals.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I just want something that sounds good for rock>black metal - thats what I listen to and play. So anything like that and I would prefer a full upgrade because everything I have sounds awful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    My idea bout acquiring cymbals is that they should be accumulated carefully over time, although starting with a cymbal pack is a great way to get started. My first pack was an AAX Stage pack with hats, a crash and a ride. I'm still using the hats and the ride, (broke the original crash) and now I'm sporting two HHX studio crashes (16 and 18) along with the AAX splash - a small setup, but a nice one that gets me where I need to go.
    I so want a set of HHX Evolution hats and HHX crashes! They are steep though!

User Info Menu

I wouldn't use any Wuhan's except maybe a china crash. I'm not personally a fan, no matter the deal.
    Gretsch Catalina Maple Fusion 6pc. Deep Amber

10" Zildjian Titanium ZXT Splash | 14" Zildjian A Quick Beat Hi-Hats | 17" Zildjian Custom K Hybrid Crash | 19" Zildjian Custom K Hybrid Crash | 21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

I know Drum Bum has the 16 Wuhan China on sale right now for 29.99 USD.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Wuhan makes an "S" series of cymbals that obviously don't sound like Zildjian or Paiste but are a fraction of the price. Those are the best sounding Wuhans I'm aware of. I had a set and one night during a gig I switched out to the Wuhans and then back to my Zildjians over the course of the evening.

I obviously noticed but none of the band members did nor did the crowd throw any more tomatoes than normal.

Wuhan sounds opinions are as subjective as everything else.

After many years of different cymbals I fell head over heels for my Sabian Paragons. I used my Wuhans for practice and since I practiced more than I played I got accustomed to their sound and when I'd play live with my Paragons, it was a bit unnatural sounding at first, at least. But after a few songs then the Paragons became appreciated again.

In summary, "S" series Wuhans are a good alternative cymbal set for consideration of low budget.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I love the paragons, I saw a few on the Bay. Crash for £80, HHats for £60. Gotta say I was very tempted.

User Info Menu

I have no experience with the S models, as they're fairly new (I think), but the Chinas are the real deal, and their splash cymbals sound good to me...nice and trashy. I've tinkered with their other non-S cymbals and was not fond of them.

For the type of music you're playing I'd recommend looking for something else. There's no shortage of good sounding used pro-level cymbals out there.

User Info Menu

Considering he's playing hard metal, I wouldn't think some trashiness to the sound would necessarily be a bad thing.

Come to think of it, there's definitely a darker, almost trashiness to my HHX crashes too - one of the reasons I picked those is due to how full sounding they are an how easy they are to get to open up - I don't have to hit them very hard at all, which I suppose is a bit like their byline for AAXs, "tap with your finger or thrash them with a stick."