Thread: Backing Tracks

User Info Menu

Default Backing Tracks

I'm starting to see more and more people playing with backing tracks live, either running them from a computer or an ipod. I get the basic idea of how it works, but I don't really have a set up for it yet. Does anyone have any experience playing to backing tracks? Specifically, what sort of set up would you run to use them, and what changes you make to your playing when you're using them.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Default Re: Backing Tracks

Do you have any experience playing to drumless songs? As I remember there was a site that had a whole library of submits, I used those a bit in my practicing. I actually thought it helped some, because often times when I would play and record myself to a regular song, my strokes would be off by the tiniest fractions of seconds. As you could imagine, it sounded really bad, unfit for any type of drum cover. With the drumless though, I got a chance to play by feel and not be more or less pressured to match it stroke for stroke. I think if you google music4drums you should find it fairly quick.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

That's a good tip, I'll probably look in to that. It would certainly be awesome for covers, I never thought about that. When I say backing tracks though, I'm more referring to the loops and additional tracks that a lot of bands are using live these days.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

they make there own "backing tracks" in DAW's from one shots, live recording and VST's

i would suggest to never write a song around a backing track, rather make a backing track to suit the song

so heres your options ...sample the tracks like a dj ,buy the tracks or make your own

User Info Menu

I understand what your talking about. One example is a group like "U2".
    There drummer wears either in ear or full cover headphones. Most of the time the whole band will have in ear headphones. These shows are very well rehearsed. On songs that have keyboards, synth, or recorded strings, instruments, etc, that are not on stage or in the band, they are usually played from a DAW and mixed accordingly in to the mixing console. Then a headphone mix of everything is sent to the Drummer/Musicians.
    There will be a intro click of usually 1. 2. 1234 and the song starts. According to the player or situation the click continues in the headphones but not audible to the audience, then the band members play along accordingly.
    This is really not hard to pull off and sounds great in the right situations.
    You could actually do this with a laptop and audio/midi interface. If your keyoard player has something like a Yamaha ES keyboard you can do it with that. But you have to have good in ear phones, or headphones, or you could run it through your personal on stage monitor. Run the midi/audio parts into the mix and supply the click to the headphone/monitor mix and the rest to the outside and headphone/monitor mix.
    Last edited by VIbes; 05-25-2011 at 02:17 PM.