Thread: Valé Bill Hunter, Australian actor.

User Info Menu

Default Valé Bill Hunter, Australian actor.

Tributes are flowing for Bill Hunter, one of Australia's most beloved actors, who has died at the age of 71 after a battle with cancer.

His manager Mark Morrissey said the actor was surrounded by family and friends at a hospice in the Melbourne suburb of Kew when he died just after 8pm on Saturday night.Hunter was admitted to the hospice earlier this week after refusing to go into hospital. The acting legend had inoperable cancer.

In a storied career which spanned 50 years, Hunter worked with most of Australia's notable directors and actors. It was, however, his role as Bob the mechanic in 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' (1994) that ensured his special place in the hearts and minds of the people of Broken Hill.

Mr Morrissey described Hunter as a fine actor, a true storyteller and a great friend, saying he will be sorely missed. "During the course of his long and esteemed career, Bill touched the lives of many people," Mr Morrissey said.

Mr Morrissey said Hunter was "much loved, a gentleman, an inspiration to fellow actors, a journeyman, and a rogue".

Hunter's list of work reads like a history of Australian film and television, with appearances in more than 100 big and small screen productions.

He worked alongside Mel Gibson in Peter Weir's Gallipoli (1981), played the meddling ballroom federation president Barry Fife in Baz Luhrmann's Strictly Ballroom (1992) and starred as then-newcomer Toni Collette's father in Muriel's Wedding (1994). At the same time as filming Muriel's Wedding, he worked on PJ Hogan's The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert (1994), starring alongside Terence Stamp, Guy Pearce and Hugo Weaving. More recently, Hunter worked on Red Dog, TV miniseries The Pacific, Finding Nemo, Crackerjack and Luhrmann's Australia. In 1978 he won an AFI award for Best Actor in a Leading Role for his part as Len Maguire in the movie Newsfront, which won eight AFIs that year, including Best Film.

Hunter, born in Ballarat, Victoria, started his career in television in the 1960s and worked on many Australian shows including Homicide, Prisoner, Matlock Police, SeaChange and Police Rescue.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ_1sxDjNhE"]YouTube - ‪Bill Hunter tribute - The 7pm Project‬‏[/ame]
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 05-24-2011 at 07:30 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: Valé Bill Hunter, Australian actor.

Yeah Drumble, there goes another legend of the Aussie screen. We're all gonna miss him.
    I think I liked him in Prescilla the best. That was classic!!
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Default Re: Valé Bill Hunter, Australian actor.

What a career and an actor. I didn't know who he was until I watched that though, thanks for posting. He shall be missed.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments