Thread: The end

User Info Menu

Default The end

Tonight we officially ended our concert season at school. Our spring percussion ensemble concert was tonight. Was quite fun. I played marimba on a piece entitled "A Walk in the Park," and my part contained a snippet of the Meow Mix song! Haha. It also hit me tonight that the seniors in the section, and in my high school band in general, are gone now. They have taken their finals already and are out of school, no longer seniors. I realized how much of an impact they really have made on me, both on my life as a percussionist and as a person in general, after only a year of knowing them. I really am gonna miss them, and i just felt like sharing my thanks to my senior friends for being awesome role models and making my freshman year of high school awesome
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Default Re: The end

haha i remember that Meow Mix song from UK TV; It was like the most annoying thing ever!
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

I felt the same when I graduated from school my first year because a lot of my friends in the band were a year younger than I was.

You can still keep in contact thru e-mail, facebook or texting. The distance will be greater once everyone starts moving out to college.......just keep in touch with those that are close.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

It's good that you had a great year and a good performance - those are the kinds of things that will help to fuel your fire and desire to continue with percussion and drumming, and those are the memories and friends you'll always look back on as being some of the best of your life. FaceBook has brought a lot of that back because even though more than 20 years has passed, it's like some of us have hardly changed, even though we've all moved on with our lives, have marriages, kids, homes, careers, etc. It's great to stay in touch with those people and like the others in the thread, I recommend you keep in touch with those who were important to you as well.

So here's the question - next year when you are older and there are newer, younger faces in the crowd, are you going to be as good of an influence to those younger folks as the seniors were for you? I tend to think the answer to that will be "yes."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tah821 View Post
    Tonight we officially ended our concert season at school. Our spring percussion ensemble concert was tonight. Was quite fun. I played marimba on a piece entitled "A Walk in the Park," and my part contained a snippet of the Meow Mix song! Haha. It also hit me tonight that the seniors in the section, and in my high school band in general, are gone now. They have taken their finals already and are out of school, no longer seniors. I realized how much of an impact they really have made on me, both on my life as a percussionist and as a person in general, after only a year of knowing them. I really am gonna miss them, and i just felt like sharing my thanks to my senior friends for being awesome role models and making my freshman year of high school awesome
    Well said tah821. I was in band from 5th grade through my senior year. One of the saddest days of my life was our marching bands Memorial Day parade in May 1977. I was graduating about two weeks later, and it would be the last time I played in band. We finished it, I broke down my Tri-Toms, and wished the young man that I had been mentoring on them the best of luck during his next few years with them. I hope that you'll be the same influence on the up and coming guys in your HS band. It'll be worth it trust me. I still keep in touch and have reunions with them 34 years later!

sk
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Cool Re: The end

Hey, tah,

It's not necessarily "the end." Your senior buddies are moving on, but they apparently left you with some good memories and great ideas you can share with the freshmen who are coming in next school year...and something tells me by your senior year, some freshman percussionist will be thinking of you in much the same way!

That Meow Mix song has been around for some 40 years, since the brand was originally introduced in the United States in 1973 by what was then Ralston Purina Company. (Come to think of it, that "meow-meow-meow-meow" riff is a great ostinato on which you could build some wild percussive effects...you never know!)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Sophomore year's so much more fun tah! TRUST MEEEE
    Last edited by jordison515; 05-24-2011 at 04:05 PM.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

And besides, now you're the role model. Keep their spirit alive in your HS!
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave